WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to distract you guys from the football matches, but a wonderful surprise was waiting for me when I got back to the house this afternoon -- a vintage Raketa dive watch from a seller in Eastern Europe.

This solidly built timepiece was obviously built for real utility.

The 19-jewel Raketa 2614 movement is housed in a heavy stainless steel case with a screw-down crown. Unlike the screw-down crowns on Vostok watches, this crown is spring-loaded and doesn't 'wobble'. The serial number on the movement is 12527.

The hands, numerals and dots on the face are covered with a massive amount of lume, which is now exhausted. I checked the watch with my trusty Russian dosimeter and found that the lume is 'safe', i.e., not radium-based.

The rotating bezel is made of heavy black plastic with inset markers painted in dark orange. It is not racheted and it freely turns in either direction.

I found this watch described and illustrated in the 2nd volume of Ceyp's "Faszination...". It is described as "found only rarely". However, no date of manufacture is mentioned. As best I can figure, it was produced in the late 70s or early 80s. Does anybody out there have more precise knowledge about this beast or its production date?

It is in great condition, but it is used and has been worn. Even so, the condition of the painted numbers on the bezel tells me that it probably didn't see much, if any, actual underwater use.

As usual, sorry for the poor photography.

Okay. Back to football.

-- Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot. It's nice too be a bit distracted from the moment \_O obsession and irrepressible nervous pressure !
You've got a nice Raketa. I did not know that there was diving Raketa:p. Due to the famous movement reliabilty, it was - and still is - a very safe timing tool for sure |>

Kind regards,

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Hi Mark, i have exactly the same watch, and Ill-Phil too (Phil, where are you? :-S ).
My watch differs from your watch (and from the Phil's watch) only for the numbers on the bezel, white and not orange. These are two old (and very bad) pics, together with the two other Amphibia (Poljot and Vostok).
The Raketa diver has a very sturdy construction, with caseback and gaskets that are even thicker than the Vostok! Especially the gasket is very impressive (thickness 1,5 mm). The case is stainless steel, with chrome-plated crown (my watch has a light loss of chrome on it).
The crown makes very few turns screwing it, but it is very massive and solid. The lume still work, and the hands are original, with specific design.

Attachments

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,329 Posts
Mark Gordon said:
The 19-jewel Raketa 2614 movement is housed in a heavy stainless steel case with a screw-down crown. Unlike the screw-down crowns on Vostok watches, this crown is spring-loaded and doesn't 'wobble'. The serial number on the movement is 12527.
I guess this is actually a 2609N or 2609NA built with the pre-stamped bridge for a 2614. How typically Raketa; I have a Braille watch with a movement stamped 2609NA but is definitely a 2601N with the heavy-duty pinion for the minute hand (broke my hand-puller :-( )

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Michele & Chascomm

Interesting observation, Chascom. Actually, when I opened the back I was surprised to see the movement marked 2614. The watch illustrated in Ceyp has a 2609 in it. That's what I expected to find.

I became more confused when I looked at the photos of both movements that appear towards the back of Levenberg volume-2. For the life of me, both the 19-jewel 2609 and the 19-jewel 2614 movements look idential. How do you tell them apart? Are there any distinguishing features on the movement?

Michele - based on the condition of the lume, I am going to guess that the version with the orange painted bezel is older. The lume in the numerals on your dial looks to be whiter and less 'exhausted' than on mine, i.e., less chalky grey. Of course, this might just be an artifact of the photography or color balance. What do you think?

Any idea of when these things were made?

-- Mark

·
Registered
538 Posts
Re: Thanks Michele & Chascomm

Mark Gordon said:
For the life of me, both the 19-jewel 2609 and the 19-jewel 2614 movements look idential. How do you tell them apart? Are there any distinguishing features on the movement?
2614 movement has date indicator.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Andy_I said:
2614 movement has date indicator.
Thanks, Andy. That explains why the back of the movements look identical... They are !
-- Mark

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,329 Posts
Where is Phill?

Now you mention it, where is he?

·
Registered
4,195 Posts

Mark Gordon said:
Michele - based on the condition of the lume, I am going to guess that the version with the orange painted bezel is older. The lume in the numerals on your dial looks to be whiter and less 'exhausted' than on mine, i.e., less chalky grey. Of course, this might just be an artifact of the photography or color balance. What do you think?

Any idea of when these things were made?

-- Mark
I was lucky to find a watch in quite good conditions. Several Raketa Amphibia that i have seen (the watch is very rare anyway) have non-original hands, especially the seconds hand. Probably they are quite fragile if removed. The lume still works on my watch - not very bright of course, but hands and numerals are very big, so they are quite visible in the dark, even with a weak lume.
In my opinion, the watch was produced in the '80s. Between '70s and '80s, the first ETA-inspired 2609 was replaced by the current Raketa movement.
Also, is possible that the movement has been replaced on your watch (maybe installing a 2614 and removing the calendar module).
This is the Phil's watch, in good conditions, with only the lume missing on the seconds hand.
The lume seems still active on his watch too.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

michele said:
Also, is possible that the movement has been replaced on your watch (maybe installing a 2614 and removing the calendar module).=[/IMG]
Yes, Michele, it is possible that the movement in mine was replaced. Chascomm's theory might also be correct. I will have to remove it and take a look next time I see Ah Soh.

Phil's watch is in beautiful condition. It shouldn't be difficult to replace the missing lume on the second hand.

-- Mark

·
Registered
4,195 Posts
Found this export Cornavin-signed version in my HD B-)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts