1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

need a little advice.

Bought a solar gshock online, the watch is received with battery empty, all hands aligned to 12. And even charge on the screen was not there. It was completely blank.

Is it normal or should I return or replace the watch. It’s still on the return or replace period. Also would it effect battery as I don’t know since when the watch was discharged. Manufacturing date according to solar no is Jun 2018.
What do you all suggest?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would return it, and notify the seller that it was dead on arrival. I once bought a GW-6900 from Amazon that arrived dead. I tried for a whole day to recharge it but it did not come back.

It's possible that the watch sat too long in storage. Solar doesn't last long without light. It's best to keep them at full charge.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
I personally would return it. Not knowing how long it's been stored dead would bug me.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I bought two tough solar models dead.
One listed as needs battery, other listed as not working, for parts.
Left both in the sun for a few minutes, both up and running like a champ
Not familiar with analog solar models though

·
Premium Member
21,824 Posts
Rechargeable batteries can be damaged if left in a fully discharged state for a long time. If the watch doesn't return to full functionality after a few days of recharging in the sun, I would definitely return it for a refund.

Reactions: Dxnnis

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should I try to charge it? That’s a question. I don’t know since when it’s dead and what’s the capacity. I placed it in sun for half an hour charge came written on screen.. I think it should charge and work.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Hey,

need a little advice.

Bought a solar gshock online, the watch is received with battery empty, all hands aligned to 12. And even charge on the screen was not there. It was completely blank.

Is it normal or should I return or replace the watch. It’s still on the return or replace period. Also would it effect battery as I don’t know since when the watch was discharged. Manufacturing date according to solar no is Jun 2018.
What do you all suggest?
Is it a brand new watch?

If so I'd be tempted to return it. If you bought it used and you say the CHG is showing after a short time then I'd say keep hold of it.

Let it charge fully, although I would recommend WEEKS not days. Of course that could be too long to wait if it does need returning after all.

Choice is yours

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It’s brand new and return window is 2 days. Either I keep it or return it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
As the watch is responding to light, there's a good chance it'll be fine.
Even if the battery proves to be incapable of holding a charge, they're not too expensive or difficult to change..

·
Registered
683 Posts
Technically the battery is a capacitor, not really a battery. Fully charged, they can last 6 months in a box with no sunlight. I've had this happen with a few watches like this... such as the Eco-Drives.

My advice, put it in a window-sill that gets FULL sun during the day. Put it on the sill in the morning where you expect it to get non-direct / indirect light for most of the morning, and will then get FULL DIRECT SUNLIGHT by the afternoon, and continue to get full sunlight for at least 2 hours.

Take a look at it by the end of the day, and if it's still totally dead, return it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Technically the battery is a capacitor, not really a battery. Fully charged, they can last 6 months in a box with no sunlight. I've had this happen with a few watches like this... such as the Eco-Drives.

My advice, put it in a window-sill that gets FULL sun during the day. Put it on the sill in the morning where you expect it to get non-direct / indirect light for most of the morning, and will then get FULL DIRECT SUNLIGHT by the afternoon, and continue to get full sunlight for at least 2 hours.

Take a look at it by the end of the day, and if it's still totally dead, return it.
Wholeheartedly agree with this - good advice.

·
Registered
7,498 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I bet with some charging, that baby will fire right up and be fine. My brother revived a solar Casio that had been dead in a drawer for 15 years... with the CoolFire LED solar watch charger I sent him.

Of course, the sun will work, too... but you may be limited by location, availability of exposure to the sun, etc. This gizmo allows you to do it in the comfort of your own home... even at night. :)

PS... be careful about leaving the watch in direct sunlight outside, as it can get quite hot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey,

need a little advice.

What do you all suggest?
What they said, leave it out in sun couple days, I have had blank gshock waveceptor solars and even after half a day in sun on a safe place on my roof, it comes back, synced to atomic clock and ready to go. If after a day, maybe then return, but this may be normal consequence of new old stock...

1 - 20 of 64 Posts