WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the radio clocks I see are for Japan/Germany/US - does Canada use the same towers as the US?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
migo,

Canada's NRC Atomic Clock does not broadcast synchronizing radio time signals like the American ones do. So there are large parts of Canada (especially northern areas), that do not get the radio signal. Therefore we rely on the American atomic clock radio signals for radio-synchronizing watches.

James

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, so in Vancouver I shouldn't have any problems with a watch that supports American signals?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
migo,

I wouldn't think it would be a problem to get the signal. I had no problems getting it from Calgary when I lived in Alberta.

But I cannot say hand-on-heart that you'll get it because there's a number of issues with radio-watches and signals (same frequency of signal and watch - e.g. the European signal versus the Japanese signal versus the North American signal, etc). I'm also not sure what background electronic noise does to the signal the further it travels from the source (e.g. signal strength and dissipation, etc).

If it's a world radio watch vice a European or Japaense version, it should be okay. I made the mistake of buying a radio-watch that only synched on the European signal, and learned all fo this the hard way.

Best of luck - when they work they are very neat.

Regards,

James

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking at a Casio because that's within my current budget, so I'm assuming that should be relatively hassle free.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts