WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Real or Fake Omega

10K views 92 replies 40 participants last post by  Bree66 
#1 ·
I think this one is a Frankenstein, but I could be wrong I believe the early constellations were 17J bumper watches, the 1st rotors were I believe 19J then they went to 24. Looks like a rotor on this one when it should have been a bumper so I think the movements off. Also when I look at the dial something seems off the seconds width seems inconsistent at the date, maybe a refinish dial? Its 37mm, at $299 dont know if it is worth it as a franenstein.
Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Natural material
Watch Auto part Analog watch Clock Circle
Head Automotive lighting Circle Font Metal

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Where are finding these watches? And why are you having us vet them for you?
WUS is a watch discussion forum, not your own personal vetting forum.

#3 ·
I did see other users ask simiar questions, In this case its not just a vetting forum its a discussion of a watch. I did not simply list a watch and ask a question I added content and my observations I think this is also a learning forum as well as discussions on warches. I notice you are a premium member with a lot of posts, your tone is very aggressive and literraly attacking a newbie, does not reflect well on you

#4 · (Edited)
I did see other users ask simiar questions, In this case its not just a vetting forum its a discussion of a watch. I did not simply list a watch and ask a question I added content and my observations I think this is also a learning forum as well as discussions on warches. I notice you are a premium member with a lot of posts, your tone is very aggressive and literraly attacking a newbie, does not reflect well on you
You signed up just a few hours ago and your first two threads were asking us to vet two watches for you. As for my tone being "very aggressive", etc, etc, and etc. — give me a break.

#5 ·
Thanks for your contribution, please move on, I have been collecting for years, love watches just like anyone else on the forum, and want to know more about them. The other contributors did not have your comments and gave great information. Bullying stopped a long time ago pal, its not what you said its how you said it , with 17,000 posts I expected better.

#12 ·
So you come in few hrs ago and feel entitled to call established members “very aggressive” in their tone because they dare to say something you don’t like. Two options bud: 1. grow thicker skin and stick around. 2. you’re free to go back to the peaceful place you came from.
As to the watch, I personally stay away from cheap watches that I have my doubts about. You know the saying: if it looks too good to be true…

#13 ·
Try posting in the Omega forum
There may be more knowledgeable members there, though no one is interested in valuation. Maybe consider dropping the comment about value? After all, as a collector you are the only person who has to be pleased with the purchase.

#21 ·
Thanks
Msiekierski, I'll grow a thinker skin, just will not let the trolls win out , getiing 1000's of postings for one liners does not curt it in my book. If I post 50 a day thats 17K in a year , lets look at the number of postings in a years time
I personally do not care about number of posts, but personally if I come into a new group, I try to feel out the room and dynamics, not insist that all play by MY rules the second I walked in.
Personally hope you stay and contribute, it’s a fun place. Like everywhere else, we could all use some more humor and leeway. The world has gotten super sensitive.
To put the watch question in context for you. We get a nauseating amount of folks that join an hr ago asking “is my watch real?” 99% of time it’s a blatant fake that you know they would answer their own question if they just googled it. Gets old. Your watch is not in that category 🙂

#20 ·
It's a pretty regular thing around here from pretty much the same, usual number of cranks...although I haven't seen that same level of nastiness from NC_Hager before...maybe he is having a bad morning...usually a good guy...
Thanks, good point ! I've been collecting for over 20 years, just have not posted on this forum. Have unique collection of original mesh NOS Accutron 1960s bands (Not trying to sell anything) just mentioning due to a love for Accutrons. Some of my favorite brands, Omega, Accutron, and Bucherer (Not Carl Bucherer!) and Art deco watches. Cant believe how well a tank watch from the 1930s can run!!

#32 ·
Lot's of people bickering in the thread and not providing any relevant information to the OP's question.

The watch is an absolute mess. Dial has been clearly refinished. In regards to the movement, lots of replacements parts. I can't see what the caliber is (rotor is blocking the text), but you can see on one of the bridges it says adjusted in two positions. Constellations (which were chronometers) were adjusted in 5 positions; so immediately more red flags. The caseback has the reference number 167.005 which is a constellation reference, but the correct reference looks nothing like the watch in question. If it was a 167.005 it would have a pie pan dial, dogleg lugs, etc. (just look it up on Google). Overall the case and dial of the watch in the picture look more like they belong to a Omega Genève model. For $299 I would look elsewhere.

#34 ·
Lot's of people bickering in the thread and not providing any relevant information to the OP's question.

The watch is an absolute mess. Dial has been clearly refinished. In regards to the movement, lots of replacements parts. I can't see what the caliber is (rotor is blocking the text), but you can see on one of the bridge it says adjusted in two positions. Constellations (which were chronometers) were adjusted in 5 positions; so immediately more red flags. The caseback has the reference number 167.005 which is a constellation reference, but the correct reference looks nothing like the watch in question. If it was a 167.005 it would have a pie pan dial, dogleg lugs, etc. (just look it up on Google). Overall the case and dial of the watch in the picture look more like they belong to a Omega Genève model. For $299 I would look elsewhere.
Thanks so much Lehippi, will run through your comments and add the learnings, did not know about the 5 position adjustment,

#38 ·
Excited about the Deco watches! Honestly, I think you'll have more "eyes" (and possibly more comments, good and bad) in the Public Forum. But for those who have a passion for the style, perhaps the Vintage Forum is a better place to share the Deco pieces?
Lately (like, in the last couple months) I have rekindled my interest in the rectangular watches of the 30's to 50's. I'm having a couple of my grandfather's watches (a Gruen and a Bulova) restored. They are priceless to me, but as gold-filled watches they don't have much value. I started out collecting this type of watch in the late 80's because I saw them frequently at garage sales and flea markets then. I am particularly fond of Hamilton, though I look out for good deals on Bulova, Gruen, Longines, Lord Elgin, etc.
BTW, if your well-executed refinished dial is an old Hamilton, I just learned why many refinished Hamilton dials look so good, and don't seem to be a factor in terms of desirability (ask if interested, as your refinished dial might be from another brand).

#47 ·
I don’t think it’s fake but it’s definitely a frankenwatch. Pretty sure the case, dial and crown all came from different watches. Maybe they’re service parts? For $300 it’s a little steep but there’s nothing intrinsically wrong with it that I can see other than the obvious mishmash of parts. They just aren’t worth much. Be sure to consider the amazing modern watches you can get for $300 of all different styles and movements.

There’s no issue with new guys posting pics or authentication threads. Feel free and welcome to the forum. You’ll find it’s quite impossible for some people to scroll passed a thread though so consequently they post a lot but say little.

#52 ·
Well said. I will be posting another Omega, one I have happily bought because I like it, and I will explain why I like it, in my opinion I dont have a problem with owning a Frankenstein once I know up front what it is, saving a quality movement, dial, crown and case from the trash counts for something with me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.