WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had a near miss with my Nomos and a brick wall this morning and wondered if the case been damaged beyond repair (unlikely, I know) but the movement, crystal, dials hands etc were all good, what cost would be involved in re-casing it all. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I would imagine that it's not too difficult to do - watch cases in countless sizes and styles are available on eBay and Ofrei. I think it would just be a matter of finding one that will fit the movement.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would imagine that it's not too difficult to do - watch cases in countless sizes and styles are available on eBay and Ofrei. I think it would just be a matter of finding one that will fit the movement.
I believe it would be best to stick with another Nomos case as opposed to just say any old case that will fit, but then again what the hell do I know. Maybe this could be a good opportunity to try and make your own case. :)

Sent from my arc 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
So I had a near miss with my Nomos and a brick wall this morning and wondered if the case been damaged beyond repair (unlikely, I know) but the movement, crystal, dials hands etc were all good, what cost would be involved in re-casing it all. Has anyone done this?
Call Nomos and ask them how much a new case would cost. Add $30 to $50 dollars for shipping for me to do it.....

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
With a watch that nice I would get Nomos to repair if it happened. Painful but the best way to be sure.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Ouch.... I popped a spring bar on a Hamilton once and it dropped onto my driveway putting a nasty (irreparable) gouge in one of the lugs (not a mark anywhere else). I sent it away to Hamilton for re-casing. For what it's worth, the cost to do that was $300, but that included the labour cost for doing the work in addition to the cost of case. I have no idea what the cost of the case by itself would have been, or even if it would have been possible to purchase (you know how 'finicky' most watch companies are when it comes to selling parts other than simple accessories).

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Refurbishing the case through Nomos costs between €40-60. Very reasonable I think, however I don't know if they mean just touching up a light ding or scratch, or completing a whole 'refurbishment' as it reads.
I definitely wouldn't assume that "refurbishing" and "replacing" are the same thing.

That said, Nomos has built a reputation for reasonable access to replacement parts, so I'd expect them to have a solution that doesn't gouge the consumer. I'd be far more worried if the same thing happened to a Rolex or Omega (for example), there the company would see providing the part/repair as an opportunity for absurd profit.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Drinking so early in the morning is not a good idea...

I have a contact at Nomos and can get a quote for a new case if you want. Which model?

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all! To clarify though - I didn't actually damage my watch at all, but it was close. Just a hypothetical question.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
My watchmaker real cases (vintage) watches in period correct cases for free for me if needed.

Sent from my N9810 using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts