WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I recently purchased a manually wound 1969 caravelle devil diver (pictured). The watch is running well and keeping excellent time, but I’ve noticed that when the case is moved or gently shaken, there is a rattle inside the case. It sounds fairly solid and one sided (sound coming from under 9), I’m guessing one of the movement screws must be loose. There is no movement of the dial when I hear the rattle. The caseback is tight and I don’t have a caseback opener.

Given that the watch is running well, is this an urgent service issue? I don’t want to risk damaging the movement by wearing it given the rattle. Like I mentioned, my best guess is that the movement may be loose given how solid the rattle sounds, but I’m not sure since I haven’t opened the caseback. I’d appreciate any thoughts!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Hi all,

I recently purchased a manually wound 1969 caravelle devil diver (pictured). The watch is running well and keeping excellent time, but I’ve noticed that when the case is moved or gently shaken, there is a rattle inside the case. It sounds fairly solid and one sided (sound coming from under 9), I’m guessing one of the movement screws must be loose. There is no movement of the dial when I hear the rattle. The caseback is tight and I don’t have a caseback opener.

Given that the watch is running well, is this an urgent service issue? I don’t want to risk damaging the movement by wearing it given the rattle. Like I mentioned, my best guess is that the movement may be loose given how solid the rattle sounds, but I’m not sure since I haven’t opened the caseback. I’d appreciate any thoughts!

View attachment 15508097
It probably had a movement spacer that didn't get re-installed the last time the back was opened.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
jrmjrm...Hello.

I certainly would not wear a watch with a rattle inside...that seems to be asking for a damaged watch. OUCH.

If you're 'mechanically inclined', get a case wrench & open the watch & take a look. If you are not interested in working on this watch yourself, simply find someone who is...a Good Person will take a quick look, and let you know what's what, and it may well not cost you anything.

...imagine you own a Jaguar XKE: would you be comfortable driving around with a strange sound coming from the engine?

...I thought not!

Michael.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input! Ordered a case wrench and will take a look. Hopefully nothing major.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Thanks for the input! Ordered a case wrench and will take a look. Hopefully nothing major.
Looks good!

Do be careful opening the case: some of these things seem to have been secured with some kind of 'Atomic Glue' (!), and can be REALLY difficult to move. I have worked on at least 50 watches with case backs all banged-up...including Omega and Longines and Rolex and...well: you get my point!

Good luck with it. I'd be very surprised if it's anything serious.

Michael.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
It is ether a loose case screw, a movement holder that has tabs that the tabs are bent down or it is missing the case spring (stupid wavy looking round metal thing that goes between the movement holder and case back to hold the movement)

It is a shame the watch is missing its bezel

Update:

It looks like it has tabs so just bend the tabs up towards you a bit. Of course the holder might be missing

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is ether a loose case screw, a movement holder that has tabs that the tabs are bent down or it is missing the case spring (stupid wavy looking round metal thing that goes between the movement holder and case back to hold the movement)

It is a shame the watch is missing its bezel

Update:

It looks like it has tabs so just bend the tabs up towards you a bit. Of course the holder might be missing

View attachment 15510130
I actually have the original bezel! I wear it without the bezel from time to time to go for the Explorer 1016 look. Thanks so much for the helpful info. I have a case wrench on the way and will take a look. After seeing your photo and with the sound being localized to one side, I'm thinking that the tabs must not be flipped down under 9 o clock.

·
Registered
440 Posts
And be careful when you open it that some tiny thing doesn’t fall out and prompt you to spent the afternoon on the floor, searching for the ghost of the rattle...

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
I actually have the original bezel! I wear it without the bezel from time to time to go for the Explorer 1016 look. Thanks so much for the helpful info. I have a case wrench on the way and will take a look. After seeing your photo and with the sound being localized to one side, I'm thinking that the tabs must not be flipped down under 9 o clock.
If the watch is loose due to the tabs, you need to bend them up towards you, those tabs allows the case back to put pressure on the movement holder so that there is no looseness.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I was finally able to open the caseback and here's what I found. It looks like there's a movement holder there, but it's not the one with tabs. When I applied pressure to the crown, both the movement and dial wiggled back and forth together. I also notice there are two screws that appear to be missing at the top and bottom of the movement, but I'm not sure if that's problematic because others I've seen are missing them, too.

What's my best course of action here? Try to source a caravelle movement holder with tabs and install it? Seems like there just needs to be some pressure between the movement and caseback in order to hold everything steady. Or it could be those screws. Timekeeping/power reserve are still great.

Thanks all for the help!

·
Premium Member
7,571 Posts
Looks like it is missing the movement holder. If you can find one, that's great, but it may have to be fabricated.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
The trouble is that Bulova does not seem to consistent in their case holders on these watches. I have looked at many pics of the Caravelle diver models with the 11DP and there is several methods they use on securing the movement

On yours, I see there is a wavy case back ring attached to the case back. Try to bend the wavy parts a bit so they stick up a bit further away from the case back(sticking up towards you when you are looking at it. That will probably solve the loose movement on the 9 o'clock side(odds are the wave at the 9 is bent down a bit more then the others)

Also a lot of watch movements have screw holes, this allowed the maker to use the movement in a lot of watches. Not all of the watches a specific movement is in uses the screws.

·
Premium Member
7,571 Posts
On yours, I see there is a wavy case back ring attached to the case back. Try to bend the wavy parts a bit so they stick up a bit further away from the case back(sticking up towards you when you are looking at it. That will probably solve the loose movement on the 9 o'clock side(odds are the wave at the 9 is bent down a bit more then the others)
Good eye. I didn't notice that "spring" holder attached to the case-back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The trouble is that Bulova does not seem to consistent in their case holders on these watches. I have looked at many pics of the Caravelle diver models with the 11DP and there is several methods they use on securing the movement

Also a lot of watch movements have screw holes, this allowed the maker to use the movement in a lot of watches. Not all of the watches a specific movement is in uses the screws.
Seems to be working out so far!! Great catch. Bent the ring a bit and now it seems like there’s enough pressure between the caseback and movement now. No rattle or dial movement. Really appreciate the help!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Ah Great!!!

I actually hate wave rings and other case holders like those tab ones. I wish they all had screw tabs that slide into a slot in the case

1 - 16 of 16 Posts