WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with items from these lines? What do you make of the quality? I've always been somewhat curious since I visited RL's website and saw that above the Polo line is Black Label and then Purple Label. Then yesterday on ebay a deal came up and I bought this Purple Label polo:

Anyone care to chime in? I'll post thoughts when I get it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Their purple line is really completely different quality than their lower lines. You'll really enjoy your new shirt.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The quality of the cotton as well as the fit compare favourably to a 'Polo polo' I also have. I went ahead and ordered some shorts for when the weather gets warmer...

·
Registered
723 Posts
Just a personal opinion, I consider clothes more or less a commodity, paying stupid prices for haute couture or something that wants to be that, is the biggest waste of money I can imagine.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Just a personal opinion, I consider clothes more or less a commodity, paying stupid prices for haute couture or something that wants to be that, is the biggest waste of money I can imagine.
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

MT

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I believe Black Label, which was the only line I really liked, is discontinued. Purple Label is their mainline with high quality and a traditional style. Black Label was positioned as a more fashion forward high quality alternative, with a lot of biker/distressed style items. RRL is the third quality line they have, which has a western denim angle. The other lines are lower quality diffusions.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Several purple label shoes are made by Edward Green. As good as it gets. Their PL suits are all outstanding, yet overpriced (IMO). YOMV

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've been keeping my eye out for eBay deals on Purple Label since I discovered the branch in Saks a couple weeks ago. The clothing seemed like a completely different league of quality than PRL and LRL when I was looking at it in the store.

·
Registered
Seikosha
995 Posts
I used to work with the brand. Purple is their line at the highest pricepoint, barring any special make ups, limited editions, off the runway specials. Apparel cost (to the company/manufacturer) is generally determined by materials + labor (+ logistics). Generally, Purple Label would have the highest cost materials, the highest level of quality control out of all their lines. Because they usually produce these at lower quantities, they also don't have the scale that other products in their line do to get lower prices.

I want to make note that the highest cost materials do not always mean that it's the best product. Generally speaking, apparel manufacturing in China is currently the best in the world. They have established entire ecosystems to support their manufacturing like textile schools. Also they are just at that stage in their economic development where Textiles make up a large part of their economy - like France in the 1700's Britain in the 1800's US in the 1900's. Textiles are generally considered a low skill industry and Made in Italy, like Made in the US, is most often a marketing tool. However, products made in developed economies usually have better quality control.

What is most important though, in my opinion, is your feeling when putting on the clothing, kind of like watches.

Reactions: Paulo 8135

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts