WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

After much difficulty, I have narrowed my search to two watches (although, I am open to suggestions):
- The Raymond Weil Freelancer. For example, see: Raymond Weil Freelancer Chronograph Stainless Steel 7730-ST-20101
- The Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16. For example, see: Tag Heuer Carrera Calibre 16 100m Gent's Watch

[The above websites are to show you which watches I am considering]

I have come to learn that owning a watch is about much more than how it looks, although this is an important consideration. I have based my decision thus far on company reputation and looks. I am still quite new to luxury watches, and this is my very first purchase of a high quality watch.

Please, can you kindly advise me as to which watch is the better choice? I am 27 years old and both my girlfriend and I cannot select between the watches. I hope someone on this forum can help given that you would know much more about watch quality, design, mechanics, etc and thus are able to advise on the better choice.

If a watch with a similar look comes to mind please let me know. I am open to suggestions.

Thank you very much for your help

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Welcome to WUS!

Have you tried both on your wrists? To me neither would be a good pick, as they are thick (as in diver watch thick). Actually, I am pretty sure there are divers thinner than both these ;-)

After you do your initial filtering pictures only, I would recommend you visit a store and try a few/all of them on your wrist. There are many factors, like wrist size, weight of watch, thickness, etc; all of those make the experience of owning this or that watch unique.

As marketing pictures are made to lure, I would also suggest you go through the forums to see if there are actual wrist shots of the watches you like ;-) Gives you an idea of the appeal and can also get some owner perspective on the models.

Now, to some of your questions - I believe both listed items have ETA (or ETA modified) movement inside, so not much to write home about

I would expand your search into Seiko, Mido, Stowa, Baume & Mercier, Longines, Oris (their Atelier line has some sweet watches), maybe Hamilton and lots of other brands fellow members will chime in |>

Last but not least, make sure you do your homework on prices - do not pay sticker price. With the proper attitude and approach, you can get discounts from authorized dealers. There is also a rare animal, called FAD (Favourite/Forum Authorized Dealer) where the majority of us like to shop due to excellent customer service and goodies (discounts or freebies like extra straps).

Again, welcome and enjoy the experience of finding your watch :-!

P.S. If at certain stage you feel like "I cannot wait anymore, buying now", I suggest you buy yourself a daily beater for a lot less and then continuing the search for your proper watch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts