WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if this was a genuine SKX013 watch.

Thanks for replying.
tr

·
Registered
230 Posts
L̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ ̶o̶k̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶m̶e̶. Are you looking to buy this watch?

EDIT: poster below is correct. The bracelet should not have folded edge links and the bezel insert does appear too shiny, potentially modded.

·
Premium Member
2,813 Posts
Yes, I am thinking of buying it. He serviced the watch recently.
Looks real, but these watches are not typically serviced as the cost is higher to service than to just get a new movement. So it sounds fishy that there would be a service on this watch. Maybe a new gasket and check for water tightness, or maybe a movement replacement, but a service?

I'd ask what was wrong with it where it needed a service and what was done during the service. You're looking for replies that seem truthful.

·
Registered
230 Posts
‘I hope you are getting a really good deal on it because at current market prices, SKXs are just no longer a value proposition.

Also, what does he mean by”service”? It’s far more economical to open the watch, chuck the 7s26 movement in the bin and drop in a new one than it is to actually service them properly.

As someone mentioned they are not popular with counterfeiters but the much bigger thing to be mindful of is modding by previous owners. This watch appears to be non-original.

I’m not trying to put you off, just things to be careful with. At current prices I would not buy an SKX (hence my warning that you should make sure you are getting a steal).

·
Registered
230 Posts
If you just have to have an SKX and/or don’t like the mini turtle, I would seriously consider Islander Watches by Marc from Long Island Watches. Do research, check YouTube- they have very positive reviews.

This is basically an SKX013 with a heap of upgrades. The case shape and dimensions are so precise that it is completely parts compatible with SKX parts but you get the following over that SKX:

Ceramic bezel insert vs aluminium insert
fully lumed insert vs partial lume
Sapphire crystal with AR (anti-reflective coating) vs mineral crystal with no AR
Seiko NH3x movement (hacking and hand winding vs 7s26 (no hacking, no hand winding)
Drilled lug holes
Applied indices on dial vs painted
bracelet with solid end links, all solid links vs hollow endlinks, stamped clasp.
‘New with warranty vs used.
$299. Vs whatever you are paying.

If you added up these upgrades as seperate purchases you probably wouldn’t be far off the total watch cost - it is a bargain.

I would get this over the SKX. Heck, even if I had to have a watch that said Seiko on it, I’d still get this and then just straight drop in an SKX dial, because this is like an SKX with all the mods people usually do. Plus you get the care and support of a micro brand owned by a passionate watch lover. Marc has basically built the SKX successor/update that we all wanted Seiko to make, but didn’t.

The Seiko and/or SKX fanboys might try to skin me alive for This suggestion but it just makes sense :D I love Seiko but given the prices for SKXs at the moment and the fact that things like the Turtle and these exist, I can no longer suggest to anyone that they buy an SKX

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
I am not sure about the watch head but I do not believe that is the original bracelet that came with the watch. The Seiko SKX013 bracelet (44G2JZ) did not have visible folded links and instead has semi-solid or faux-solid links where the edges are smooth and polished. Also, the clasp has too many micro-adjustment holes to be the original and the fold-over clasp is the wrong shape. It could be a genuine Seiko bracelet but it is not the one that came on the SKX013. Oh wait, is that loom pip on the bezel smooth and flush with the surface of the bezel? If so, that would be an aftermarket bezel insert. I do not know what kind of price you are considering this at but there are enough red flags to make me suspicious of its origin.

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
Did older ones come on that folded link bracelet? When I got mine a couple years ago it had solid edge links.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I am not sure about the watch head but I do not believe that is the original bracelet that came with the watch. The Seiko SKX013 bracelet (44G2JZ) did not have visible folded links and instead has semi-solid or faux-solid links where the edges are smooth and polished. Also, the clasp has too many micro-adjustment holes to be the original and the fold-over clasp is the wrong shape. It could be a genuine Seiko bracelet but it is not the one that came on the SKX013. Oh wait, is that loom pip on the bezel smooth and flush with the surface of the bezel? If so, that would be an aftermarket bezel insert. I do not know what kind of price you are considering this at but there are enough red flags to make me suspicious of its origin.
‘I agree with this poster. Even if you don’t want to look at my Islander Watches suggestion and really want an SKX, this particular SKX should be avoided as it is visibly non-original. The fact the seller has mentioned that they “serviced” a 7s26 movement makes me even more nervous.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Seiko bracelet for SKX013 is 44G2JZ, which is a solid-link Jubilee bracelet.
Genuine end links should also be stamped 44G2-ZI

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk
Sorry, I think you misunderstand. I agree this bracelet 100% did not come with this watch, but it looks like a real Seiko bracelet from the 1980s or earlier, not “aftermarket”, which implies it was made by a company other than Seiko.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Sorry, I think you misunderstand. I agree this bracelet 100% did not come with this watch, but it looks like a real Seiko bracelet from the 1980s or earlier, not “aftermarket”, which implies it was made by a company other than Seiko.
Ahhh. Yeah, now I understand.

Sent from my SM-N935F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts