WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I acquired this beauty a few weeks ago, finally got around to take some photos of it...

A little history on this model, from what I've gathered...

This was released about 12 years ago, in 2000. It was a Japan only release and I believe could only be purchased if you were "invited" to do so, they were also quite limited. You couldn't just walk in to your local watch store and purchase this particular Frog. What seems to be apparent is that this is one of the most limited and rare Frogman editions ever made (with the exception to the Mastermind Frog and Takashi Murukami -- although the prices on those are so ridiculous it's almost a moot point).

I luckily obtained this watch in what I would consider 99% condition, in original box, with tags and manual. It also came with a spare bezel and strap in case I ever damage the original parts. Price was not cheap, but I'd consider it more than fair for this model in this condition. How someone held on to this watch for over 12 years and kept it in this great of condition blows my mind, I'm truly fortunate to find this model in this great of condition!

Some of the things that really stand out to me about this watch, obviously is the stealthy, military style design of it. The matte black resin with gloss black lettering and black DLC coated bezel screws just look sick. The pink LCD is very unique and gives it a very menacing appearance. The watch is made out of Titanium and has a good weight to it, the back screwback plate is raw titanium with traditional Frogman etchings, for such a stealthy watch however, I would almost have liked to see it in a black oxide type finish or black DLC coating (now i'm just nitpicking). Another interesting this about this watch that I was unaware of is that the crystal is actually Sapphire, not plastic. I actually never knew there were any G-Shocks that had a Sapphire crystal...pretty cool!

Where we are used to seeing "Tough Solar" on the band, this model sports an "Electro Luminescense" text, which honestly just looks pretty cool and is somewhat refreshing than all the current models that just say "Tough Solar". I'd have to say, in looking at nearly every Frog available (or once available), there probably isn't a more desirable version than the Real Black -- I'm extremely happy I was able to obtain one, and hell -- i'm going to wear it, I have no plans to keep this in the box and let it collect dust!

The final, model specific feature of the Real Black is the EL backlight. This is the only Frogman model I am aware of that has a positive LCD display with a reverse backlight! It is stunning looking in person and is probably one of my favorite features...it just adds to the stealthy, menacing appearance of this watch.

Enough rambling, here are some pics of this rare beauty!

And what makes this model so special in my opinion... the only reverse EL on a Frog.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
True congrats! The most beautiful IMHO ever made.
I am a proud owner too. Except, mine is a user not a safe queen. It got marks without spare parts :)

5657367507_e0895c3fdf_z.jpg

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
VERY nice, I would like one of these at some point, but the price is more than I'd like to pay. I am surprised to hear it has a sapphire crystal, as most G-shocks are made of mineral glass. Where did you find out this information? What's also interesting is that the backlight looks like that of a negative display, and yet the display itself is positive.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Those are nice. I like the red display, but not willing to spend the money for one. I do have real black resin on my most worn watch though.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Those are nice. I like the red display, but not willing to spend the money for one. I do have real black resin on my most worn watch though.

Same here, wearing Real Black resin on my Men in Smoke frog. It's strange that the Real Black resin is the most widely available of all 8200 resin, while the watch itself is so rare. Maybe Casio realized that black goes with everything, so they decided to produce more of it than any other type of 8200 resin.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Yes the 'Real Black' Froggie is a very desirable 'G'.

However, some of the post is a bit overblown. It was not an 'invitation' only issue and whilst relatively rare it is in no way comparable to the Mastermind, Murakami, Addict or NT in the rarity stakes.

It isn't DLC either and does not have a sapphire crystal.

It is one of the best looking 'G's ever and many 'G' fans would love to have one in their collection.

Mitch

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ some of the info I read on a Wiki... so it may not all be 100% accurate. Tap on the glass on the Real Black, it's 100% obvious it is not the same crystal material used on some other G's. I also own a GW-203K frogman and GWF-1000 frogman, both of those crystals have a plasticky feel.

·
Registered
7,694 Posts
I think it is popular not only it was limited but also the fact Pink display surprisingly work really well with Real Black. No painted text on titanium case, no color eyes, black screws nothing fancy to draw your attention the same time it is beautifully done that draws your attention. Always reminded me of Darth Vader....

darth_vader_sith_lords_11.jpg

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
What seems to be apparent is that this is one of the most limited and rare Frogman editions ever made (with the exception to the Mastermind Frog and Takashi Murukami -- although the prices on those are so ridiculous it's almost a moot point).
I think the Brazilian Addict Frog is also up there in terms of rarity (only 400 made - happy to say I have one of 'em b-)).

·
Registered
634 Posts
Congrats!! Gorgeous pics, too.... just landed one myself, and awaiting its arrival, to sit next to the DW-8201 in silver that Paul was so kind to let me schooker away from him ;)

Peace, love and midnight madness ~
Aurelio

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Same here, wearing Real Black resin on my Men in Smoke frog. It's strange that the Real Black resin is the most widely available of all 8200 resin, while the watch itself is so rare. Maybe Casio realized that black goes with everything, so they decided to produce more of it than any other type of 8200 resin.
My real black resin is currently on a DW8250 module, which looks a lot like a men in smoke. I have an actual men in smoke coming in from Singapore right now. Your old MIS resin will go on that for daily wear. Complete turnover of my frogs.

·
7,487 Posts
Definitely one that I would love to eventually have but don't have the funds for. That is in incredible shape, enjoy it, and wear it in good health.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Stunning Frogman! So glad it's got a sapphire crystal. Enjoy it and wear it good health!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts