WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the original rangeman does have a semi common, fatal flaw.

The lugs tend to break off the case, which means the band pin has nothing to lock into.

Personally, the rangeman is my ATF g-shock. I've stockpiled parts for a while now, and I do like to modify mine. So it's not as big of a concern for me. However, the issue is common enough to be a bugaboo of this lineup.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,382 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
If you can read that negative screen then you must have damn good vision maybe even super hero like eyesight so with that as a fact I'd guess your excellent vision will keep you from a full list of potential mishaps. None of which will actually kill that rangeman.

Like already stated these things are meant to take a beating albeit even g shocks will show the events that occurred. It's like I taught my kids about scars, scars are just moments when things or events tried killing you but failed... they been trying to get as many as possible since being knee high to a grasshopper so maybe I over taught the concept but oh well. Enjoy your watch & wear in good health accidents & bumps and bruises and all.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but the original rangeman does have a semi common, fatal flaw.

The lugs tend to break off the case, which means the band pin has nothing to lock into.

Personally, the rangeman is my ATF g-shock. I've stockpiled parts for a while now, and I do like to modify mine. So it's not as big of a concern for me. However, the issue is common enough to be a bugaboo of this lineup.

so 10-12 failures (most under freak or extreme conditions and others not fully confirmed) out of 10s-100s of thousands of owners = "semi common" and "common enough"??? 😂😂😂
dont start up this nonsense again 🙄

·
Registered
G-shock rangeman- OD green
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
If you can read that negative screen then you must have damn good vision maybe even super hero like eyesight so with that as a fact I'd guess your excellent vision will keep you from a full list of potential mishaps. None of which will actually kill that rangeman.

Like already stated these things are meant to take a beating albeit even g shocks will show the events that occurred. It's like I taught my kids about scars, scars are just moments when things or events tried killing you but failed... they been trying to get as many as possible since being knee high to a grasshopper so maybe I over taught the concept but oh well. Enjoy your watch & wear in good health accidents & bumps and bruises and all.

nice point of view brotha, yeah you're right the scratches the scuffs or even as you stated scars are just parts of watch life or even ours. btw nahh I don't have any super vision, I simply use the backlight😅

·
Registered
G-shock rangeman- OD green
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

oh brotha, your watch the big rengman I like it, hope get my own one day

·
Registered
45 Posts
I bought my rangeman second hand off a tree lopper and it was worn during work duties. It has minor scratches on it. I've then taken it on numerous bush firefighting jaunts, training, navigation events and it's proven the test of time for me. Given I don't use the ABC functionality of it, I still like how durable it is and knowing I have a backup compass.

Know the reason you're buying the watch and then don't be afraid to be rough with it (if that is your decision).

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
nice point of view brotha, yeah you're right the scratches the scuffs or even as you stated scars are just parts of watch life or even ours. btw nahh I don't have any super vision, I simply use the backlight
Lmao ... oh so you cheat the system lol. I always love the looks of the negative gshocks until I have to actually read them outside in the glaring sun then I'm a super non fan hehehehe

·
Registered
38 Posts
so 10-12 failures (most under freak or extreme conditions and others not fully confirmed) out of 10s-100s of thousands of owners = "semi common" and "common enough"???
dont start up this nonsense again
10-12 failures? Then my luck is incredibly awful to have 3 of them myself.

Once again, the rangeman is my favorite g-shock, my favorite watch of all time. But that doesn't mean I'm going to join a circle jerk and pretend that's a "freak condition" failure. It happens often enough to be mentioned. When it happens the watch is done.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts

Once again, the rangeman is my favorite g-shock, my favorite watch of all time. But that doesn't mean I'm going to join a circle jerk and pretend that's a "freak condition" failure. It happens often enough to be mentioned. When it happens the watch is done.

yes 10-12 examples collated from posts here, reddit and amazon reviews. its spotty at best cos as i said, alot arent confirmed and some may be the same person posting on multiple sites.
if youve had 3 fail its seems its less about luck and more about what youre doing to them.
no pretending needed, its a fact and simple maths. its way smaller but even at 1 in 1000 chance of happening, do you honestly equate that to "happens enough to be mentioned"?

im all for having a whinge esp. if something has died on me 3 times (personally i doubt i wouldve given it a third chance) but that shouldnt be exaggerated to the level of "common" anything in the scheme of 10s if not 100s of thousands.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts

im curious how u get 3 to break?
using nato adapters? wearing too tight?

·
Registered
38 Posts
im curious how u get 3 to break?
using nato adapters? wearing too tight?
I've only broken 2 myself. I've bought a broken one myself, and I've repaired a broken one for a co-worker.

Always on original straps. I wear them loose enough to be able to spin (albeit tightly) completely around the wrist.

The first one that broke finally gave way while taking a swing playing rec league softball. It was purchased new, received as a birthday gift in 2013, worn 5-6 days a week.

The second one I found in my bed after waking up. It came off while sleeping. The lug was probably cracked at that point and just came off moving in my sleep. Not sure what cracked it. That watch was purchased used, was a little over a year old when I got it, and was worn maybe 4-5 times by the person I purchased it from.

Both of mine with original rangeman gw-9400-1.

I bought a broken negative display for a project, came out of an gw-9400-3. Don't know the background of that one, but the crystal was excellent. Band and bezel were not included he sold them separately.

A co-worker bought a gw-9400-1 after seeing mine. His broke around 2-2 1/2 years after he bought it new. I was able to repair it with JB weld, and it held up for at least another year before he transfered to another agency.

Again, I love the rangeman. Look at my post history. I've owned quite a few and modified them for a while. I buy broken ones, have tons of new parts from pac parts for Frankenstein's. It's STILL my daily g-shock when I'm not wearing my T-Rex. But it's been the weakest model I've owned. I've worn g-shocks since I was a kid, got my first one in middle school. Had various models through school. I wore a gw-7900-b1jf through a law enforcement academy and 6 years after, near daily. The resin strap disintegrated and I lost a few decorative bezel screws. When I got the rangeman I replaced the bezel and strap on that and it's enjoying a leisurely retirement. So when someone says it has something to do with usage, or wearing it wrong that's just nonsensical to me. The rangeman lug failure is a disappointment to me, but it's still by far my favorite model. I've procured a decent amount of parts, and am proficient at disassembly so it's become more of a hobby to repair/modify them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
yes 10-12 examples collated from posts here, reddit and amazon reviews. its spotty at best cos as i said, alot arent confirmed and some may be the same person posting on multiple sites.
if youve had 3 fail its seems its less about luck and more about what youre doing to them.
no pretending needed, its a fact and simple maths. its way smaller but even at 1 in 1000 chance of happening, do you honestly equate that to "happens enough to be mentioned"?

im all for having a whinge esp. if something has died on me 3 times (personally i doubt i wouldve given it a third chance) but that shouldnt be exaggerated to the level of "common" anything in the scheme of 10s if not 100s of thousands.
You're trying to keep a running track, talking about "unconfirmed" instances...it's not that big of a deal. There are broken rangeman, that's all there is to it. And to "confirm", heres some proof of mine...

Along with just some of the random parts I have. I'm not new to these watches, and I've torn them apart down to the last piece. I'm not some 'amazon' reviewer, I know what I'm working with.

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
I've only broken 2 myself. I've bought a broken one myself, and I've repaired a broken one for a co-worker.

Always on original straps. I wear them loose enough to be able to spin (albeit tightly) completely around the wrist.

The second one I found in my bed after waking up. It came off while sleeping. The lug was probably cracked at that point and just came off moving in my sleep. Not sure what cracked it. That watch was purchased used, was a little over a year old when I got it, and was worn maybe 4-5 times by the person I purchased it from.

Again, I love the rangeman. Look at my post history. I've owned quite a few and modified them for a while. I buy broken ones, have tons of new parts from pac parts for Frankenstein's. It's STILL my daily g-shock when I'm not wearing my T-Rex. But it's been the weakest model I've owned. I've worn g-shocks since I was a kid, got my first one in middle school. Had various models through school. I wore a gw-7900-b1jf through a law enforcement academy and 6 years after, near daily. The resin strap disintegrated and I lost a few decorative bezel screws. When I got the rangeman I replaced the bezel and strap on that and it's enjoying a leisurely retirement. So when someone says it has something to do with usage, or wearing it wrong that's just nonsensical to me. The rangeman lug failure is a disappointment to me, but it's still by far my favorite model. I've procured a decent amount of parts, and am proficient at disassembly so it's become more of a hobby to repair/modify them.

hmm wearing it to sleep...something i cannot do...
i have a t-rex too btw, even wearing that to sleep is quite uncomfortable for me...

·
Registered
38 Posts
hmm wearing it to sleep...something i cannot do...
i have a t-rex too btw, even wearing that to sleep is quite uncomfortable for me...
Having a watch on while sleeping doesn't bother me. The T-Rex has sleep tracking which I use, so it's beneficial.

The rangeman was perfectly comfortable to wear while sleeping for me. Never a bother.

·
Registered
8,375 Posts
You're trying to keep a running track, talking about "unconfirmed" instances...it's not that big of a deal. There are broken rangeman, that's all there is to it. And to "confirm", heres some proof of mine...

Along with just some of the random parts I have. I'm not new to these watches, and I've torn them apart down to the last piece. I'm not some 'amazon' reviewer, I know what I'm working with.

trying with the limited input that we've gotten? yes. me personally? no. just following what has been posted on this done to death non issue subject.
yes, unconfirmed as in those that have just said "it broke" without any follow up or pictures.
can def. agree its not that big of a deal, yet ppl keep making it a huge deal and saying its "common".

i never questioned the legitimacy of your claims, your knowledge or how many used watches youve bought with questionable histories, only the hyperbole and exaggeration of saying such few occurrences was common.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts