WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never purchased a higher end watch before. I’ve been looking around for about a year and a half and have pretty much locked in on getting a Seamaster Planet Ocean, Steel on steel, Ref. 2201.50.00. From everything I can see it looks like a fantastic watch. I’m looking for something that looks great but can also take water/ shock etc. I keep reading in the forums about a forum AD and would like to find them. I’m pretty hesitant to walk into some of the mall jewelry stores here in Texas and deal for a watch with them. I’m also a 3+ hour drive from any of them anyway. Could someone please let me know of a good AD or the forum preferred AD. I’d like to order the watch for shipping rather than walk in and pay high retail if possible. If there is a trusted AD I would like to go with them. I don’t want to end up with a returned or fake watch but I also don’t want to pay a walk-in premium at a mall store. Thanks for any help and tips.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I’ve never purchased a higher end watch before. I’ve been looking around for about a year and a half and have pretty much locked in on getting a Seamaster Planet Ocean, Steel on steel, Ref. 2201.50.00. From everything I can see it looks like a fantastic watch. I’m looking for something that looks great but can also take water/ shock etc. I keep reading in the forums about a forum AD and would like to find them. I’m pretty hesitant to walk into some of the mall jewelry stores here in Texas and deal for a watch with them. I’m also a 3+ hour drive from any of them anyway. Could someone please let me know of a good AD or the forum preferred AD. I’d like to order the watch for shipping rather than walk in and pay high retail if possible. If there is a trusted AD I would like to go with them. I don’t want to end up with a returned or fake watch but I also don’t want to pay a walk-in premium at a mall store. Thanks for any help and tips.
You would be surprised at how willing a mall AD can be as it comes to discounts...Most mall stores in my area will give you up to 25% if you talk with them a bit...twice I've been offered 20% just by asking them to take the watch out of the case so I can take a look...The lowest I've been offered is 15% from these types of stores...In these tough times I guarantee they will be more than willing to reduce the price a fair amount.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
One word of warning. Although you have made up your mind, try one on first just in case it doesn't look / feel right (though I'm sure it will). Then you can go down the AD / FAD route.

There is a down side to trying one on at an AD. You will get to try on others too and then you'll be wanting more than one....:-d

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I made the trip today and tried on the 42 mm PO at the Dallas AD. I was getting concerned that even the 42 mm would still be too large after reading forums etc. It was not, it fit great on my average size wrist (<7-1/4"). I went in, tried on the watch, looked it over a little, got a quote and left. They had a standard markdown and I didn't try to bargain because I wasn't planning to buy on-the-spot regardless of deal. I'm going to try the FAD etc. on Monday and see what turns up there. The evolution of this watch buying is interesting. I started looking as a casual interest, just internet surfing fodder. Now I'm about to buy one. How did that happen? I'd better not start taking a casual interest in sports cars or aircraft or anything if this is what happens. Thanks for all the help from the forum. I'll upload pics when I get the watch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts