WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Toronto and I have went to basically every AD there is. They have no SS models in stock, even the most basic black models that they used to have alot of stock for. What happened here? I understand if the LV has extremely limited stock, but what about the standard black submariner? The AD I frequent at the most told me there's a 2-3 months waitlist (lol), and a few others weren't even taking deposits anymore for this year.

Also, when I requested to be placed on the waitlist for the no date submariner, they informed me that there's absolutely no discounts being offered for any models now. Has this become the norm? I was under the impression that maybe only the more LE ones weren't subject to discounts, but the more common ones should be right? I mean I was literally taught by this forums to always request a discount, as it's common practice for ADs. I haven't been to a Rolex AD in more than a year, so this has come to me as a bit of a shock.

THis is the case for all the ADs btw. SOme of them even carry Tudors and even the Tudors were not given a single cent of discount anymore.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
when they said no discounts were they referring to sport as well as models like the datejust? it seems as if Rolex demand has either far outpaced supply or Rolex themselves have cut back thus increasing demand, only time will tell if this is the new norm.

·
14,559 Posts
Welcome to the world of Rolex. It has become a privilege to be allowed to purchase a Rolex sports model. Count yourself lucky that they even considered you as worthy to place you on the waitlist without a previous purchase history. It has also become quite common to ask that you purchase a full precious metal model to make you eligible to purchase a hard-to-get SS sports model. Unfortunately MSRP is the new discount for many models.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
No such thing as a common steel sports Rolex anymore. Discounts are for Datejusts and Oyster Perpetuals. Submariners and Explorers and Daytona’s aren’t really found in ADs anymore, but on the grey market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to the world of Rolex. It has become a privilege to be allowed to purchase a Rolex sports model. Count yourself lucky that they even considered you as worthy to place you on the waitlist without a previous purchase history. It has also become quite common to ask that you purchase a full precious metal model to make you eligible to purchase a hard-to-get SS sports model. Unfortunately MSRP is the new discount for many models.
The AD where I placed the deposit at is the one I frequently go to to buy watches. I have bought a few Tudors from them. Now that I'm finally able to afford a Rolex, they inform me that they don't have it in stock anymore.

That being said, it is quite a bummer that this has become the case. And I never asked about Datejust models, I only specifically asked for the Sub, Deepsea, and GMT master models. They do have the standard GMT master II and sea dweller, but that's about it

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
My friend recently bought a datejust 36 116234 and he only managed to get 3% discount, 1 year ago I was offered 8% on a DJ36.
I'm hoping that I can still get discount on Tudors, the BB58 is high on my list but I can wait until the hype goes down maybe later this year.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
Historically AD’s would give discount on watches to keep inventory moving and at the same time maintain a healthy sales volume. However now, Rolex has squeezed the inventory so much (thus artificially catapulting the demand) that AD’s don’t want to miss out on a penny on even a single sale that they are able to make. For the most part almost all professional stainless steel models are already pre-sold.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Agree with above. And I really don't see the benefit.

This will turn many away from the AD (who were previous supporters) and into the grey market in my estimation.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I live in Toronto and I have went to basically every AD there is. They have no SS models in stock, even the most basic black models that they used to have alot of stock for. What happened here? I understand if the LV has extremely limited stock, but what about the standard black submariner? The AD I frequent at the most told me there's a 2-3 months waitlist (lol), and a few others weren't even taking deposits anymore for this year.

Also, when I requested to be placed on the waitlist for the no date submariner, they informed me that there's absolutely no discounts being offered for any models now. Has this become the norm? I was under the impression that maybe only the more LE ones weren't subject to discounts, but the more common ones should be right? I mean I was literally taught by this forums to always request a discount, as it's common practice for ADs. I haven't been to a Rolex AD in more than a year, so this has come to me as a bit of a shock.

THis is the case for all the ADs btw. SOme of them even carry Tudors and even the Tudors were not given a single cent of discount anymore.
The challenge with leveraging a discount (from your POV) is that if there are months long waiting lists for models, why should the AD offer a discount? Even if it's not Rolex dictum to not allow discounts, it could be AD ingenuity recognizing an opportunity to make a bit more money as the selling is so easy right now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I also live in Toronto and I've been told much worse than 2-3 months for a Sub. I consider you luckier than me!

If you wait it out, you'll be wearing a Sub before the snow starts. I'd happily wait if I were in your shoes. I think you should put your name down at your AD asap. There's no reason for them discount a watch with such high demand as well.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Agree with above. And I really don't see the benefit.

This will turn many away from the AD (who were previous supporters) and into the grey market in my estimation.
Depending on the prices I can see this turning folks away from Rolex as I am sure many/most won't want to take a risk with the grey market, not to mention how Rolex themselves states one shouldn't buy anywhere other than an AD.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Depending on the prices I can see this turning folks away from Rolex as I am sure many/most won't want to take a risk with the grey market, not to mention how Rolex themselves states one shouldn't buy anywhere other than an AD.
Of course they say that.... Rolex would never endorse the grey market but the fact is there are some very reputable (grey market) dealers out there. I don't see any risk. Unless you do zero homework and jump on Ebay for instance. However I agree with you that souring the buying experience can't help. May even give other brands a boost..or at minimum some consideration.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Seems like they’re trying to turn the brand into some sort of exclusive high-luxury business while catering to the masses with Tudor. We should all be considering ourselves lucky here that we already got a Rolex or two as the next logical step would be for them to double prices for everything.

Fair enough - however, they’re currently bumming out consumers and are driving ADs towards other brands as well. If an AD doesn’t manage to get watches to sell, they’ll find manufacturers that can deliver. I know that my AD has added Zenith, Chopard and Breitling to their product portfolio over the last year in order to still be able to stay in business.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
Of course they say that.... Rolex would never endorse the grey market but the fact is there are some very reputable (grey market) dealers out there. I don't see any risk. Unless you do zero homework and jump on Ebay for instance. However I agree with you that souring the buying experience can't help. May even give other brands a boost..or at minimum some consideration.
while follks on here may know that and be willing to buy from Grey market you can't deny that the average buyer is most likely not going to take the gamble. Not to mention with most of the grey dealers your either doing a wire transfer or paying some kind of credit processing fee.

Speaking for myself regardless of how well regarded some of the grey dealers are I prefer to buy from an AD, almost to the point I won't buy from grey or will look at another brand.

I'd figure for most to consider grey they either really want to have that model or Rolex would have to lighten up on actively trying to tell folks to avoid them.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Was at an AD today, only SS sport models they had was a no date Submariner, a milgauss, and a couple yachtmasters with the Platinum bezel. Rest were PM or two tone.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
Luxury brands aren’t luxury brands if everyone can have one.

The fewer Rolexes available for sale the better. Makes the rest of us that much more special.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts