WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It seems like this batch unfortunately may still have some design and QC issues. I almost ordered one until I found that some details were different from the original version and I saw this article:

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
One review about one unrelated model they don’t make anymore doesn’t do much for me.
I can see me coming across as a fanboy here (I only own 1) but I do think one has to examine the current, non-limited models before writing off the brand for qc issues. If some/all of those have issues too then I’ll start to get worried.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
One review about one unrelated model they don’t make anymore doesn’t do much for me.
I can see me coming across as a fanboy here (I only own 1) but I do think one has to examine the current, non-limited models before writing off the brand for qc issues. If some/all of those have issues too then I’ll start to get worried.
I appreciate your kindness toward modern Raketa. However, it's hard to logically imagine they can make those relatively cheaper non-limited models much better if they can't even get their much more expensive limited models right.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I appreciate your kindness toward modern Raketa. However, it's hard to logically imagine they can make those relatively cheaper non-limited models much better if they can't even get their much more expensive limited models right.
I own - admittedly from recently - an Amphibia, I don't see anything wrong with it, it keeps great time and feels overall a quality product. Maybe the lume could be brighter, but it does last long...

·
Premium Member
7,095 Posts
That’s the thing, there really are no “relatively cheaper” models. The current lineup are in the same price range as the Polar being discussed. I’d actually argue the regular lineup is “better” from the standpoint that there is a consistent, established process in play, and they share cases and other parts across models.
The Polar reissue is an outsider in most respects when compared with the rest of the lineup. Pretty much everything about it is new/different than the rest they sell currently. Not saying they didn’t cut corners with qc or what not, and perhaps they had to compromise. I’m sure it didn’t have the economies of scale as their other offerings.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #46 (Edited)
So much time has passed, I'm trying to recall all the details. Remember that both of the watches I received were engraved with Ludmilla's signature at my request. I could have received an in-stock replacement quicker via DHL if I went without that detail.

The factory shipped back the first repaired watch using snail mail, but after almost a month upon arriving at my local post office it was marked as return to sender, "insufficient address". I tried to retrieve the package the following day once I noticed the problem, but the worker at the post office could not locate it as it was probably already moving back. Raketa confirmed my address just prior to shipment so I want to believe it wasn't their fault this time, but it's yet another hurdle in this transaction. It's still in return transit today, but thankfully I'm not waiting on that.

A couple weeks after I reported the rebound of that first package, I believe the second watch that was returned via DHL to their exporter in Bulgaria was then forwarded to the factory for repair as well, and was also ready to be shipped, this time using EMS. Thus, after another two weeks that second package finally arrived tonight. While I noticed they mixed up my city and state/province on the label, there doesn't appear to have been any issues this time.

Most gratefully, after careful inspection under bright light I can report it does not have any cracks in the crystal. I'm still second guessing myself after the last two times and will check again tomorrow in the sunlight. It does have some very faint vertical marks around the perimeter, perhaps from the installation tool, and there are a couple forcibly negligible marks on the dial (see beside 20 o'clock) that may or may not have existed prior. The printing errors that exist on all the models are of course still there as well. While I was initially told the repairs had an improved crystal, I was then told by the service manager that the new crystal was hand-picked and that due to the nature of the construction it produces those cracks, so it may not actually be any specifically different or improved? I didn't receive clarification on that, so I'm still cautious over whether those cracks could appear again over time especially with how vulnerable the crystal is.

As I mentioned in the official Raketa thread, they were up until recently silently charging all customers the European VAT (20%) included in the price. Being in the USA, they earnestly reported this and refunded the difference. Now, because of these additional delays, they offered to refund another 50% of the cost as well. On top of that I had the pre-order discount, and from the coronavirus delays they offered everyone discounts on additional watches too. While these are all great as a consumer, knowing how few watches they sell it's unfortunate to witness that desperation as well. I do want to be as transparent as possible so things can be improved upon, especially the next limited edition coming next year(?).

Once again I have a second box, papers, and straps, should anyone want to make use of them.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
I love the watch, however I can't help but think that most people would go ballistic if a $50 Vostok had all of the issues you seem to be experiencing.
For that kind of money you would think it would be perfect.🙄
Maybe Raketa should send a representative to Chistopol to take some notes on QC. 🤔

Add me to the drawing for the box, my glasnost would look great in it.😂

·
Registered
269 Posts
I received the watch about 3 weeks ago and have waited to see a bit how it performed before making a short review. I don't have a macro lens so for photos I have a wrist shot that I can't for the life of me figure out how to upload from a mobile device (please someone clue me in). If I get a chance to fire up the laptop (which I no longer have a use for) I promise to do so.

1. The crystal issue is fixed. By naked eye everything looks clean and neat, no pits, cracks, and the seam where the crystal and case meet looks clean. Using a loop, pretty much the same, though here and there around the edge of the crystal some scuff marks and light scratches are visible. Given the nature of the material and manner of join, I assume that can't be helped, but nothing major in any way, and again, nothing you can see by eye. I will say that should this need replacement, either Raketa will need to do the servicing or someone trained by them, I don't think this one works for the hobbyists. I would also add the crystal has some slight parallax distortion so the world printed on the dial can, depending on view angle, have a slight axial tilt.

2. As noted, misprinting is on all dials (including sample on Raketa web page), so this should now be considered a feature not a bug (lol). Otherwise its a pretty interesting dial, shifting color from off white gray to champagne(?!) in some indoor lighting. Other than the misprint around the 55 and 50 markers, which given the thickness of the crystal around the edge does not particularly make it stand out for me, the rest of the dial is fine. I like it best in bright light where the polar white and blue outline stands out best, the white looking a little washed out in indoor lighting. The lume is applied very neatly, including on the handset which itself is nice.

3. Case is PVD gold, and looks good by eye. I'm not a big fan of plated cases, they tend to look cheap, but this came out nice really looking like 14K gold. Looking through a loop, the application was also very clean throughout except in one small place by one of the crevices by a lug, looking a bit like a light wash.

4. Case back is screwdown with some nice anniversary language decently engraved. Not sure how all of it will wear through the years, but some of it is reasonably deep. Despite the screwdown case, water resistance is barely 3ATM, so be careful around water with this one.

5. The movement is a resurrected 2623, which makes this watch a true blast from the past. Sadly all my watches spend most of the time dial up these days, so I can't give a real life report on how it runs. But dial up so far -6spd, within spec. I don't have a timegrapher, so I can't tell you the rest. It would be great if someone could do a build comparison between this and the ETA competition. So all in all, sadly I can't say much yet about this very important category.

So overall I like this watch a great deal, not being plagued by the first release blues. It's exactly like going back 50 years and buying a good quality new watch. There's nothing like this experience on the market. Its unique looking and wears well, though it's probably just a little small for my wrist. Most fun of all, you wear this barely splashproof, fragile looking offbeat dress watch and then realize it was provided as expeditionary equipment for serious people to use in one of the most inhospitable places on earth. Definitely a trip. If you have the cash, assuming now they fixed all of these, a trip worth taking.

A note about the cost, a nearest competitor Stowa Partito Grey LE, which is just a dial color change mind you, if offered with a hand wound 2804-2 movement, would set you back 1100 Euros, the same as the Polar pre-order. At 1400 its a bit stiff, but still not uncompetitive. Just don't compare it to the vintage market, because no brands other than Rolex and Patek can compare to theirs either. However, that said, Raketa wisely picked the one item in their catalog for which new is definitely less than vintage, so there's that interesting consideration too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would like Kotsov to articulate his opinion, BUT I do think that palletwheel went a little over himself in the review!

"It's exactly like going back 50 years and buying a good quality new watch. There's nothing like this experience on the market."

there are plenty! first of all you can just buy a vintage watch. Even with a restored dial and case to say one.
Then so many companies are just re-doing old catalogue. Longines has pretty much a whole line of reissues.

Also I hope that Raketa reads this, but to learn what NOT to do!
You can't have a company with the prospect of being profitable and do watches that are loved by a super small niche which will actually think that poor QC is cool because reminds you of the '50s.

this said, no hard feelings palletwheel. I do love your watch. I just couldn't see myself spending that amount for something I knew would have been faulty. And it is, no excuses.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would like Kotsov to articulate his opinion, BUT I do think that palletwheel went a little over himself in the review!

"It's exactly like going back 50 years and buying a good quality new watch. There's nothing like this experience on the market."

there are plenty! first of all you can just buy a vintage watch. Even with a restored dial and case to say one.
Then so many companies are just re-doing old catalogue. Longines has pretty much a whole line of reissues.

Also I hope that Raketa reads this, but to learn what NOT to do!
You can't have a company with the prospect of being profitable and do watches that are loved by a super small niche which will actually think that poor QC is cool because reminds you of the '50s.

this said, no hard feelings palletwheel. I do love your watch. I just couldn't see myself spending that amount for something I knew would have been faulty. And it is, no excuses.
I don't take it personally lol :) The key is to have the diversity of opinion for Raketa's benefit. Absolutely if I'm just a niche then they're dead in the water. But I do want to emphasize that I don't perceive my example suffering from bad QC, other than that weird dial misprinting glitch, that all of them have. Yes, the watch is not a loop queen, and I think they should strive for that quality. But there's nothing visible to the naked eye and most importantly, the watch is running fine. I have bought some really expensive watches where the latter isn't true.

Its interesting you mention Longines. The heritage collection gets great reviews. But they use a modified detuned 2892-A2 movement running at 25,200vph to increase the power reserve along with a free sprung balance wheel with silicon balance spring. Something totally not vintage. And for all that seeming technical goodness you know what spd Longines promises? -5spd to +15spd lol. Why, because Swatch doesn't want Longines to compete against Omega, and therefore they can automate the manufacture of these to every inch of its life and not have to worry about the rate. I went shopping for these once and looked through the caseback and the balance wheel adjustment screws were smashed. I was at a boutique and when I pointed that out, the sales person confided to me they do get a lot back. Essentially the heritage collection is a cheaply made corporate sponsored Franken for silly money for the "affordable luxury" crowd. As nice as the dials may be, there's nothing vintage in spirit going on here.

In contrast Raketa is making the real thing. Yes you can buy vintage, but here you get a new watch that you know is authentic, a parts supply, and a guarantee. Unless you start to seriously replace worn parts with authentic replacements in a vintage watch, its not going to run as well either. I'm not advocating one over the other mind you, each one is a different ownership experience and for me, there's room for both.

I agree, Raketa has to make quality a mantra or it won't survive. And certainly I am taking a chance on this, I've only had it 3 weeks and if after a year the stem falls out while I wind it I guess it wouldn't have paid off, lol. The fact that others are less inclined should tell Raketa just how little rope Raketa has to hang themselves. But I definitely see a future for them if they have that quality and take over the space that Longines discovered in the "New Vintage" category, because they can do it authentically whereas Longines can't.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't take it personally lol :) The key is to have the diversity of opinion for Raketa's benefit. Absolutely if I'm just a niche then they're dead in the water. But I do want to emphasize that I don't perceive my example suffering from bad QC, other than that weird dial misprinting glitch, that all of them have. Yes, the watch is not a loop queen, and I think they should strive for that quality. But there's nothing visible to the naked eye and most importantly, the watch is running fine. I have bought some really expensive watches where the latter isn't true.

Its interesting you mention Longines. The heritage collection gets great reviews. But they use a modified detuned 2892-A2 movement running at 25,200vph to increase the power reserve along with a free sprung balance wheel with silicon balance spring. Something totally not vintage. And for all that seeming technical goodness you know what spd Longines promises? -5spd to +15spd lol. Why, because Swatch doesn't want Longines to compete against Omega, and therefore they can automate the manufacture of these to every inch of its life and not have to worry about the rate. I went shopping for these once and looked through the caseback and the balance wheel adjustment screws were smashed. I was at a boutique and when I pointed that out, the sales person confided to me they do get a lot back. Essentially the heritage collection is a cheaply made corporate sponsored Franken for silly money for the "affordable luxury" crowd. As nice as the dials may be, there's nothing vintage in spirit going on here.

In contrast Raketa is making the real thing. Yes you can buy vintage, but here you get a new watch that you know is authentic, a parts supply, and a guarantee. Unless you start to seriously replace worn parts with authentic replacements in a vintage watch, its not going to run as well either. I'm not advocating one over the other mind you, each one is a different ownership experience and for me, there's room for both.

I agree, Raketa has to make quality a mantra or it won't survive. And certainly I am taking a chance on this, I've only had it 3 weeks and if after a year the stem falls out while I wind it I guess it wouldn't have paid off, lol. The fact that others are less inclined should tell Raketa just how little rope Raketa has to hang themselves. But I definitely see a future for them if they have that quality and take over the space that Longines discovered in the "New Vintage" category, because they can do it authentically whereas Longines can't.
I like this reply and I see some good points
good idea if they have a "real heritage" line. But Raketa offer couldn't be "real heritage collection", "weird collection" (Malevich..) and that's it. Their watches need to circulate

41 - 55 of 55 Posts