WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

now that my poljot alarm brass-base chromeplated (well- it was :roll:) case is undergoing preparation for chrome re-plating.

i was told that where ever the plating came off or have scratches - i should brush, buff and polish the place for the new plating to be plated right to the case.

and from the inside the old plating (which is good as new) can be left alone.

my question. its a brass base case chrome plated- if some areas on the case will have the original plating while sending for re-plating, would the plating on those areas will be skipped ? or plated over the original ?

or maybe it will get all wrong?

since i'm also not sure if the re-plating shop removed the old plating before re-plating the part.

any advice will be highly appreciated!

thanks!

·
Registered
770 Posts
Chrome plating is electrochemically stripped by the plating shop. Polishing costs the most money so get your plater to strip the chrome and return the case to you for polishing before replating.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Hi,

now that my poljot alarm brass-base chromeplated (well- it was :roll:) case is undergoing preparation for chrome re-plating.

i was told that where ever the plating came off or have scratches - i should brush, buff and polish the place for the new plating to be plated right to the case.

and from the inside the old plating (which is good as new) can be left alone.

my question. its a brass base case chrome plated- if some areas on the case will have the original plating while sending for re-plating, would the plating on those areas will be skipped ? or plated over the original ?

or maybe it will get all wrong?
You got it all wrong. What they were trying to tell you is that ALL the plating has to come off the outside of the case, and the case has to be buffed as smooth as you can make it. You leave plating on a case and plate over it, you end up (particularly with chrome) getting a appearance that looks like the surface of the moon. I guarantee you won't like it. The only thing to do is to take all the plating off.

My plater (don't ask me for an introduction unless you're in Japan) removes as much of the old chrome plating as possible by by reversing the plating bath, and then gets rid of the rest by sand blasting (bead blasting). Then I buff out the remaining surface from the bead blasting until it is perfectly smooth.

You'll lose some detail of the case this way and in cases where it's important that no detail be lost, I do all the plating removal by hand myself.

Removing the old plating is the difference between a good job and a bad one.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Chrome plating is electrochemically stripped by the plating shop. Polishing costs the most money so get your plater to strip the chrome and return the case to you for polishing before replating.
Unfortunately electrochemical stripping doesn't get all of it. You still have to buff some of the old plating off. At least that's been my experience having done around a dozen cases so far.

With gold I find it's not really unsightly if you don't remove the old finish. You can see where the replating has taken place if you look, but many people won't notice it.

Chrome is another story. It really stands out.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all the input!

a lot of valuable information :)

i am indeed handing-stripping the original plating as much as i can (maybe also to save some $$ as well as keeping the original shape of the case as much as possible)

i've already brushed out abut %80 of the plating on the case, only left is the plating on the inside of the case.

one problem - it is the traditional russian case back with screw down ring, so i guess the threads are plated as well - how do i remove this by hand?

seem impossible, the threads are so tiny and sharp

here's a photo of the case right now:

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts