WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there was a thread on here about different comrade's unusual solutions for their watch storage, but the site's search function is terrible and I couldn't find it

Anyways, having filled up another typical 24 compartment box and not wanting to get another one just to stack on top of the others on my dresser, I started looking at other options.

I found a bunch of these vintage Steelmaster index card file cabinets at my local thrift store, priced just above scrap steel value awhile back and I picked one up to see what I could do with it. They measure 12"x16"x6" and are interlocking and stacking capable.
SAM_1646.JPG

After building a simple grid out of what I had around the house, I found that each drawer will hold 8 watches. Please ignore my horrible carpentry skills. I'm an industrial mechanic, not a carpenter. This was merely for a test. If I do more, I will get someone that knows what they are doing with wood and a saw to help. With thinner wood, I may even be able to fit 5 watches per drawer.
SAM_1647.JPG

Just checking this out as an alternative. It won't be a problem to build a stand (give me steel and a welder and I can build you the world), and maybe strip and repaint the cabinets.

What do you think?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Good idea I bought some black felt material that was sticky one side that you could get to line when you have the partitions sorted , it was quite cheap from a craft type haberdashery shop.

Billy Super Duper

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really like it! If you repaint the drawers and line with felt it will really look great... fine work regardless though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
Looks good man. I'm not home now but I'm using a vintage wooden box my mom had laying around her house. Haven't built anything into it yet but I'll take pics when I get home tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
131 Posts
Perfect solution. If you're ocd enough you can put them in some type of order and label the drawers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts