WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's been a lot of discussion about the Rangeman over the past couple of years. For those who have owned one for a while:

1) How do you like it overall?
2) Comfortable?
3) Strengths/weaknesses? Features you like/don't like?
4) Positive vs. Negative display?
5) Favorite color combination?

Thanks!
John

·
Registered
554 Posts
A great looker but too small for me (I wear Kings and a 1000 froggy). The broken strap lugs thing made me sell mine.

·
Premium Member
13,982 Posts
I have one and dislike the super tiny compass indicator. I know it has the degrees on the main lcd screen. But is it really so hard to design it so that it has a compass ring like a Pro Trek, or a duplex lcd like the Pathfinders? Or better yet, the compass ring from a SGW-100.
And the standard complaint, weak alarm tone.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
I got my first Rangeman a couple of years ago

1) I love it. My 10yr old son has one too for over a year now and rarely takes his off.

2) For me it fits very comfortably

3) It is possible that the lug design makes the case prone to breaking. There have been a handful of members here who have reported broken lugs where the band screws attach to the case. While I definitely find this troubling, I have never had a problem, and it does not dissuade me from liking the watch. I haven't used my Rangeman particularly hard ( I have a Mudman for that), but I haven't babied it either, and have used it often as an outdoor watch. On the other hand, my son has put his watch though hell. His has been through all the rigors you would expect a rambunctious 10 year old boy to put it through, and his lugs have held up fine. Its up to you to decide if the risk makes the watch not worth purchasing.

There are no features that I don't like on the watch. On the contrary, there are many features I find handy such as the one touch stopwatch shortcut and sunrise/sunset time, amongst others.

4) Positive. The negative display looks cool and I do own one, but for functionality I would definitely go with the positive display.

5) If I were recommending it to someone I would probably say just go with the standard model, but there are many cool colors to choose from, including camo and bright yellow. However, my personal favorite is one I made myself. Not something I would recommend for daily wear, but you did say favorite.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I don't like the PURPLE solar panel...and this pertains to all SOLAR G SHOCKS...the soft PURPLE/VIOLET always looks out of place and irritates me.

kev

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
I have 7 Rangeman models so obviously I really like this watch. The cases of people who have experienced broken lugs have been such a small number that this does not appear to be any kind of widespread problem. There may be a design flaw, but thankfully it does not appear to have affected a large number of owners. I have worn my Rangers a lot, not hard use, but nevertheless worn a lot with no problems at all.

The Ranger is super comfortable. Good looking. But to me its best attribute is its module. What a great combo of features! From "ABC" capability, to the ability to store up to 30 or 40 records including time stamps, the one-touch, 1,000 hour stopwatch, and sunrise/sunset. It would be just about my perfect ABC watch if it also had moon phase and tide graph - but, I can live without those. I also like the centrally located, easy-to-find light button.

My "love" for the Ranger has been documented by me in previous threads. The only "con" might be that it's a bit bulky and won't always fit easily under sleeves, but most Gs are like that and it doesn't really bother me. Oh, okay, you could say another "con" might be that Casio has charge $$$$ for different colored versions, just because they made them limited or special editions. Wish they had just made those same colors but offered them all for the standard price! Too bad Casio is in the business of making money!! ;-)

I like all of my Ranger colors, but my favs are the Green Sea and Earth, the Kobe, and my latest pickup below that I'll now be calling the Burton Blizzard Ranger!! (pics to follow later this weekend from the Blizzard aftermath) ;-)

p.s. I owned the olive Ranger at one time, it was nice looking, but didn't keep it due to the negative display. I still own the all-black (glossy black) Ranger with negative display, but will keep it because it has such a cool overall look. For practicality though, the positive display is the way to go.

Here's the Burton "Blizzard" Ranger: :) (BORN in a snowbank! LOL)

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
For me the screen is too small, very comfortable, design very good, band perfect to wear, large color choice.. The best digital for me.
Negative is cool and if you can have one model only, I suggest the Olive or the exclusive Panther.

Watches: G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400 - Mudmaster GWG-1000

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think outside of our love for screwback Gs, the rangeman is objectively speaking the best G. My only complaint is that the watch is quite thick and angular, making it bard to wear with long sleeves

·
Registered
41 Posts
I own two Rangemen, the olive with negative display, and the Camouflage with positive display and carbon fiber. I think both of them looks cool, but prefer the camo because of its color combination, and mainly because of its positive display. Yes, the negative display of the olive's is crap. It is almost unreadable at normal light. However it's very clear to read in a direct sunlight. Its illumination is ok. Having said that on the display, the olive does look really cool with its solid olive green.
What I like less is the altitude sensor. It needs to be calibrated very often, since it depends on the air pressure, which changes frequently.
The watch is solar charged, which is one of its best features, imo.
It would be nice if the illumination could be set to whatever period I would like, instead of just 1 or 3 seconds.
The alarm and other sounds could be louder.
And btw, I also think the orange Rangeman looks great :)

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^ A (non-camo) olive green with positive display would be great Coresh. I've seen a couple modded in this way but it would have been a nice standard configuration had Casio decided to introduce it. Or maybe they will ;-)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I've had one for about 6 months. Overall, I really like it for an outdoor rugged watch. It's a keeper. ABC Gshock, super functional, waterproof, solar, atomic, etc..tough to beat.

Positives

-Comfortable
-Love the center light button
-textured buttons are matte and not shiny
-one button push stopwatch function
-compass and altimeter have been very accurate for me

Negatives

-Too Big IMO
-Looks a little Sci-Fi for my tastes
-Like most G's, the sub dial on the screen is useless and only serves to clutter the screen

I like the standard color scheme the best. I love the look of the all black negative display version but I've had enough negative G's to know they're impossible to read in low light.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
A great looker but too small for me (I wear Kings and a 1000 froggy). The broken strap lugs thing made me sell mine.
Too small! I would not want to pick a fight with you sir!:) I fear the wrist that makes a Rangeman look too small:-d

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
I tested a Rangeman in the Manhattan based CASIO flagship store. I did find it a bit big, but that wasn't the deal breaker for me. I couldn't believe how soft the alarm tone is. There's no good reason for this to happen. I have several GShock models with decent alarm tone levels, both screw back and 4 screw panel versions. CASIO shouldn't have this problem... especially on the Master of G models!

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Negatives

-Like most G's, the sub dial on the screen is useless and only serves to clutter the screen
If the sub dial (eye) is removed, where would you put the compass needle?

If they made the display round, maybe it could run around the perimeter of the display, as on the SGW-100.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
If the sub dial (eye) is removed, where would you put the compass needle?

If they made the display round, maybe it could run around the perimeter of the display, as on the SGW-100.
I didn't even know there was a compass needle in there! Good to know. I find those subdials so useless I've just stopped looking at them all together. It's still not needed though. Suunto has figured out how to do it without cluttering up their screens. Why can't Casio. All I look at is the number. That's all I need. If it says 045....I know north is 45 degrees to my left and I am heading northeast.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
I didn't even know there was a compass needle in there! Good to know. I find those subdials so useless I've just stopped looking at them all together. It's still not needed though. Suunto has figured out how to do it without cluttering up their screens. Why can't Casio. All I look at is the number. That's all I need. If it says 045....I know north is 45 degrees to my left and I am heading northeast.
Casio does digital compass readout with a compass needle on these Protrek models:

PRW-S2500MG

PRG-80T titanium

Borrowed pic

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
My favorite special feature on the Rangeman is the barometer & barograph, as I need to log (record) weather at sea. I check the calibration against the ship's certified barometer to be sure the Rangeman is calibrated accurately, then I have the info at hand (literally) when I need it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts