WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So professional steel has been hard to get for the past couple years.

The common narrative explains it was Rolex purposely slowing production - those sly devils!

Or, the Red Chinese awash with cash from exports were buying up all the Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, et al. Because I bought a Chinese made IPhone, I can’t get a Batman at MSRP.

But look at all these threads here and at other forums: “double incoming,” “I’ve bought four Rolexes in the past year,” and “every man must have a diver/GMT/Explorer/vintage.”

The shortage is our own faults; we’ve all become collectors and/or flippers!

Twenty years ago - until just a couple years ago, a guy bought a new watch every five, ten, or twenty years. Almost everyone was a one watch fellow. Our old watches were passed down to deserving teens or archived in a sock drawer. Rich guys would get their Daydate or Gold Sub and be done with it. Middle class fellows would get their steel Sub or Datejust and wear it daily for decades. Today, everyone is dealing with keeping watches in rotation, safety deposit boxes, and rubbing out swirl marks with Cape Cod cloths.

Boys, even Datejusts are drying up.

How can there be a shortage when most of us have watch boxes full of those beautiful Swiss honeys?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts

The common narrative explains it was Rolex purposely slowing production - those sly devils!

Or, the Red Chinese awash with cash from exports were buying up all the Subs, GMTs, Daytonas, et al. Because I bought a Chinese made IPhone, I can’t get a Batman at MSRP.

But look at all these threads here and at other forums: “double incoming,” “I’ve bought four Rolexes in the past year,” and “every man must have a diver/GMT/Explorer/vintage.”

Twenty years ago - until just a couple years ago, a guy bought a new watch every five, ten, or twenty years. Almost everyone was a one watch fellow. Our old watches were passed down to deserving teens or archived in a sock drawer. Rich guys would get their Daydate or Gold Sub and be done with it. Middle class fellows would get their steel Sub or Datejust and wear it daily for decades. Today, everyone is dealing with keeping watches in rotation, safety deposit boxes, and rubbing out swirl marks with Cape Cod cloths.

How can there be a shortage when most of us have watch boxes full of those beautiful Swiss honeys?
Is watch collecting a new phenomenon?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
546 Posts
“every man must have a diver/GMT/Explorer/vintage.”
Are you kidding man the shortage is our fault? And who said this quote? Many people here are happy with a 1 Rolex collection as long as it is the one they wear every day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts

Watch forum contributors are the minority if it comes to popular brands like Rolex and Omega etc. with haute horological it might be different but even there you see a lot of people not engaging at all in forums, but in watch collector clubs.

I still know a lot of one watch people - Rolex and other brands. However, they are also not forum frequenters....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.