Votes: 7 18.4%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently I have some argument with people who said they think they want Quartz version of current mechanical luxury watches, and think they prefer Quartz over Mechanical movements.

But I think what they call "Prefer Quartz" is just a misunderstand of another reasons that Mostly LINK to money.

And IMHO, I think if people are choosing to buy a Quartz watch, there are 4 reasons:

1/ They are not into watches

2/ That Model only come in Quartz

3/If the watches have both mechanical and quartz vêrsion. They cannot afford the mechanical or just want a cheaper same looking watch! Not because they prefer quartz over mechanical.

4/ They worry about Cost/Money Efficiency in Maintainance, service, repair, accessories... If they have so much money, they will still choose Mechanical

And If money is nothing to them, If they have so much money that they can afford anythings and don't have to care about repair cost they quite surely will choose Mechanical Version.|

That's means they do not prefer Quartz, they just want money efficiency that they can afford...

Do you guys think I'm wrong? Do you have any other opinions?

p/s: Sometimes people say the quartz is so much more accurate than Mechanical, and I ask them "Do you have mechanical watches in your collections? If 5-10spy accuracy is just so important to you, why did you buy mechanical?"

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Convenience
I get you, but in what ways?

If it is about keep the movements running, then an Automatic Watch Winder will solves it very well ! And it don't take that much time to put a watch in to a watch winder !

Again it back to reason 4 : People afraid the cost of buying more accessories, if they don't have to care about money, they will choose mechanical right away !

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Concur.

Most folks want to set and forget.

A battery change every three or four years is a necessary evil unless it is a very inexpensive watch in which case the watch rather than the battery may get replaced.
yes, And again it back to the reason 4 :

They afraid of futures service cost, if they don't have to worry about money, they will choose mechanical !

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cost, convenience, and no need for regular servicing.
yes, and as I mention in OP and above comment, all of them link to MONEY !

If they have so much money, they will not choose Quartz but Mechanical. So when they said they think Quartz is better than Mechanical, it is not true !?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Sure, keep telling these people what they actually want. Afterall you know better what other people want than those people. They say they prefer quartz... therefore they can't be right. Thy must be either ignorant or poor, or even worse... both!

You want a tough and light world clock, that changes date properly even in a leap? Easy with the Ti solar quartz casio s100. You want a digital watch? Easy with quartz. You want deadstop seconds? Easy with quartz.

Mechanical watches beat quartz in two categories, emotion and beat rate... That is untill you realize there are tuning fork and Spring drive watches. All you are left with is emotion and possibly a nice display caseback.

Why is it so difficult to accept that a person might prefer quartz over a mechanical watch.

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

·
Premium Member
40,679 Posts
I get you, but in what ways?

If it is about keep the movements running, then an Automatic Watch Winder will solves it very well ! And it don't take that much time to put a watch in to a watch winder !

Again it back to reason 4 : People afraid the cost of buying more accessories, if they don't have to care about money, they will choose mechanical right away !
I want a watch I can pick up on a weekend and know the time is right.

A winder keeps it running, but at 10 seconds a day out, that’s a couple of minutes over two weeks. Not all that convenient.

Not about money. You may think otherwise, but please don’t tell me my reasons aren’t true.

If you’re just going to argue that you’re right and I’m wrong about MY reasons, then I guess there’s no point continuing here.

·
Registered
6,097 Posts
You seem to be looking for people to agree with you, and your premise appears to be that people who buy quartz do so either because they (the person) is cheap or because quartz is cheap(er). In other words your position appears to be there is no real good reason to buy quartz and people should buy mechanical. Are we now going to decide what wine, liquor, beer, food, snacks people should be buying?

You missed a few reasons people buy quartz: They prefer quartz as they are less maintenance; more accurate; are an interesting marriage of technology(ies); have horological significance/importance; are a good representation from a particular brand. In other words, people buy quartz for reasons important to them, nobody else and have no need to justify it either.

This has all the appearance of a flame-war between quartz vs mechanical. What's your position on kinetics? Solar? Spring Drive? Is it just mechanical windy uppy or is there a problem with automatics?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure, keep telling these people what they actually want. Afterall you know better what other people want than those people. They say they prefer quartz... therefore they can't be right. Thy must be either ignorant or poor, or even worse... both!

You want a tough and light world clock, that changes date properly even in a leap? Easy with the Ti solar quartz casio s100. You want a digital watch? Easy with quartz. You want deadstop seconds? Easy with quartz.

Mechanical watches beat quartz in two categories, emotion and beat rate... That is untill you realize there are tuning fork and Spring drive watches. All you are left with is emotion and possibly a nice display caseback.

Why is it so difficult to accept that a person might prefer quartz over a mechanical watch.

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk
So please tell me any watch that have 2 versions: (quart and mechanical)

and you will choose Quartz anydays over mechanical, and some reasons? (I'm sure it willl link to the 4 above reasons I mentioned)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
yes, and as I mention in OP and above comment, all of them link to MONEY !

If they have so much money, they will not choose Quartz but Mechanical. So when they said they think Quartz is better than Mechanical, it is not true !?
Yes and no. Some people do buy a quartz watch because it's cheaper than a mechanical (or because it's the only type they know). And some do so because the quartz watch is more accurate and/or more convenient. The former is common among the general population. The latter is probably more common with those reading this forum.

I'd be willing to pay just as much for a quality high-end quartz watch as for a quality high-end mechanical watch, assuming that all else is equal. Both are interesting for different reasons.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You seem to be looking for people to agree with you, and your premise appears to be that people who buy quartz do so either because they (the person) is cheap or because quartz is cheap(er). In other words your position appears to be there is no real good reason to buy quartz and people should buy mechanical. Are we now going to decide what wine, liquor, beer, food, snacks people should be buying?

You missed a few reasons people buy quartz: They prefer quartz as they are less maintenance; more accurate; are an interesting marriage of technology(ies); have horological significance/importance; are a good representation from a particular brand. In other words, people buy quartz for reasons important to them, nobody else and have no need to justify it either.

This has all the appearance of a flame-war between quartz vs mechanical. What's your position on kinetics? Solar? Spring Drive? Is it just mechanical windy uppy or is there a problem with automatics?
as I say, if any watches have both Mechanical and Quartz version, people quite surely will choose the Mechanical One anydays if they have enough money to afford and don't worry about maintainence cost !

·
Premium Member
22,578 Posts

and you will choose Quartz anydays over mechanical, and some reasons? (I'm sure it willl link to the 4 above reasons I mentioned)
You seem to have ignored the accuracy and convenience issue. The problem with your argument is that it begs the question, which is to say that it assumes the position you are trying to assert.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes and no. Some people do buy a quartz watch because it's cheaper than a mechanical (or because it's the only type they know). And some do so because the quartz watch is more accurate and/or more convenient. The former is common among the general population. The latter is probably more common with those reading this forum.

I'd be willing to pay just as much for a quality high-end quartz watch as for a quality high-end mechanical watch, assuming that all else is equal. Both are interesting for different reasons.
I don't think so, please read my P/S in the OP

Why you still have other Mechanical Watches in your Collection if Accuracy is Really That Much Important to you?

So the accuracy reasons people are giving is just nonsense, except when they know nothing about watch or that is the only watch they have ! (reason 1)

·
Premium Member
22,578 Posts
as I say, if any watches have both Mechanical and Quartz version, people quite surely will choose the Mechanical One anydays if they have enough money to afford and don't worry about maintainence cost !
Why don’t you say that mechanical watches are better if you can afford to have a butler reset the time and wind the watch for you every day, your arguments are simply ridiculous and involve nothing more than repeatedly asserting without any justification for your point of view.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts

You're just fishing for agreement here. "My choice is the best and if you disagree you're just poor" makes one come across as an asshat.

Even automatics can get drained or fall out of spec if they get magnetized (which happens easily if you work on laptop). If I'm traveling or heading to a meeting and can't check my phone for some reason I don't want my watch to be 10 minutes fast/slow. When I travel, especially internationally I reach for a quartz. Tell me how this is related to money?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You seem to have ignored the accuracy and convenience issue. The problem with your argument is that it begs the question, which is to say that it assumes the position you are trying to assert.
I reply those issue above, please re-read !

·
Premium Member
22,578 Posts
I don't think so, please read my P/S in the OP

Why you still have other Mechanical Watches in your Collection if Accuracy is Really That Much Important to you?

So the accuracy reasons is just nonsense, except when they know nothing about watch or that is the only watch they have ! (reason 1)
Because people who value accuracy don’t generally buy mechanical watches, not sure how the fact that WIS owning mechanical watches for more emotional reasons provides a counterpoint to that simple observation.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.