WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thank you all for your useful and entertaining discussions I've been lurking around enjoying for a few months now. I am rapidly approaching my first fine watch purchase and my plight has brought me here to the Omega forum. I have appreciated horology my whole life but never until now had the resources to participate in your world. When my wife, who had a baby four months ago, followed one week later by a glossed-over birthday and now a giftless holiday announced she wanted a nice watch to mark the event(s) as combined push, b-day and $-mas present I started looking around. She said she liked a friend's Tag, but I soon pulled the rug out from that idea. She wants a daily wear, sporty but capable of dressing up, and has more or less settled to either AT 28mm, or the smallest Railmaster with a metal bracelet. She has a slim wrist with long fingers, so could pull off a larger face, esp since that makes available the automatic movement (AT only comes quartz in that size, I believe). Larger watches are a fad now with women, will this look hold up over time, or at least until our 25th anniversary brings her next Omega? Do you guys (or any ladies out there) have experience with ladies' satisfaction with either of these watches?
We live in NYC and went to the Omega boutique last week so she could try them on. I also wanted to bring in a ca. 1940s omega watch (poss railmaster, unmarked) that was sitting in a drawer--my great grandpa worked for the railroad and I have a bunch of non-running watches, Studebaker pocket watch, etc. When I get the results from them about restoring it, I'll post separately to seek your advice on that;-).
She likes the AT a lot, but just before we were going to try on the Railmaster I mentioned, the new one with the metal bracelet in the smallest case size, lo and behold the real James Bond, Daniel Craig, slides up next to us at the counter and demands to have it, the last one in-store. He is shorter than I thought (aren't all movie-stars) and was tweaked out a bit...but he knew what he wanted. He comes in there all the time, said the salesperson, I guess I would too if I could just get my girl-du-jour a $4k watch. He was with a girl who he had try on the watch for him, but said it was for another girl. I wish my wife could have at least tried it on, but we have to wait til this week when they get another one. Well, that added to the experience, but it didn't make our decision any easier. While we were there I thought I might as well try something on, too, and my God, now her gift has turned into a very expensive proposition because now I *have* to get a SMPO, black with orange numbers. I hadn't really considered it before, I never buy myself anything, but in doing research for her on the boards and seeing it in person makes it inevitable. Question for you with experience: I have a 7.5" wrist--do I go for the 42 or 45mm?
Now it comes down to the money. I have a stack of hard cash for the watches, and the fact that I'm buying two at once should be attractive to somebody... But the salesperson said they do not offer discounts at this store, and discourage grey market purchases for all the reasons that will scare me into paying MSRP. In my city, they don't even let Tourneau sell Omegas. However, I have read reviews of grey market dealers who have hundreds of positive reviews, good exchange policy on defective watches, their own 3-year warranty and definitely sell authentic watches. I have read on here that the forum has a Favorite Authorized Dealer, can someone steer me this way? Or relate their own grey market success- or horror-story? Would like the factory warranty, but can't pass up that $1000+ price spread, plus the at least $500 in sales tax.
One last tip for you guys, I spoke to the store manager and he said that this week there would be about a dozen SMP 2254.50 in the store--jump on it!
Thanks again for everything! All advice greatly appreciated, and I'll post all the pics once the two new additions land, including the requisite "does this look too big on my (baby's) wrist" gag shot. :thanks

·
Registered
6,759 Posts
Re: *Real* Bond sighting, Dual Omega purchase-advice needed, 2254.50 tip,Grey Mrkt vs AD,

Go 45mm with your wrist size. The PO wears about 2mm smaller than it would appear on paper.
I have a wrist size of 7" and the 45mm is exactly what/how i wanted it to fit like. PM sent about dealer.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Re: *Real* Bond sighting, Dual Omega purchase-advice needed, 2254.50 tip,Grey Mrkt vs AD,

Go 45mm with your wrist size. The PO wears about 2mm smaller than it would appear on paper.

Same here |>.

Great story as well. Good luck with your purchases.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts

The 45.5 is only 1mm taller (lug tip to lug tip) than the 42mm.

Your wrist should be able to handle the XL PO.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
5,016 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Certainly an interesting siting. I don't think my wife would have cared about the watch anymore if he stopped by while we were shopping. Sounds like you already have the FAD info. Happy hunting!

·
Registered
1,114 Posts

The 45.5 is only 1mm taller (lug tip to lug tip) than the 42mm.

Your wrist should be able to handle the XL PO.

Fr. John†
That's one very useful dimension Fr. John - Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks, all, for your responses. I will definitely be talking to the FAD after my wife decides what she ultimately wants. Maybe we'll go back to the store, see if she can rub elbows again... Regarding her choice, is there perhaps an alternative Omega model or even another maker that she should consider? She wants something with a matte silver band, black face, sporty but classic and something she could wear with anything. Again, currently deciding between old model [black face] SM AT and the the midsize Railmaster. Do you think the Railmaster, with its larger size, would look good on a lady? (Apparently Daniel Craig did, but my wife isn't sure.) We are both novices, but attracted to the automatic movements.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

well if it weren't the omega forum, i'd tell you to look at the IWC Marks for the wife. and if the FAD weren't listening in, i'd tell you to buy the PO used. they pop up here pretty often. buy the seller and you shouldn't have any issues... and yeah, thanks fr. john. 1mm? who knew? i'm definitely getting the 45.

·
Registered
220 Posts

with your wrist size, definitely go for the 45mm. Why don't you go back to the boutique and try on both sizes and see which one you like better. If you want to buy them new, FAD is definitely the way to go. That way, you'll get the discount plus the omega warranty.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Hey Can someone PM me the FAD details and the discount (before Tax) that I should expect to get. I am looking to get the Planet Ocean Chronograph XL (45mm) with Orange bezel and SS bracelet

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
56 Posts

Seconding the FAD info request, if anyone could PM me the info. I"m itching to put a 42mm PO on my wrist....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts