WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

real or fake?

• Total voters
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12,377 Posts
Could be the lighting but the redness to the eyes looks off and also possible lighting, the resin looks more plastic shiny.

But, the 100 has been one of the most popular to counterfeit recently.

Sent from Capt Kirk's Communicator

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
There is a model in this colourway, GA-100B7AER.

If it's fake it's a good one, one thing that points to it being genuine for me is the speed hand is in the correct position, fakes seem to always have it at 12 o'clock, (picture below of a fake one).

Like Wit says, there seems to be something not quite right with it, but it might be light in the photo.

Any more photos of it, especially the caseback?

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
61,592 Posts
Regular readers will know I'm not very good at spotting fakes but I decided that the plastic looks a bit "bright" so it could be a pretend one based on this (you watch, it'll turn out to be genuine)

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
The buttons/pushers on the real ones are recessed... fake ones have pushers/buttons that protrude or line up with the bezel.

The screw placement on the caseback of the fakes are also an indicator

·
Registered
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow, i thought id get a stronger response than this, thought it was an easy one for you all haha
there was a post on fb about this and it seemed to confuse some ppl, so i thought it would be a fun little game for f17. didnt want to give too many hints (actually felt embarassed to have to play dumb haha)

for those still not sure or want to learn more, here's my assessment:
- the resin was the first thing that caught my eye too, the plasticness and slight colour shift always tickles the "somethings not quite right with this picture" bone
- if the resin seems off then the bezel embossing is usually off and yep, its got a 5 pint blur to it lol
- if the embossing is off then other printing is likely to be off, minute markers and text on the face isnt as sharp or razor thin where it should be
- the other big stand out that gets missed sometimes is the lcd eyes, there should be no black lines dividing the segments (as sodamonkey mentioned, on the crappier version the painted on/stuck on analog subdial is even easier to spot)
- usually by the time you've seen the above, there should be a dust cloud silhouette of you but for those that like to break out the magnifying glass, you can also note things like the short hour markers and the chunky machining of the "grid" in the background. personally at this point i dont see the need to see the backplate or have it opened up, its clearly a turd, i dont need to count the peanuts haha

hope that helps some ppl, new and old alike |> ...or anyone still buying ga100s ;)

ps. im a bit surprised no one called me out for "you should know better" haha after all these years i thought you guys would know me better haha :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts