WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While hunting for an affordable rendition version of the Marathon all stainless watches, such as the older Royal Swiss and Del Mar dive watches, I came across an 1991 Government contract field watch on ebay. The listing ended today and I got it for under $55.00 shipped, which may be a bit to much but it got my interest up a bit so what the heck.

Here are the sellers photos of it:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Lens cap Electronics Gadget

It's described by the seller as follows:
Vintage Army Watch Well Benrus 1991 Marathon
Used with some minor scratches on the face. Mechanical watch made by well benrus in 1991. Like the marathon watch. H3 tritium. US only.
It appears to be a MIL-W-46374E Type 2 based on the images, the case back and the description. That said the case back doesn't specify just which type it is nor does it provide the manufactures name. SO, I'm curious to know what I may have on the way.

The seller listed his location as Killeen, Texas which is where Fort Hood is located so I am pretty confident it's a legit .mil watch. That said, I'm not sure if it's a NATO spec watch that may have been sold through an overseas PX or something which may have had access to watches not normally in the US based supply chain.

From what I can figure out, Benrus should have already been out of the field watch supply chain by the time the MIL-W-46374E standard was adopted but I can't make out any manufacture information from the image on the case back. I did note the "Swiss Made" markings on the dial face.

Is this a Marathon or Benrus or something else? Any guesses on Type 1 or Type 2?

Thanks
Wes

PS: Any advice on buffing the scratches out of the crystal? Thanks!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Rare..Odd ball...or what? New to me MIL-W-46374E Benrus / "Well Benrus" watch on the way

Any one?

Wes

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
Re: Rare..Odd ball...or what? New to me MIL-W-46374E Benrus / "Well Benrus" watch on the way

I'm not sure but I would think a Marathon. For some reason it doesn't strike me as a Benrus.

Hopefully someone who knows will chime in.

·
Registered
251 Posts

I use 1200 grit wet and dry (gently) followed by Brasso for those types of scratches. Works nicely. If the scratches are not deep, just Brasso.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I use 1200 grit wet and dry (gently) followed by Brasso for those types of scratches. Works nicely. If the scratches are not deep, just Brasso.
Thanks for the advice. The seller shipped today so I'll get a better assesment in a few days.

I'm still interested in gathering more info on this.

Does any one know if Marathon offers refurbing services for these old field watches. I know that's probably a bit over the top for a watch of this type, but I know some companies take a lot of pride in making sure their old products stay in service as long as possible.

Thanks
Wes

·
4,410 Posts

Absolutely not a Benrus. It's a Marathon.

·
Premium Member
6,817 Posts

The five-digit CAGE (Commercial and Government Entity) code, 38776, IDs it as Marathon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts