WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put my Raymond Weil Parsifal Automatic (2842-STC-05661) in to Mann Jewelers to be serviced by Raymond Weil. I had not bought the watch from Mann, but they are the closest RW dealer to me. The watch was almost four years old and was keeping perfect time, but not keeping much reserve time. It had no scratches on the either sapphire crystals or to the crown and only very fine sratches to the case as you would expect from four years of wear. Mann sent the watch to Raymond Weil's service center in NYC. I asked that the watch have a "normal service" and for the leather band to be replaced. Total cost: $700. ($265 for the band new band). It is my favorite watch, so I didn't balk at the price. When the watch came back, I refused to pick it up because of the following:

1. "New" leather band was already cracked. My four-year-old band's condition was comparabale to the new band.
2. Two severe gouge marks on the right hand side lugs--apparently from changing the band.
3. Black grease smudge across the rotor (visible throught the crystal back).
4. Black grease marks on the back of the watch.
5. The buckle and watch had not been polished.

Mann was very understanding and apologetic. They sent the watch back to Raymond Weil in NYC with my concerns noted. The response from the Service Center was that the watch "already had those scratches," and if I wanted the watch and buckle to be polished, it would be another $45. There was no response as to the new cracked watch band, black grease smudge on the rotor or the black grease marks on the back of the watch.

Raymond Weil needs to understand that without good workmanship and good service from their Service Centers, their watches become in effect disposable. Why pay $700 for a poorly done service when you could just invest that money into a new watch? Why buy a RW knowing that the watch won't be taken care of properly when it comes times to service it in three years?

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
That sucks. You'd think that a >$400 service would bring the watch to near new.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
Terrible re-sale value + terrible service is not a good combination.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
That's a pretty hefty service price. I'd expect that of Omega or Rolex but from RW? Not good. I'm sorry that whole situation is happening to you. I would follow the chain of command until it gets sorted out properly. Good luck mate.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
$265 for a leather band??? That's shocking. You could probably have brought a good comparable band from a German manufacturer like Hirsch or Di-Modell for less than $60 (and then just put you RW buckle on it). The prices that these Swiss brands charge is often ridiculous, but they do it because they know that people will pay that price.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Sorry to hear about your awful experience. For how much they're charging, if they're not willing to do their job and make your watch almost new, they are unlikely to do it right the second time around. I think you are right in that your money may be better spent on a new watch (that is not from Raymond Weil, which, by the way, is a brand with a less-than-stellar reputation on these forums/fora) from a company that will do a better job of servicing it.

Raymond Weil seem to believe that they are luxury watchmakers (they are not; they simply manufacture expensive watches - luxury consumer goods get that moniker not only because of the quality of materials but from the service that justifies the extra expenditure, which is clearly lacking in the case of Raymond Weil), hence the hefty price tag on the service, but if what you have described is the best they can do, they are no better than glorified scam artists.

Reactions: Illyria

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I'd consider a independent watchmaker next time, unless it's under warranty. I've heard horror stories about most service centers, whether it be Seiko or Rolex. I'm also now regretting sending my watch to Gevril Group in NYC (service center for Eterna).

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
That's a pretty hefty service price. I'd expect that of Omega or Rolex but from RW? Not good. I'm sorry that whole situation is happening to you. I would follow the chain of command until it gets sorted out properly. Good luck mate.
+1

I think it would be a good idea if the OP made it clear that he's not some average consumer who buys into RW's claims of being an Uber luxury brand justified in charging such prices. Let them know they're dealing with someone who knows that RW's ADs typically discount 30% - 40% on an RW watch, and that used prices easily fall below 50% of new ones.

Unfortunately, sometimes you need to give individuals and companies a reality check in order to get them to stop with the BS. Time for a reminder that they're not that other Swiss brand whose name begins with "R."

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
+1

I think it would be a good idea if the OP made it clear that he's not some average consumer who buys into RW's claims of being an Uber luxury brand justified in charging such prices. Let them know they're dealing with someone who knows that RW's ADs typically discount 30% - 40% on an RW watch, and that used prices easily fall below 50% of new ones.

Unfortunately, sometimes you need to give individuals and companies a reality check in order to get them to stop with the BS. Time for a reminder that they're not that other Swiss brand whose name begins with "R."
I knew RW's resale rep when I bought the watch, so I knew I would never get much for it. I bought it on the grey market for 50% off MSRP. I always figured I'd pay $350 for a service on any Swiss auto. The price of the new band was a shock though. It shocked Mann too, and they actually called RW in NYC to verify it wasn't a typo.

I have to say I have owed three Rolexes and a couple of Cartier autos, and I found the RW accuracy to surpass them without question. For a non-chrono movement, it was as accurate as a quartz.

But with the poor service issue, I think I am done with RW...I would tell people to buy it and know that in three years you might be putting it in a drawer and getting something else with the money that would normally go toward servicing.

I still have not seen it since it came back from it's "second service," and I still haven't decided if I will just pay Mann for the shipping charges ($50) and tell them to send the watch back to RW Service Center for keeps. An expensive lesson learned.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
+1

I don't think a confrontational attitude will achieve what the OP wants here. Telling someone they're crap and you're aware they're crap is not usually an effective way to get them to do what you want.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
I don't think a confrontational attitude will achieve what the OP wants here. Telling someone they're crap and you're aware they're crap is not usually an effective way to get them to do what you want.
Not about being confrontational. It's about being honest, and letting them know you're not an ignorant person.

I once walked into a watch shop inside a mall to get a strap removed and the springbars put back on so I could use a Zulu strap on that watch. (Ended up using a NATO strap on that watch instead though). A young gentleman quoted me a price of $5. I knew nothing about strap changes back then, so I paid him. Returned one week later to have the same thing done to another dive watch. This time so I could use a Zulu strap instead. There was an older gentleman in the shop. I asked him to do the same thing. He tells me "No problem." Then tells me it was going to be $10.

I wasn't confrontational, angry, or rude to him. However, I did point out that just last week I had been in his store and the price I paid definitely wasn't $10. We talked for a little bit. Pleasant conversation. I got what I wanted, and I sure as Hell didn't pay double what I paid for the very same service just a week ago.

Just how it goes sometimes. Sometimes you have to be direct and point out you're not an ignorant slob off the street who'll believe whatever they tell you.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Well, I guess this story helps to explain why RW threads seem to be noticeably scarce on WUS.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Why not try contacting the head office in Switzerland? If they blow you off, then post about it here. RW-NY has treated you badly.

I almost bought a RW watch in October, but forum comments steered me away from it. After reading this thread, I'm glad.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Why not try contacting the head office in Switzerland? If they blow you off, then post about it here. RW-NY has treated you badly.

I almost bought a RW watch in October, but forum comments steered me away from it. After reading this thread, I'm glad.

I just might do that. I still have to go and see what has become of my watch after its second trip to the Service Center in NYC, and I am not anxious to see what has been done. If it's not good, I don't want it back.

Interestingly, Mann told me that had I bought the RW from them, the local RW Representative that looks after Mann would have been accessible to me and would have worked to ensure that the issue was resolved. As I had not bought it from Mann (and I didn't disclose it came from the gray market), the RW Representative was not accessible to me (I couldn't speak to him). I thought this was a bit odd, as surely the RW Representative would want to know that the NYC Service Center had charged over $700 for a failed service.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
I hear stories of substandard service jobs from other Swiss brand's US based service centers as well. Over on the Omega forums, some members are very vocal that in order to avoid this kind of failed service, it's best to always have the service done at the main service branch in Switzerland. After your issues with the NY service center have been resolved, it might be beneficial to send it off to RW's Swiss service center instead of the NY branch for future maintenance. Provided you ever want to give RW another shot at servicing your watch instead of going with a reputable local watchmaker.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Why not get it serviced with a reputable independent watchmaker instead? They're few and far between, but they are out there and do a great job at a fraction of the cost with zero hassle...
Sorry to hear about the shoddy service you received.

(Edit - Ha! Nightowl above beat me too it re: the local watchmaker route)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts