WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 114 Posts

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Comrades,

As I teased in my article this summer, the Raketa Polar has been re-issued with a new production run of the venerable 2623 24-hour movement. This will be the first time Raketa has re-issued a classic watch on their modern production facility in St. Petersburg, Russian Federation and the second time in the last 10 years that Raketa have brought the 2623 out of retirement.

Specifications, history and pre-order links are found here.

What does everyone think? Have a good day.

· Registered
313 Posts
Very cool. The 2623.H looks like it's had a bit of a finishing makeover, at least on the barrel wheel. Also, one of the train bridge jewels (I think it's the pallet fork post) doesn't have a retaining spring anymore, likely because the design no longer needs one, which is cool. Did the design of the pallet fork change? Are there any other changes to the movement from the ones made in the 70s?

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very cool. The 2623.H looks like it's had a bit of a finishing makeover, at least on the barrel wheel. Also, one of the train bridge jewels (I think it's the pallet fork post) doesn't have a retaining spring anymore, likely because the design no longer needs one, which is cool. Did the design of the pallet fork change? Are there any other changes to the movement from the ones made in the 70s?
Raketa was pretty mum on it during our interview other than it has been "modernized." I suspect it's all small tweaks like you mentioned and yes the industrial finishing is much higher quality than even my sample from 2012.

Instagram @open_escapement

· Registered
589 Posts
Nice watch and probably a good idea. Like more the old ones though

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

· Registered
2,420 Posts
This is incredible! I am a fan of the Polar, as I own the previous modern model, but I was never particular to the original's funky gold case, not like I'd ever find one for sale anyways. However, something with these renders really resonates with me. It pairs well with both straps unlike anything else out there. While they make it look like a dinner plate I'm surprised they are in fact keeping the 35mm size, so much better than the modern 43mm. I could hardly justify the one (with discount), I doubt I can bring myself to purchase a second, but I guess there's still some time.

· Registered
10,724 Posts
Now that's more like it, Raketa, a closer version of the original vintage instead of a modern combination of vintage designs like their modern amphibian with "0" where "12" should be. The "0" only makes sense to me on the iconic "big zero" design. Also dislike the modern copernicus design which actually combines 2 vintage Raketa dials in a clumsy way.....same with the "avante garde".

If you can't find a modern designer capable of creating new "Raketa"esque designs then just create mechanically-modern versions of the beloved vintage designs. Collectors will be thrilled and non-collectors won't even know.

Just my very humble opinion, of course.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Love that case but the watch is kind of small for modern wearers at 35mm and it's about 100 Euros more than their 44mm 24 hr. automatic 200m wr version (which has the "0"). I guess you have to pay for "limited edition".
One of the things I don't understand is why they didn't bother to ensure a higher WR rating considering they updated the case design. We know they have the tooling to do 100+ meters, why leave it at 3?

· Registered
10,724 Posts
One of the things I don't understand is why they didn't bother to ensure a higher WR rating considering they updated the case design. We know they have the tooling to do 100+ meters, why leave it at 3?

Agree. A more modern-cased version of stainless with some rated depth with that or very similar dial (I wouldn't even object to auto.) would be very tempting. Wouldn't even need the fancy lugs, just leave the dial and hands alone for the most part.

Raketa, during its soviet heyday, had the best and most creative designers, in my opinion, with a number of creations that didn't copy the western Europeans. It's a difficult legacy to continue.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agree. A more modern-cased version of stainless with some rated depth with that or very similar dial (I wouldn't even object to auto.) would be very tempting. Wouldn't even need the fancy lugs, just leave the dial and hands alone for the most part.

Raketa, during its soviet heyday, had the best and most creative designers, in my opinion, with a number of creations that didn't copy the western Europeans. It's a difficult legacy to continue.
Indeed, they're going to need to find someone with really fresh ideas to innovate for them. My PR contact I worked with over the summer has already come and gone, I wonder how high their turnover is...?

· Registered
157 Posts
Indeed, they're going to need to find someone with really fresh ideas to innovate for them. My PR contact I worked with over the summer has already come and gone, I wonder how high their turnover is...?

Fresh ideas and innovation is good but I'm glad they had the courage not to modify this watch so much in the re-issue. Even if I haven't seen it live yet I just love this design:
They will probably have plenty of time to develop the design in later editions.

There are other models from Raketa that I like too. I'm not asking for new editions of these watches but they've got material to work with. I like these:

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Fresh ideas and innovation is good but I'm glad they had the courage not to modify this watch so much in the re-issue. Even if I haven't seen it live yet I just love this design:
They will probably have plenty of time to develop the design in later editions.

There are other models from Raketa that I like too. I'm not asking for new editions of these watches but they've got material to work with. I like these:

I think it's far more challenging to make a good "modern" interpretation of classic designs than to make brand new ones.

1 - 20 of 114 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.