WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching Rambo (the latest one) and I managed to catch this. Not wise for a SpecOps guy to have those large glowing numbers I think. LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Panerai, in case you weren't aware. Less luminous than tritium, of course. No worse than anything else, really.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If I remember correctly, Stallone popularized Panerai after he bought a number of them and started wearing them on screen. I don't think they were common in the states prior to his use.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I think it looks like something Rambo could wear from a size perspective. What irks me about most Panerai is how can you claim to be a military or even a pseudo-military watchmaker when it is impossible to tell the exact time on most of your offerings because they do not have minute hashes or subdials?

Reactions: 9573

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
If I remember correctly, Stallone popularized Panerai after he bought a number of them and started wearing them on screen. I don't think they were common in the states prior to his use.
I don't think they were common any place until Sly bought a bunch for his friends. They even made a limited edition Sly Panerai.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don't think they were common any place until Sly bought a bunch for his friends. They even made a limited edition Sly Panerai.
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. It was probably sometime in the mid 90s.The name of his model was a little goofy, I think. Slytech, maybe?

EDIT: Yep... "Slytech".

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
Yes you are correct Panerai was "resurrected" in the early 90s by the Swiss (0% Italian content) and Stallone "discovered" them in 1995 or '96 while travelling to Italy.

QUOTE=rics21;6468023]guess the Italian navy were ok without the minute markers back then?
View attachment 1131240

its a Rolex in the Panerai case.
View attachment 1131242 [/QUOTE]

Not a Rolex, it's a Cortebert movement branded Rolex, the case is a Rolex steel pocket watch with soldered wire lugs. Later after the war they started to use the famous Angelus 8 days movement in the Luminor era.

I think it looks like something Rambo could wear from a size perspective. What irks me about most Panerai is how can you claim to be a military or even a pseudo-military watchmaker when it is impossible to tell the exact time on most of your offerings because they do not have minute hashes or subdials?
Indeed at the time they were (in very limited number) and at least during WWII they didn't even have the second hand. At that time the Italian Royal Navy just wanted a waterproof watch so Panerai converted Rolex cases, here you can find some original ones:

http://www.vintagepanerai.com/2017/06/29/found-another-ref-3646-type-d-kampfschwimmer/

These were the only divers available at the time as far as I know, they were indeed primitive watches, but not to different from for instance German B uhren.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I feel like watch placement in movies/tv is lost on me, which is odd since I tend to notice in person. With the exception of the James Bond movies, I almost never notice what watch any one is wearing.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
You think a guy capable of killing 40 baddies in a film sustaining not a scratch is gonna worry
about watch lume?
My daughter and SIL saw Sly on a beach in Mexico. Cordoned off from other swimmers by 18
bodyguards. Unvbeeelieveable! Scared of no one but swimmers
At the "wrap" of one of his films he gifted the entire film crew (19) a new PAM. Just shows to
go you, he's not a bad sort IMO.

X Trainmaster Art

1 - 11 of 11 Posts