WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Seiko snk809k2; how good a watch are they, REALLY?

Ok, so I've owned this watch on two separate occasions. The first time, it wore like a charm. Bought it brand new off eBay, then got curious one day and opened it up. From that day forward, it stopped being accurate.

The second occasion was from Fingerhut. Same exact model, same color, everything. I had that piece for exactly 48 hours, didn't open it, didn't shower or sleep with it. I also laid it crown up when asleep.

I've given up owning that watch, even though it wore beautifully on the wrist. I'd love to get it back. Anyone have any issues with their Seiko model SNK809K2's? Please let me know. I'd love to know what I did wrong that made both stop being accurate.

All the best, thanks

-J

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,228 Posts

That still uses the 7S26 right? It's a time proven movement, so I wouldn't expect any issues. It's not known for its sophistication or accuracy though, but that's very fair for its price and features.

·
Registered
5,696 Posts

That watch is one with a proven movement and quite loved for its reliability. I own one, and I've never had problems with it ever. All that being said, no manufacturer is perfect and duds do slip by. Doesn't happen often but it does. Perhaps you're exceptionally good at beating the odds.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts

What do you mean opened it up? A watch movement is a delicate device, and it's easy to mess up the regulation and beat rate if you shift the regulating arms, even imperceptibly.

What are your expectations in terms of accuracy? The 7S26 is a robust and reliable movement, but it is prone to variations in its rate based on power reserve and position. They tend to perform best when worn regularly, and when their mainsprings are kept fully wound.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts

My SKN809 has been through hell. I've had it apart, changed the hands, regulated it, submerged under water, dropped on title floor from 4ft. Banged into anything and everything. Use hammers, impact tools, etc. It still ticks along. Not extremely accurate or consistent in it's accuracy. May run 30 seconds to a minute fast one week (not per day) and run 20 seconds slow the next week. This watch isn't treated nicely. But I find it impressive that, for a $60 mechanical watch, it still works.

I love my SNK809. I haven't treated it well, but it's treat me well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Ace: no, I'm not him. Never owned a seiko monster. But as to my posted question; the first seiko snk I owned, it was as accurate as a quartz frim day one, til I opened it up to try and regulate it just a smidge better. After that, it ran almost 30 seconds fast on the hour, and I gave up on it. I then tried again with the fingefhut one, that ran good for 3 days before it too started running fast. I gave up on automatic watches completely til last night when I ordered another, again from fingerhut. Im hoping(like was mentioned above) that a dud slipped through and came me way. I'll find out either way in a few days. From what you're all saying here, thr 7s26 movement in that watch should be fine with normal wear. I'll update you guys in a week. Thanks for making me feel better about my purchase. Sidenote: fingerhut typically charges almost twice what anyone else charges for thid model, but I missed that watch.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts

Ace: no, I'm not him. Never owned a seiko monster. But as to my posted question; the first seiko snk I owned, it was as accurate as a quartz frim day one, til I opened it up to try and regulate it just a smidge better. After that, it ran almost 30 seconds fast on the hour, and I gave up on it. I then tried again with the fingefhut one, that ran good for 3 days before it too started running fast. I gave up on automatic watches completely til last night when I ordered another, again from fingerhut. Im hoping(like was mentioned above) that a dud slipped through and came me way. I'll find out either way in a few days. From what you're all saying here, thr 7s26 movement in that watch should be fine with normal wear. I'll update you guys in a week. Thanks for making me feel better about my purchase. Sidenote: fingerhut typically charges almost twice what anyone else charges for thid model, but I missed that watch.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
Your 7S26 was as accurate as a quartz, and you were fool enough to attempt to regulate it without a Timegrapher?! What were you thinking?

What kind of accuracy are you hoping to get out of your watch? If it's comparable to quartz accuracy, then you should stop now and not even bother with a mechanical watch unless you dramatically increase your budget.

Reactions: stratct

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I don't know what a time grapher is. But thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts

I don't know what a time grapher is. But thanks for the input.
The question remains, what kind of accuracy are you hoping for?

·
Registered
760 Posts

Tinker less, wear more. If you want to practice messing with watches get a cheap watch that you don't plan to wear all the time so that your daily wearer can be consistent. My SKX011 is super accurate.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm just hoping to get the same accuracy out the new seiko coming that I got out of the first one. If I can get that, I'll be happy. I just don't want to have to check the accuracy every 20 minutes.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts

I'm just hoping to get the same accuracy out the new seiko coming that I got out of the first one. If I can get that, I'll be happy. I just don't want to have to check the accuracy every 20 minutes.
What kind of accuracy in terms of seconds per day deviation are you hoping for? Is the question truly that difficult to comprehend?

Even a watch that is only accurate to 30 seconds per day does not require you to check its accuracy every 20 minutes. If you truly need or desire to the second accuracy, a mechanical watch is a poor choice.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts

I must say I admire his optimism.
I'm just wondering what kind of heavy handed regulation results in a watch going from quartz accuracy to an error of 30 seconds per hour.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Wow. Is everyone on this forum as rude as you, mleok? My question was simple. Yet you chose to pounce on me and all but call me out as an idiot. If anyone ELSE can tell me if the seiko snk809k2 is a good, ACCURATE watch to own, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts

Wow. Is everyone on this forum as rude as you, mleok? My question was simple. Yet you chose to pounce on me and all but call me out as an idiot. If anyone ELSE can tell me if the seiko snk809k2 is a good, ACCURATE watch to own, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
If by accurate, you mean as accurate as a quartz watch then no, I already told you that, and I doubt anyone else will tell you something different. You were given a gift from the horological gods, a 7S26 that was as accurate as quartz watch, and you bungled it horribly, I doubt that lightning will strike twice in your case.

In order for anyone to answer your question, we need to know what you mean by accurate, and you have repeatedly avoided answering that simple direct question. Most people here will say that a SNK809K2 is a good and reasonably accurate watch (particularly if it is worn regularly) but it is probably not an accurate watch compared to a quartz watch.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Like I said. I'll provide an update in a week. From what little I do know about automatic watches, they have a reputation for being relatively accurate, even if it is +- up to 15 seconds a day. My first automatic was an invicta pro diver automatic 8926 ob. I was hooked, and I was able to temporarily regulate it down to 20 seconds or so a day. So I'm just hoping this new seiko works well. We'll see. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts

Like I said. I'll provide an update in a week. From what little I do know about automatic watches, they have a reputation for being relatively accurate, even if it is +- up to 15 seconds a day. My first automatic was an invicta pro diver automatic 8926 ob. I was hooked, and I was able to temporarily regulate it down to 20 seconds or so a day. So I'm just hoping this new seiko works well. We'll see.
If you want it to be accurate to +/- 15 sec/day and you have fairly regular wearing patterns, then you should be able to regulate a 7S26 movement to within that range with patience. This means nudging that regulator arm without apparently moving it. If you can see it move, you probably moved it too much. You can stack the odds in your favor by actively exploiting positional variance (placing your watch in specific orientations overnight) depending on whether it is going too fast or slow.

A Timegrapher is simply a machine which measures the accuracy of your watch based on measuring the ticking sound that it makes. It greatly speeds up the process of regulating a watch, since you can get immediate feedback on how much the rate has changed by you moving the regulating arm. Otherwise, you have to wait for quite a long while to estimate how much your nudge has changed the rate.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.