WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a weak spot for the Raketa World Time, so when an opportunity opened to get a NOS example... It is an Italian export and a little bit different from the used domestic version I had since before. I have noticed a peculiar thing regarding the cities and time zones printed on the bezel. After this discovery, I have compared to other pictures of this model and they all share the same strange feature.

It came with box and papers. The manual is in Italian.

The plating is not gold, it's titanium nitride.

Now take a close look at the bezel. I have rotated it so that Moscow is at the top. Each tick and each city represent one time zone, equals one hour. To the immediate left of Moscow is Geneva, Switzerland in central Europe. This happens to be also my timezone in Stockholm, Sweden. And the next zone to the left is London, Great Britain. The problem is however, that this is incorrect! Between Geneva and Moscow is two time zones, not one. Was this different in the 1980's or did Raketa make all their watches with this error? What is going on here?

Here side by side with my used Raketa World Time. The "error" is here as well.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Here's mine -- a different, more recent model, purchased at the Petrodvorets factory store in 2005. Moscow and Geneva are one time zone apart here, as well:

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,929 Posts
Yes, they are all like that. Roman and Cyrillic, major cities and Antarctic bases. Every version has the same error. I can only guess that Western Europe and Britain were on summer daylight saving time when the researcher in Petrodvorets first looked into it. o|

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Was this different in the 1980's or did Raketa make all their watches with this error? What is going on here?
Per wikipedia:

Daylight saving time was reintroduced in the USSR (Moscow Summer Time) on April 1, 1981, by a decision of the Council of Ministers of the USSR, and its practice continues into post-Soviet times.

Before that, when London was on DST, there would only be a 2 hour difference with London.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Watch22, that probably explains it then. The watch was designed before 1981 in a time when Moscow did not have DST. But I think it would have been more intuitive to make all zones without any DST and leave that compensation to the user.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
The problem is however, that this is incorrect! Between Geneva and Moscow is two time zones, not one. Was this different in the 1980's or did Raketa make all their watches with this error? What is going on here?[/I]

Continental drift.

Reactions: OhDark30

·
Registered
207 Posts
That sounds like an intentional error placed on the bezel to confuse Cold-War Capitalist spies.
Like when we took down all the street name signs and asked strangers questions like "who won the World Series?" in WW2, you can spot the spy because he/she either 1- Gets the time wrong... or 2- Goes around complaining that the watch dial is wrong!

Over here on the other side of the ocean, I can see that they pretty much got Аляска, Сан-Франциско, Денвер, Чикаго and Ныо-Йорк pretty much right.

Except for Daylight Savings Time! :-d

So it's just fine for the continental US.
Or США if you want to confuse people and induce them to think you're a Commie.

Sounds like Fun,
Keri

PS. It's a lovely, fascinating bezel. By studying a picture of one, I learned a little bit more Russian. :-!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Cool thread. Thanks for the post.

It definitely adds to the charm of these to me. Apart from the two I have here (and slight model variations) does anyone have or know of any other Russian with time zone bezel?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I dont know if you will see this as its an old post, where did you buy this watch, I have on old one from 1975, and its blue, but I like the other colors and well and a new one would be cool.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts