WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So trying to keep it short, I really liked the original Raketa polar, but I wasn't so sure about the gold nor the funky case shape, not like I would have found one to begin with. Instead I purchased Raketa's modern Polar a few years ago, and you can find my less-than-perfect thoughts written here. Upon learning of the vintage reissue I considered hard, given the price, whether to take the dive. David's attentiveness in Raketa's official thread, knowing it's a one-time limited edition, and that they had it discounted for a limited time, pushed me over the edge. Unfortunately that was right around when Covid-19 was taking over, and so production had been delayed until recently.

Of note, on the mention from another member, Dinkan, I asked if Ludmilla Y. Voynik, Raketa's 80 year old, 63 years senior head engineer could sign the caseback of the watch. While I believe they have laser engraved her full name and signature, I made it clear knowing the current climate that I did not wish her to go out of her way to fulfill the request. Regardless, this subtle hallmark gratefully elevates my example over the other 198 or so in existence with a direct connection to Raketa's past, in spite of their modern controversial changes. This is unlike so many other brands that are just a revived name, with no connection to their past at all. Included with the watch was a hand-signed postcard from Ludmilla as well.

These hasty pictures really do not do the watch justice, so I intend to take this weekend to take more appropriate photos.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Nice watch! I have the white textured dial version with Arabic numerals and blue inner bezel numbers and wear it all the time.

Sent from my [null] using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So on further inspection I noticed these two cracks along the edge of the crystal. The bottom one between 5 and 6 o'clock being distinctly visible while worn. While the box was extremely well wrapped, the watch itself was rather loose inside the box. I've contacted their manager, to see what they say. On top of the issues I faced with my previous watch, this is quite annoying.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Congrats on your acquisition Arizone ... and sharing it with us . This is most splendid !!
IMO, the regular model is so utterly un-interesting, whereas this re-edition is simply just stunning.
The shape, the proportions, the colours ... what a great watch !!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
It's a nice looking watch. I wouldn't worry about the cracked lens. Just tell everybody the lady dropped it while signing it. It adds character.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Watch is beautiful. Congrats for purchase.
The cracks are unacceptable for me. Generally damage on a new good is unacceptable; when we are speaking about a 1300$ watch even more.
This said there are a number of ways the company can deal with it and before I start (again) my boring dissertation on “modern raketa not sure about price” I will see how they handle the issue.

I don’t remember is the glass sapphire or something else?? Cracked sapphire would be very weird and quite worrying; other materials less and you could probably replace for less. By the way, I think replace could take quite long..

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
The cracks are unacceptable for me. Generally damage on a new good is unacceptable; when we are speaking about a 1300$ watch even more.
This said there are a number of ways the company can deal with it and before I start (again) my boring dissertation on “modern raketa not sure about price” I will see how they handle the issue.

I don’t remember is the glass sapphire or something else?? Cracked sapphire would be very weird and quite worrying; other materials less and you could probably replace for less. By the way, I think replace could take quite long..
it's acrylic

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

I agree. Totally unacceptable. Frankly speaking I do not see how Raketa can not fix this for Arizone. Lots of potential buyers read this forum and this thread and the outcome of this issue will make a difference.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I love my watch!
The original watch is one of the rarest Soviet era watches and I had been looking for an original for a long time when this opportunity appeared.
This is probably the closest I can get to the original. I also like the signature on my caseback from Ludmilla Voynik who was a member of the original team of engineers that developed the original watch in 1970.
IMG_20200529_162641.jpg
IMG_20200529_signatur.jpg

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm glad you see it like that RedFroggy.
I'm not a scientist but this watch has much of what I look for in a watch. The original watch was given to a group of scientists participating in a scientific expedition in the 70's. It's rare. It's beautiful. I think the Polar will be rare even after this new small edition.
The Raketa Polar is going to be part of my small collection for a long time.
IMG_20200529_154.jpg

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Rather than sending such an expensive piece back to the factory I think I would consider requesting that they send me a replacement lens. I would also probably just leave the damaged one on and keep the other for a backup. Hard to say for sure because it's not my watch, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
So on further inspection I noticed these two cracks along the edge of the crystal. The bottom one between 5 and 6 o'clock being distinctly visible while worn. While the box was extremely well wrapped, the watch itself was rather loose inside the box. I've contacted their manager, to see what they say. On top of the issues I faced with my previous watch, this is quite annoying.

It is a splendid looking watch but how disappointing to discover these fractures in the crystal, particularly given the price that Raketa charge for their watches these days.

In my opinion, these fractures were caused when the crystal was inserted into the case. I doubt very much that such fractures could be caused by the watch being loose in the box. You have to apply considerable pressure in a very small area to cause such a fracture. This sort of fracture happens when using a crystal fitting tool and too much compression is applied. If it was caused at the point of assembly, then quality control should have spotted this.

However, I am sure that Raketa will recognise this and find a suitable resolution to the problem.

I hope it hasn't spoilt the enjoyment of your watch.

Sekondtime

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Update, after returning the old watch, today I received its replacement with a pristine crystal. They had to take time ensuring the new watch was specially engraved the same as the old one (again probably laser engraved so hopefully Ludmilla was not bothered), which may or may not have been faster than simply repairing the old watch once they received it back. Also noting the replacement was sent from the factory in Russia to their global exporter in apparently Bulgaria, before being quickly sent overseas. Not sure what will happen to the old one and if there will be more than 200 in circulation, but I'm happy to finally be able to wear this great but humble watch once again.

Something else I must mention, I noticed that not only on my watch, but all of the ones sent out and reviewed, and even including the 3D product renders beforehand, all have the same misaligned minute markers around the perimeter of the dial, especially the '50' and '55'. Not even the originals were printed that poorly, and I'm surprised such a flaw not only occurred in the first place but also slipped all the way through production without correction. Once you see it, you can't unsee it. While it does not diminish the enjoyment, it's worth mentioning given the price point.

Finally, while I had only sent back the head of the watch and warranty card, I received a full new set including an extra box and straps. So, I would like to share these if anyone is interested, perhaps to any owners of an original Polar.

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
Glad it all worked out for the most part. I still have the 2016 Polar on my wish list. Not quite the same I know but still in the family

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, I take it back again, look closely at the photo I just posted shortly after taking the watch out of the box...

Granted I have to break out the macro lens, I don't even know anymore.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts