WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Enzo EM001 Review

Gentlefolk;

Please forgive the newbie question,for I have just found this forum, and frankly, next to my VW Diesel forum, this is the way-coolest place I have found! I have discovered my inner watch geek! Though my wife would contend that I had discovered it some time back, just had not come out of the closet...

I have noticed in the review of the Enzo, and others, of time slippage of seconds per day which confuses me a bit. Are we referring here to strictly mechanical/wind watches?

Thank you! (perhaps I should have hit the FAQ first before posting, but well.... time is slipping by....)

Don

S

·
0 Posts

Hi Don,

Moved your question from our Review Forum to the Public Forum. The Review Forum should be reserved for reviews (only).

·
Registered
1,313 Posts

I think that Enzo review was mine and yes, it's an automatic/mechanical so it is expected to gain/lose some time per day. Usually folks measure the gain/loss in seconds per 24 hours. In my case, both the manufacturer and myself thought that +23 seconds in 24 hours was unacceptable so he took it back, made some tweaks and it's running like a champ.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts

Yes...mechanicals/automatics have a great deal of "slippage" compared to quartz. COSC (Chronometer certification) which is the highest degree of consistency has a tolerance of 14/+6 seconds per day, whereas most quartz watches (regardless of price) are off no more than a few seconds per month!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Hi Steve;

Just now discovering the complexity of the watch world - and frankly thought that mechancals had all but disappeared. So I was a little surprised that a "new quartz" would be shifting by the amount you indicated. Makes sense now since yours' is a full-mechanical.

I am going to be very interested in learning more about the watch world here. I had been turned off with mechanicals due to the relative inaccuracy compared to quartz, but I can't deny the charm of ticks.

Thank you again for allowing me to poach your thread <g>

Don

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks, Ken;

So, for the newbie watch snob, how are the types of watches ranked? My main watch is a Seiko quartz analogue, which is also the most I have spent on a watch, it being in the $400 range. But "premium" watches seem to be mechanicals - which kind of confuses me since mechancals are not going to be as accurate -- but there seems to be a trend of enjoying watches that are not the most accurate (rather an oxymoron, if one thinks of it...)

Much to learn.

Many thanks!

Don

·
Registered
104 Posts

Don, the mechanicals are appreciated for their mechanicalness, so to speak. It's the gears, levers, springs and whatever else goes on in these little motors that are strapped to our wrists that make them interesting. It also ties us in to watch making since the beginning of watches.

Quartz is cool too, for some of us. I can appreciate the higher degree of accuracy. Some of us seek out quartz models that are beyond the accuracy of normal quartz watches. Those are referred to as High end quartz on this forum.

Hope you come to appreciate both types of watches.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts

Hi Don.
Steve's Enzo, and all Enzos are automatics.
23 secs off in a day in a quartz would mean "Yer watch is broke son" in technospeak.
Also Ken above, had a bit of a confusing typo.
Chronometer specs are -4 to +6 seconds per 24 hrs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts