Votes: 13 10.5%
  • Only quartz

Votes: 2 1.6%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is NOT a debate which one is better!

This is just to get a feel for how the WUS collections are made up. For example, do you have clearly more mechanicals than quartz, or the other way around? Or is it half-half?

Pick the ratio that's closest.

I think for me it's quite exactly 2/3 quartz and 1/3 mechanical.

It would be nice to know why the collection is conceived in this manner. For me it's a cost and function factor. There are many great watches with desirable functions and looks that are quartz. They simply don't exist in mechanical versions and if they did, I wouldn't be able to afford them. I would own high complication mechanicals if I could afford them. However, I'd still be interested in stuff like G-Shocks or an Attesa.

Till

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Mine was 100% quartz until I discovered WUS. Since then I've bought 6 mechanicals so now I'm about 60/40 quartz.

I'm certainly not going to rule out quartz ever again. There are things to say about a grab and go watch. I've got my eye on the BaliHai Q as well as the Sinn UX.

Bob

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
I'm actually around 90% mechanical and I'm thinking a G-Shock or Eco-Drive for my next set-it-and-forget-it watch.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I am 60% mechanical, not because mechanical is better in my perception, but because quartz offer me fewer choice than mechanical.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I only own three Quartz, and one Tuning fork. The rest are mechanical

The list below is missing my latest buys.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
30% auto 60% manual 10% quartz

I have no problem with quartz movements but I probably only wear each watch a couple time a month. I feel like it's kind of a waste of batteries since it's running for nothing most of the time.

·
Banned
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am 60% mechanical, not because mechanical is better in my perception, but because quartz offer me fewer choice than mechanical.
How so? In terms of features, looks, brands?

Till

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
How so? In terms of features, looks, brands?

Till
Hi Till,

Here's my situation, I like chronograph and divers. I can get cheap divers, mostly from Seiko [I am saving now from middle brand, obviously ;-)], and the good thing is they are automatic. But the problem is in chronograph, automatic chronograph is far away from my budget, so in recent times, I stay with quartz chronograph. Fewer choice from because of limited budget, right.

So the verdict in my situation is; budget. But though if I can buy auto's, doesn't mean I hate quartz. I always bring quartz watches in business traveling.

Ryan

·
Registered
50 Posts
I voted for 80% mechanical,but i also have some electric and electronic mechanical watches that are not quartz,so i included those to.|>

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,284 Posts
30% auto 60% manual 10% quartz
I have no problem with quartz movements but I probably only wear each watch a couple time a month. I feel like it's kind of a waste of batteries since it's running for nothing most of the time.
I just stop them while they're stored. Pull the crown out. It's not bad for them is it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just stop them while they're stored. Pull the crown out. It's not bad for them is it?
battery leakage could be a problem,also you're not saving the battery by pulling the crown out,as the battery will loose its charge anyway,on the plus side its less wear on the movement,that's my two pence worth.:)

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Just under 1/10.

But, if you only count "operational" (those quartz watches with batteries) it drops to 2/100.

·
Registered
21,068 Posts
60% mechanical (3/5 worn). Though I plan on evening that out with a G-Shock purchase, and then tipping it the other way back to mechanicals shortly after that.

·
Moderator Public Forum
24,108 Posts
Some of us own tuning fork and other movements as well. So I showed mine as a percent of the total collection:

%
Quartz: 18
Tuning fork: 14
Mechanical: 68

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
56 % mechanical, 44% quartz. Obviously all my vintage stuff is mechanical. Every modern watch I've got right now is quartz with the exception of one Vostok Europe auto.
I grew up with cheap mechanical watches and switched to quartz 30 years ago because of its superior accuracy and cost of ownership. It's way cheaper to switch a battery every couple of years than to pay for mechanical service. If I'm going to invest in servicing I want it to be on an antique. And I like G-Shocks too.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts