WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a ladies Raymond Weil Parsifal watch for my wife. On closer inspection I noticed on the back plate that the word 'Stainless' is mispelt! It actually states 'STINLESS' This surprises me from a quality watch maker. It doesn't affect the watch, but I'm wondering whether I should bring to RW's attention or if it is so rare an occurance is it worth more money :)

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Did you purchase it from a reputable source? Misspellings are often evidence of counterfeit watches....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you purchase it from a reputable source? Misspellings are often evidence of counterfeit watches....

Yes, It was an official RW dealer. I have the supplied international warranty certificate. The watch looks perfect in every other way.

G

·
Yes, It was an official RW dealer. I have the supplied international warranty certificate. The watch looks perfect in every other way.
The international warranty certificate doesn't indicate that you watch is genuine:think:
I wouldn't accept a wrong spelling, neitther on the dial nor on the case back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is no way RW would mispell "stainless".

Well, it does seem weird, but I have looked very carefully at images of the watch in RW literature and I can can see no (other) difference with the item I have purchased.

I phoned RW service department in the UK today. A guy there laughed and said that the watch backplates are laser scribed and said theer could be a batch of mispelt plates. He said if I sent the watch to them, they would replace the plate.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I phoned RW service department in the UK today. A guy there laughed and said that the watch backplates are laser scribed and said theer could be a batch of mispelt plates. He said if I sent the watch to them, they would replace the plate.
do not send it, neither ! if it's a fake they'll keep it in order to destroy it, you'll loose watch and money :-(
now, suppose it's not a fake, you have a collector watch :)

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
do not send it, neither ! if it's a fake they'll keep it in order to destroy it, you'll loose watch and money :-(
now, suppose it's not a fake, you have a collector watch :)
How about going to the dealer you bought it from, and maybe one or two others, and looking at other examples to see if the word is mis-spelt on them.

I think for your own peace of mind, you need to make sure it's not a fake.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
We've recently had 2 different fellows post in Affordables that they received excellent buys on Steinhart watches that had the "S" on the clasp stamped backwards.
Apparently there are more to be had on the 'bay, but I haven't looked.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The Steinhart thing was completely legit AFAIK. It ws endoresed on their site and acknowledged as a mistake.

In the case of the RW, I think this is clearly a dealer issue. If they are truly an AD, it is incumbent upon them to fron this issue for you. If they refuse, I'd return the watch and potentially dispute the charge on my card (if you used one) if they protested.

If it was an authentic Rolex with a dial misprint, I'd say you might have a collectors piece. As it stands, it is what it is - aggravating and perhpas a little suspicious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in the UK. The watch was purchased in Spain (Not from someone on the beach!!)

I am contacting RW in Switzerland about this

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If Doxa can mispell "Caribbean," RW can mispell "stainless." :-d

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE Re: Raymond Weil spelling error on new watch

In a previous post, I said I had written to Raymonnd Weil in Switzerland about this. For those who might wish to follow the saga. Here is their response:

"Thank you for your recent e mail regarding your wife's RAYMOND WEIL timepiece and we are very sorry to learn of your disappointment. We suggest you forward the watch to us, by special delivery, at Swico, Meadway, Haslemere, Surrey GU27 1NN, quoting your e mail as a reference. Upon receipt a new case back will be ordered from Switzerland on your behalf and fitted to your wife's watch at no cost to yourself. We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused by this error. If I can be of any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: UPDATE Re: Raymond Weil spelling error on new watch

what ended up happening with this issue????
I've got a RW Freelancer and am very impressed with the quality

1 - 14 of 14 Posts