WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which would you get, (assuming I can find a GX-56 anywhere)

I like all 3, found a Gulfmaster for £250, a rangeman for anywhere between £199 and £240 and the GX56 for £135 assuming it's a genuine one on ebay

the rangeman is topping the list at the moment as it's huge and has loads of features, but the GX is cheaper and you won't be able to find them for much longer and the gulfmaster I like because I just like analogue watches a bit more than digital

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
For functions: Rangeman or Gulfmaster
For style: Gulfmaster
For size and comfort: Rangeman
For your best: get them Both! I have GX-56 and see no use in it as it doesnt fit me plus has no functions worth mentioning. But you may be different. It can in no case replace one of the two others, so then my answer would be, you guessed it: all three. But for THAt answer you didnt need to open the thread..

So, if style is major consideration, Gulfy wins:

DSCF2726.jpg

If you're after the functions, Rangeman is the most practical one, and (although there will be a dicussion, because there is never an agreement on that in this forum) in that case get a positive version:

Foto1.jpg

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
personally, as a Gshock fan, I never care about the analog, no matter how much it cost nor what features it has

so it come down to the rangeman vs. King

I don't own rangeman nor plan to get one as I don't like the screws all around the bezel, and it looks just like the 3 riseman I have

and I have 4 kings

Reactions: pocky

·
Premium Member
8,249 Posts
The GX-56 is cool and all, yes, I have two of them. But it doesn't come close to the other two for functions. My recommendation would be to go for the Rangeman or Gulfmaster. You can't go wrong with either. If analog is your preference, then it sounds like the Gulfmaster would win, for you. And a great choice it would be! Pick your favorite color combo among them and go for it!

My black one says hello!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't own a Gulfmaster, but both GW-9400 and GX-56... I shot some quick comparison pics. My wrist is 6.7"

PC210014.jpg

PC210015.jpg

PC210016.jpg

functionwise, I prefer the Rangeman (I like the atomic synching and the sunrise/sunset funtion the most) and it's better to read- but for looks, I prefer the King (negative display and martial style)

·
Registered
365 Posts
Rangeman or gulfmaster, to me, king is just like an over sized basic square and its kinda pricey.i have 1 gulfmaster and 3 rangeman. Zero king.looks wise, gulfmaster looks best.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Cal.45,

You said the only G's you bought this year were the GD-350's. Have you tried the GW-9400 in the field?
No, but to me the Gulfmaster is a bad joke (lookswise and a 60min cdt -both a 100% dealbreaker) and the "King" is a very basic G with nothing special (yeah, the "magic" alpha gel I know :roll:) but too small digits in a too big case. Personally, I'm not interested in any of the three, but the Gulfman and the GX-56 I don't even consider. I'm not much interested in the Casio ABC technology either, but the one-button stopwatch access of the GW-9400 is one cool and very useful gagdget, actually one that makes a lot of sense in daily life and besides - it looks by far best of the three ;-)

cheers

·
Registered
44 Posts
Which would you get, (assuming I can find a GX-56 anywhere)

I like all 3, found a Gulfmaster for £250, a rangeman for anywhere between £199 and £240 and the GX56 for £135 assuming it's a genuine one on ebay

the rangeman is topping the list at the moment as it's huge and has loads of features, but the GX is cheaper and you won't be able to find them for much longer and the gulfmaster I like because I just like analogue watches a bit more than digital
Hello!
my question to you is do you need the extra features offered by the gulf,an or rangeman?
i would advise you to get the gx56, it's quite big and tough and I am in love with it... Sensors are extra IMAP and they can defect. I also have a g9300 and except the compass which I don't use very often, I just love the king all day everyday.. A watch is made to show the time... But if you have extra cash to spend, buy the range an.. It's such a complete watch and its a protrek gshock

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have Rangeman, but would also like to get GX-56 like you, maybe in red on green. I think they both look good, you can't go wrong with both of them.

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Funny, at the moment I have 2 of the 3, the King and Gulfmaster. I also have a G9300, which more or less stands in for the Rangeman.

Somehow I've resisted the Rangeman because it seems like such an obvious choice and I hate to simply go along with the crowd.

I love the fit of the Gulfmaster, but that metal bezel keeps me from wearing it like a G-Shock. For that matter, as someone else mentioned, G-Shocks seem more designed for collection and less for actual wear.

I got a great deal on a King, which wasn't on my radar. The functions aren't what I look for, and the size is definitely large. But, to quote Homer Simpson, "It's SO unnecessary!" Something about it I can't quite put my finger on. It's like so many G-Shocks, yet it's like NO other G. Kinda falls into the same category as the Frogman that way, but cheaper and more comfortable, relatively speaking. The Frogman, on a side note, was just annoying as all get out to wear. The holes were too far apart to get anything close to a decent fit.

Speaking of the Frogman and Rangeman, I'm a bit surprised by the G9300 Mudman. This really has all the right features for me. I have no use for a tide graph, but I like the moon display for eye candy. Also, the eye/compass seems a better size compared to the Frogman/Rangeman. The fit is very good, the size is manageable, and the weight is nil. My top feature is that it shows the time in all the modes, something I think should be mandatory.

I would have loved a GW-9300, but I got this one used for almost 1/3 the cost, and so far the time seems to be holding very close to my atomics.

In all, not a bad work beater.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts