WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RE: Thoughts? SRP011k indicies off.

Summary: Have a good SRP011, but it "bugs" me due to an alignment issue with the indexes and the chapter ring. Question: would you flip it, repair it (with original dial/ring) or mod it (new dial/dial+hands+ring)?

Details:
So, I picked up a used SRP011 a short while ago. Mostly because at the time I "wanted" to get something quick, the price was right, and I had an interest in the newer 4R15/6 movements. It was my "present" to myself for a long 8 weeks at sea.

The watch ended up being more comfortable than I'd expected, even though it was also larger than I'd originally thought. (I was guessing it was near an alpinist in case size. Oops.) I don't regret the purchase. It's a solid piece of work and will keep a place in my watch box.

The *only* thing really keeping me from truly enjoying the watch is a misalignment in the indicies. (And lack of lume, but that's just me and was expected in a "dressier" watch.) Particularly noticeable at 6'o, is a 30 second gap between the applied marker and ring. The gap isn't consistent. Midnight is aligned, but none of the other markers are quite right. (6 is the worst.)

Does anyone thing it's worth trying to "solve" the problem by getting a new dial? I do think perhaps I'd be happier with something with a bit more Lume and less "dressy" indexes.

I'm more than willing to put up a bit over $100 for parts and work, but don't know where to begin. Any one have details on the compatibility of dial's? My preference would be "dress diver grade", strong lume, clean, easy to see.

I guess the other option would be to leave it alone and put that into a SKX007 case and bracelet. (Tried that before and didn't put enough effort into finding the right bracelet for the case.) Or, I could add this $100 to my budget for a new watch in the next few months. (Currently around $300, but looking between a Bernhardt, Sumo, an Alpinist and almost everything in between.) If I put any funds into this SRP011, I'll most likely end up with a black Orient Mako.

Help a dithering guy out with his WIS decision?

·
Banned
2,084 Posts
Hi fshalor, the issue with the indices & chapter ring hash-marks

can be fixed if thats the misalignment your talking about in either watch.

First of all, I enjoyed reading about the secondary purchase, sounds like a very solid and well made watch. :)

To correct the misalignment issue?
You can do it yourself buddy!

*You have to remove the caseback-
*then you need to remove the crown/stem from the case-
*then you need to remove the movement out of the case-
*then you can use your pinky finger and reach up into the case from underneith and move the chapter ring counterclockwise or clockwise to adjust the ticks.

I know it sounds hard, but once you've done it a few times it's not too bad at all to fix an alignment issue DYI.

Cheers, :-!
Jim

Summary: Have a good SRP011, but it "bugs" me due to an alignment issue with the indexes and the chapter ring. Question: would you flip it, repair it (with original dial/ring) or mod it (new dial/dial+hands+ring)?

Details:
So, I picked up a used SRP011 a short while ago. Mostly because at the time I "wanted" to get something quick, the price was right, and I had an interest in the newer 4R15/6 movements. It was my "present" to myself for a long 8 weeks at sea.

The watch ended up being more comfortable than I'd expected, even though it was also larger than I'd originally thought. (I was guessing it was near an alpinist in case size. Oops.) I don't regret the purchase. It's a solid piece of work and will keep a place in my watch box.

The *only* thing really keeping me from truly enjoying the watch is a misalignment in the indicies. (And lack of lume, but that's just me and was expected in a "dressier" watch.) Particularly noticeable at 6'o, is a 30 second gap between the applied marker and ring. The gap isn't consistent. Midnight is aligned, but none of the other markers are quite right. (6 is the worst.)

Does anyone thing it's worth trying to "solve" the problem by getting a new dial? I do think perhaps I'd be happier with something with a bit more Lume and less "dressy" indexes.

I'm more than willing to put up a bit over $100 for parts and work, but don't know where to begin. Any one have details on the compatibility of dial's? My preference would be "dress diver grade", strong lume, clean, easy to see.

I guess the other option would be to leave it alone and put that into a SKX007 case and bracelet. (Tried that before and didn't put enough effort into finding the right bracelet for the case.) Or, I could add this $100 to my budget for a new watch in the next few months. (Currently around $300, but looking between a Bernhardt, Sumo, an Alpinist and almost everything in between.) If I put any funds into this SRP011, I'll most likely end up with a black Orient Mako.

Help a dithering guy out with his WIS decision?

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Re: Hi fshalor, the issue with the indices & chapter ring hash-marks

Yeah once you get the hang of it, you can remove the movement (the movement, dial, and hands stay ATTACHED) in like a minute. Just take your time when you do it the first time and stay relaxed. Easy as pie.. just get yourself a movement pad, caseback opener, and tweezers maybe (i use those to move the chapter ring, plus they're handy as hell to have). No real need to spend 100+ bucks on a swiss made caseback opener, asian cheapies work ok.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts