WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Rare Rado watch?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Henry Krinkle 
#1 ·
Hi... I'm new to this forum, so I hope I'm posting this the right place.

I've bought this Rado automatic watch recently from a seller, who told me that it was probably a rare Rado watch made for the military, and that it was from the 1940's or 1950's model. It has a AS 1361 movement and so far (a couple of days) it holds time just fine.

The thing is however, I can't find anything online that looks like it or a model name, that could confirm the story and if it's a real Rado!

Anyone of you watch wizards out there might help?

With best
Peter,
Copenhagen

NB. The picture of the inside is in really bad resolution, but it is the only one I've got at this time. Sorry.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Welcome to Watchuseek! I think that the watch looks generally plausible. What isn't plausible is the story about it being a military watch. It is certainly far too late for WWII and even post WWII, a black dial doesn't by any means make a military watch! Black dials are quite rare in vintage watches anway and many are redials (nothing like a thick layer of black lacquer to hide imperfections!) but from here, I'm willing to believe that this one is genuine.

Enjoy the watch.

Hartmut Richter

#11 ·
Thank you for sharing your thoughts Hartmut Richter - and thank you for your warm wlecome! Good point about it being to late to have anything to do with WWII.
Also interesting that black dials are rare on older watches - that is news for me. I also think the dial is original because the small gold lines go all the way to the center of the dial, so it would have been a really tedious paint job and a lot to go through just to hide imperfections.

/Peter

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.