WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Is Resale Value Important?

• Resale Value is VERY important

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Resale value is a factor but not the most important

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Resale value - I don't feel either way about it

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Resale value - It's not THAT important really is it?

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • Of total irrelevance - buy what you like and that is that

Votes: 18 32.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Indeed Jorge . . . remind me not to get into my philosophy/spending habits/method of acquiring/losses realized, etc, etc and so forth, not really worth the distraction/hassle :think:;-)
No need friend , we know who we are and the respect that we have acquired over the years , glad to see you here bro ... yeah losses make you smarter for sure
Cheers ��

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Tough Crowd here :-x
I have to admit, a big part of the 'toughness' was because of the false equivalence between business and economics. As any true economist knows, only economics degrees are worth anything :D If not for that I probably wouldn't have made any comment at all.

I have actually been following your WIS Road to 3 thread - it is always interesting to see how others make their collecting decisions, if nothing else but to better understand one's own choices.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I remember when I started this hobby, I bought whatever I like didn't care about resale at all...
...I don't have the joy that I have in the beginning to enjoy every single brand available, i just don't like to have watches on my stable that have no demand or depreciate beyond of what I can afford; not my style anymore.
Call me boring but all I own is limited to 3 brands : PP, AP and Rolex.

It seems that the richest people I know are the people that care about budget and how save every penny, but to each his own

Cheers
Sorry for the reductions, but I wanted to get to the essence of your post.
I truly appreciate your experience after all these years you collecting watches, but I can't help but ask- are you collecting what you like, or you collecting to grow the re-sale value of your investment? To me this is the major difference.
Although I am not much into watches, but some other collecting hobbies proved (with all the smartness of a collector) that the investing is much better outside of collecting. That's what wealthy ppl do :)

·
Registered
868 Posts
For me watch collecting is an invested hobby for something i love. Im glad it's not all about the money. I make my money by different means, work and investments. This is my personal rreward. Yes they are liquid and hold their value well, some more than others. Ive taken a few baths and made money which just goes back into the watch fund. Its all part of the journey.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
One key aspect few mention in relation to “value retention” is how much will have to the paid over time to maintain the watch. Keep a watch long enough and servicing costs will basically amount to a large portion of what you will pay for a watch. It may equal or even overtake the purchase price.

Is there any way around it? You don’t get your watches serviced? They sit in a safe? There’s better vehicles for investing. Wear them regularly without service servicing? One day it will catch up to you. One thing I have to say is that the aftermarket doesn’t seem to value serviced vs unserviced watches much. A freshly serviced watch can take a huge percentage off one’s true acquisition cost. Perhaps serial second hand flippers are best placed to avoid the service cost issue. It saddens me to reflect on that.

·
Registered
952 Posts
As someone who grew up not being able to eat dinner sometimes and even as an adult, not being able to afford food, I can appreciate where you're coming from.

I'm half and half on this. I don't buy for resale value, because I don't believe watches are an investment.

I've flipped watches from Original Grain, Trintec, Tsovet, Marathon, and Waldhorff. Only one saw a profit - Waldhorff - but that's another story.

My two biggest hitters - RGM and Oak & Oscar - I *KNOW* will fetch a good price, but I also know I'd have to be in dark days to consider it.

I also don't think people saying they don't buy for resale is snobby - one, because I agree with it, and two, maybe they've reached a point in their mentality where this is truly just a hobby to enjoy.

I get your perspective, believe me. Having been so poor that I couldn't eat and having been homeless, it eats at the back of your mind. You know what horrors await failure or bad financial decisions.

I've been successful and lucky enough to finally start building myself a buffer from that life, and in turn, using some common sense with finances, can buy what I like for myself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
823 Posts
I remember a very talented professional photographer who made his living by his profession once told me "if you want to enjoy photography don't make it a business". I think same approach is applicable to collecting. If one worries much about re-sale, possibly loosing money while flipping, buying to flip, etc., it takes away all the pleasures of collecting. It becomes a business then. And it is different game all together. Interesting and possibly addictive, but different.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts