WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Ray and I used to moderate this forum with Eeeb and JohnF. I have recently retired as a MaL on WUS and hopefully I'll have more time to participate in what I really like - vintage.
Hope you didn't mind me jumping back in without re-introducing myself. I know a few folks here will remember me from a past life. :)

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Hello Ray,

good to see you back here!

Regards
Tomcat

·
Registered
13,428 Posts
And welcome from me
adam

Reactions: Sdasurrey

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CERTAINLY WELCOME. Would you have an opinion about a GRUEN RR 16S I posted Sept. 7? artb

View attachment 1754658 View attachment 1754666
Well aside from the fact that I remember you always post superb pieces, nothing too much. It looks like a Canadian style dial to me with the 24 hour feature. I like the micrometer adjustment. I assume it's lever set but can't see the lever. My eyes ain't what they used to be.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Appreciate your noticing this lever set Gruen designed to meet U.S. and Canadian RR standards. Non used in US beause foreign made. Advertised for sale in Canada and illustrated one was from there and i believe probably used by a railroader. Fine condition mechanically, but nickel plate on back worn through to brass. No one can tell me if actually used as designed, or if any actually were. Swiss Zenith was also approved and many were used. artb

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Appreciate your noticing this lever set Gruen designed to meet U.S. and Canadian RR standards. Non used in US beause foreign made. Advertised for sale in Canada and illustrated one was from there and i believe probably used by a railroader. Fine condition mechanically, but nickel plate on back worn through to brass. No one can tell me if actually used as designed, or if any actually were. Swiss Zenith was also approved and many were used. artb
Well of course Gruen Precision will be a high quality movement and it was guaranteed to meet the RR timing standards. Looking up Harold Clitheroe's article on CPR railroad time I don't see it on the approved list.
It sure looks like a railroad watch though; maybe CNR or other smaller roads were more liberal.
The fact that it's a fine movement in a cruddy brassed out Silverode case is a good sign that it was a working watch for someone.
Great watch to collect and use I'd say but of less interest to collectors because:
  • Not used in the US railroad systems
  • Gruen records no longer available. Hard to date.
  • Parts may be a problem, although to be fair a lot of fine American made pieces are hard to source parts for these days.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Ray, welcome back to vintage, really nice to see you in here again.
Ray - I only joined vintage as a 'newbie' this year, so I can only say 'Welcome Back' because all the guys I really respect a TON and who have helped me say 'welcome back' - like Radger, Emre, JoeUK, Tomcat and Adam - so thanks ! Scott

Sent from SDA's iPhone using Tapatalkk

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Good answers to my questions. Not a star in a RR collection, but certainly a rare and interesting Gruen example to me. Getting a little bored with the many fine movement and case varieties from Gruen. Wonder if anyone in the world can show me another designed and built 16s lever set Gruen?
I would hesitate trading it for fine condition 50th. artbissell

1 - 20 of 20 Posts