WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
While I again scrutinize the high quality photos of the review watches given to the blogs aBlogtoWatch and Monochrome looking for additional evidence yet can't detect anything similar in them, looking at Dinkan's photos here I'm alarmed by the clear mark between 21 and 22 o'clock above the lug. I don't think I'm overreacting when such a flaw is refracted and visible at almost all angles?

·
Registered
122 Posts
While I again scrutinize the high quality photos of the review watches given to the blogs aBlogtoWatch and Monochrome looking for additional evidence yet can't detect anything similar in them, looking at Dinkan's photos here I'm alarmed by the clear mark between 21 and 22 o'clock above the lug. I don't think I'm overreacting when such a flaw is refracted and visible at almost all angles?
Thank you Arizone!
The Raketa Polar is one of the highlights in my collection.
It's a watch that I will use with great caution since it's extremely rare. But it's true. I had to take a look after you pointed out that the light breaks thru the glass in a strange way near the edge between 21 and 22 on the dial. It doesn't look like a crack. ( cracks on a crystal can "grow" ) It looks more like the glass might be uneven or not perfectly clear at that edge. It doesn't look like dirt or dust can come in there. Water or moisture might find its way in there but I will never shower or swim with this beautiful watch.
I'm very satisfied with the watch. The only thing that surprised me is the "ticking" from the movement that's pretty strong. It's a very pleasant, peaceful sound.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well, I take it back again, look closely at the photo I just posted shortly after taking the watch out of the box...

View attachment 15383005

Granted I have to break out the macro lens, I don't even know anymore.

View attachment 15383006 View attachment 15383007
couple of points:
  • the misalignment is visible BUT it can be a little caused by the distortion made by plexiglas? or am I totally wrong?
  • the cracking was visible in the previous watch, I think this one is acceptable. Yes, sapphire is not perfect but sometimes I am afraid magnifying my watches too much to discover some mistake! I think you should keep it!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
couple of points:
  • the misalignment is visible BUT it can be a little caused by the distortion made by plexiglas? or am I totally wrong?
  • the cracking was visible in the previous watch, I think this one is acceptable. Yes, sapphire is not perfect but sometimes I am afraid magnifying my watches too much to discover some mistake! I think you should keep it!
I'm positive the number misalignment is not caused by distortion, '35' is the other bad number in particular if you look through the various photos and renders, but while again it's surprising their graphic designer must have caused this, at least it's inherent to every copy of the watch and not only being pawned off of me.

The crystal is acrylic, not sapphire, but any new crystal regardless of type should be free of imperfections. Sure, this isn't haute horology where they provide you with a loupe with your purchase to awe at its perfection at every level, regardless that I'm using a macro lens to effectively capture the flaws to share, these are visible to the naked eye. Perhaps if this was a cheap Vostok it could be ignored, but they need to be held accountable to the upscale market and price point they are targeting.

They claim, and I would like to believe, they thoroughly inspect each watch. Thus, I speculate these flaws are caused by stress on the plastic and occur, if not immediately, over time due to temperature, UV light, and whatever other factors. As the crystal sticks out so prominently I'm already concerned about the potential knocks the watch will have to endure, but if it's already compromised I can't really trust it at all to not become even worse.

They have spoken at length how this is a new case design, improving upon the vintage original in water resistance, which must require tight tolerances that the crystal might not be appropriate for. Early production problems happen in any industry, and this is probably made worse with the coronavirus. They have also gotten back to me to say that they have tested the first watch I have sent back and will be modifying the crystal to some degree to hopefully put this issue to rest. I don't know yet how soon this will happen.

·
Registered
123 Posts
thank you Arizone for your explanation. Very interesting and kinda worrying points. Not a great thing given the vast pool of potential buyers that also cross this group. Please keep us updated on the issue.

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
thank you Arizone for your explanation. Very interesting and kinda worrying points. Not a great thing given the vast pool of potential buyers that also cross this group. Please keep us updated on the issue.
I don't understand what you mean by "vast pool of potential buyers" ?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't understand what you mean by "vast pool of potential buyers" ?
I do not known any other -international- forum speaking of modern Russian watches. I know forums and Facebook groups on Vostok/Amphibian and or vintage Russian watches but I have seen little on modern Raketa, also as a watch collector I have seen modern Raketa "in person" only in Russia (and my contacts there did not say anything good about them).

I thought that there were other collectors like me reading this forum to get info and "feelings" regarding also modern Russian production. So I thought "we" were a "vast" pool of potential (also "actual") buyers.

Seeing the problems of Arizone certainly didn't motivate me into investing in Raketa so I thought that the unfortunate event happened to him was particularly unlucky for this reason!

hope this clarifies! sorry if I missed some passage of my thoughts

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
I do not known any other -international- forum speaking of modern Russian watches. I know forums and Facebook groups on Vostok/Amphibian and or vintage Russian watches but I have seen little on modern Raketa, also as a watch collector I have seen modern Raketa "in person" only in Russia (and my contacts there did not say anything good about them).
I thought that there were other collectors like me reading this forum to get info and "feelings" regarding also modern Russian production. So I thought "we" were a "vast" pool of potential (also "actual") buyers.
Seeing the problems of Arizone certainly didn't motivate me into investing in Raketa so I thought that the unfortunate event happened to him was particularly unlucky for this reason!
hope this clarifies! sorry if I missed some passage of my thoughts
At first I thought you meant you were speaking specifically about the Polar, that there are many people who might want to purchase one and now they'll have 2nd thoughts about it. That doesn't matter anyway because only 200 were made and they are long sold out. It sounds like you meant Raketa as a whole however.
I wouldn't let the minor problems mentioned with this particular model deter you from Raketa. This Polar was a one-off model that is unlike any other current Raketa. Most current Raketa share cases, crowns, crystals, other parts, whereas this particular Polar is unique in most of those respects. Raketa quality in general is good, at least based on mine and what few reviews I've read elsewhere. Lastly, you may assume there is vast pool of potential Raketa buyers but I've yet to see that on WUS. I can remember only seeing maybe 3 other members that have posted a pic of one. My guess is the main deterrent is the price.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I'm surprised by the misalignment. My older hand wound Raketas do not have any of these issues and cost about half the price as a modern Raketa. Granted no other modern Raketa I've handled has this issue. Almost makes you wonder if it's an entire batch.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm sorry that this happened to Arizone, and that's quite a pity regarding a great potential idea and project.
But the implementation and final result seems to confirm the limits of the actual Russian watch industry and especially respective manufacturer, a good idea, abile marketing claims and upscale price positioning by default will never conceal and finally compensate the real quality of the product (that will backfire and reflect on the future or recurrent buyer)
I will avoid.

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
I still think any shortcomings this project may have had are limited to that particular watch alone. It was never intended to be a mass produced, regular part of the lineup and it's design is unlike any other model Raketa offers. It was like a skunkworks side project for Raketa, and not part of the usual manufacturing that all their other watches are, which are produced in greater numbers.
I will continue to buy Raketa, (as long as my wallet can handle it).

·
Registered
335 Posts
I still think any shortcomings this project may have had are limited to that particular watch alone. It was never intended to be a mass produced, regular part of the lineup and it's design is unlike any other model Raketa offers. It was like a skunkworks side project for Raketa, and not part of the usual manufacturing that all their other watches are, which are produced in greater numbers.
I will continue to buy Raketa, (as long as my wallet can handle it).
Indeed, and I’d happily live with some of the short comings for such a truly special watch.

It was the most exciting project Raketa did in the last years: for me it’s lust-worthy.

But the printing errors on the dial, though... there’s nothing that can justify them other than a sloppy, careless job.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts