WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,

Quick question regarding experiences of list waiting times,

I have recently had a less than pleasurable experience with one particular AD and as such have pulled my name from their particular wait list.

Following on from that, I aim to buy a new Sub to commemorate my 30th birthday, now I’ve registered my interest with a few AD’s locally (England) but was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with lists recently and roughly how long you waited for what seems to be a nigh on impossible buy.

Thanks in advance !

Luke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Here we go again! Grey market trusted seller and done, or go to ADs in person, find a salesman you hit it off great with, and buy something else, pay a deposit, or both.

When you pulled your name off the first ADs list, you probably didn't realize that list only existed in your head, and they were laughing when you asked them to take you off.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
If you throw a fit because an AD didn’t sell you a watch, but instead sold it to a “premium client” like you mentioned in your other thread, then your wait will most likely be longer. Try DavidSW. Good prices and you won’t be overlooked

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It appears I’ve asked something which is the Bain of the board,

I’m aware lists ‘don’t exist’ and nobody is numbered etc, I’m simply asking if there is anyone who has any relative experience of recent purchases and how long they have had to wait.

Also, I whole heartedly hope they were laughing at my request to be taken off their “list” because regardless of what they think of me, an associate of mine currently seeking an engagement ring circa 4-6k has already implied he most certainly won’t be shopping there.

My other half has pulled 2 purchases from them and my brother, who is also seeking to buy a watch in the high / mid range has dropped them as a potential supplier.

That’s £18k + the submariner I was hoping for not going into their till and long may it continue.

**redacted because sometimes what I write and what I mean are worlds apart**

·
Registered
659 Posts
Forget the AD wait list non sense ‘n brown nosing and go grey.

For perhaps 10% over MSRP, you can have your Sub tomorrow.
Well said. I certainly don't see the appeal of putting my name on a list to pay retail and state taxes.

There is a high sheen allure of high society and luxury when buying from an AD, but it's not worthy paying an extra $1000 for. Not to me at least.

·
Registered
29,372 Posts

I’m aware lists ‘don’t exist’ and nobody is numbered etc, I’m simply asking if there is anyone who has any relative experience of recent purchases and how long they have had to wait.

Also, I whole heartedly hope they were laughing at my request to be taken off their “list” because regardless of what they think of me, an associate of mine currently seeking an engagement ring circa 4-6k has already implied he most certainly won’t be shopping there.

My other half has pulled 2 purchases from them and my brother, who is also seeking to buy a watch in the high / mid range has dropped them as a potential supplier.

That’s £18k + the submariner I was hoping for not going into their till and long may it continue.

I also happen to work in an environment where Rolex is fairly prevalent and the typical wage is comfortably within the several Rolex ownership range, of the people at work I have discussed what occurred with, they all pretty much agree that it wasn’t a very “professional” thing to do and that they would second guess shopping there if that’s the way their customer base is treated.

You know I was actually going to write something helpful about my experiences with waitlists (which just so happens to contradict the information above) but since you want to come across as so arrogant, you're on your own. The first couple of lines didn't help your cause but it's your comments in bold which make you sound like a complete and utter bell-end.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well said. I certainly don't see the appeal of putting my name on a list to pay retail and state taxes.

There is a high sheen allure of high society and luxury when buying from an AD, but it's not worthy paying an extra $1000 for. Not to me at least.
I’m in the UK which is fortunately one of the cheaper places to buy new I believe,

£6550 ($8420) is MSRP on a date sub presently that includes taxes, vat etc.

I viewed a 2017 example with box and papers yesterday at £7950 ( $10220 ) so the difference New vs used is quite a large one unfortunately.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You know I was actually going to write something helpful about my experiences with waitlists (which just so happens to contradict the information above) but since you want to come across as so arrogant, you're on your own. The first couple of lines didn't help your cause but it's your comments in bold which make you sound like a complete and utter bell-end.
Gunnar, I sincerely apologise if I came across like a t0sser, I’m genuinely looking for a little bit of help / guidance.

I purchased a GMT back in 2016/17 and literally walked into an AD, paid my way and walked out with the watch.

Since then, I’ve not bought a Rolex and the interactions I’ve had since looking to purchase another thus far have always ended with someone complete ***t ....

So if you have anything that would be of help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Alongside the above, having now read back, it does read like I’m being a smug pr.ck so I’m going to amend it.

Again, apologies.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts

**redacted because sometimes what I write and what I mean are worlds apart**

And that $18k plus a Sub isn’t what a premium customer spends on 1 watch, so I’m sure they won’t miss it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also UK based. I put my name on a list at the local AD for a sub date in April 2018 and was told 8-12months. Got a call just before Christmas. I have no relationship with this dealer other than getting a watch serviced.

Didn’t call back in or ring up in the mean time. Just sat and waited. I did however have to give my address when I put my name on the list to prove I was local.

My AD is Fraser Hart in a small northern city, and despite what is said above about lists not being real I never got this impression and while a few may have gone out to more important customers I was always confident I would get the call eventually.

Cheers

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also UK based. I put my name on a list at the local AD for a sub date in April 2018 and was told 8-12months. Got a call just before Christmas. I have no relationship with this dealer other than getting a watch serviced.

Didn’t call back in or ring up in the mean time. Just sat and waited. I did however have to give my address when I put my name on the list to prove I was local.

My AD is Fraser Hart in a small northern city, and despite what is said above about lists not being real I never got this impression and while a few may have gone out to more important customers I was always confident I would get the call eventually.

Cheers

Cheers EB,

Appreciate some clarity from someone who’s been through similar !

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Based upon the feedback when I last walked into an AD, each location (3 in total) was seeing about 1 submariner every 4 - 6 weeks.
This seems pretty consistent with what I’ve heard from colleagues,

Having spoken to a handful of folks who’ve purchased from ADs in the past 18 months or so they’ve suggested 3 or 4 submariners every quarter(ish) per location.

Although there can be A LOT of people on the call list for each one so it can take a while to receive the call.

I guess it’s a waiting game from here on out.

·
Premium Member
1,832 Posts
Track down “Peter,” buy him drinks, take him to dinner, become best friends, and ask him to be your watch-proxy, and walk into the AD and buy their tucked-away BLRO, Hulk, or Blue Sky Dweller....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Track down “Peter,” buy him drinks, take him to dinner, become best friends, and ask him to be your watch-proxy, and walk into the AD and buy their tucked-away BLRO, Hulk, or Blue Sky Dweller....
Are you Peter ?

Please be Peter.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Sub no date, 4 to 12 weeks.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts