WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I would just put it in the sun for a couple hours and see if it comes back to life. It may need a button press to wake it up from sleep mode. Monitor it and make sure it doesn't get too hot. Watch the L-M-H battery indicator too, it should do what it does with increased light exposure.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I had put it under a strong light for a hour. The watch started working and came back to life.
I have left to charge now.
But even if it works will it be working fine or battery capacity will diminish? As it might be discharged for long.
Again it was a brand new watch with manufacturing date around 2018.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I had put it under a strong light for a hour. The watch started working and came back to life.
But even if it works will it be working fine or battery capacity will diminish? As it might be discharged for long.
If you're able to get it to charge up to "H," it is my opinion that it will be fine. Consider that if you buy a new solar battery (CTL 1616), it has a 10 year shelf life. So, I wouldn't worry about your 2 year old new stock watch battery.

Bear in mind that it will take a LONG time get fully charged. Also remember that just getting to "H" doesn't mean it's FULLY charged. It just means it's into the "H" zone. I'd keep charging it (or wearing it) for a bit longer. I made this infographic a while back that may help visualize. I've been informed that the "M" zone is not proportional to the other zones and is actually bigger / wider. And, the watch functions just fine in the "M" zone. This is just for a broad idea of the concept:

If this will be your every day watch or worn frequently (and the watch is exposed to light most of the day), your watch will be charge up and stay charged.

I hope that helps! Charge that bad boy up enough to get it working, and enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
It should be absolutely fine after charging. I've bought older "dead" G-Shocks and they've had no issues after I got them to high.

Of course that's not guaranteed, but a new battery isn't that expensive if you do need one.

I stand by my earlier advice of charging it for weeks and not days. Yes, strong light for a short period will get it going, but it WILL need a long period to bring it to full charge.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
If you're able to get it to charge up to "H," it is my opinion that it will be fine. Consider that if you buy a new solar battery (CTL 1616), it has a 10 year shelf life. So, I wouldn't worry about your 2 year old new stock watch battery.

View attachment 15557415

Bear in mind that it will take a LONG time get fully charged. Also remember that just getting to "H" doesn't mean it's FULLY charged. It just means it's into the "H" zone. I'd keep charging it (or wearing it) for a bit longer. I made this infographic a while back that may help visualize. I've been informed that the "M" zone is not proportional to the other zones and is actually bigger / wider. And, the watch functions just fine in the "M" zone. This is just for a broad idea of the concept:

View attachment 15557410

If this will be your every day watch or worn frequently (and the watch is exposed to light most of the day), your watch will be charge up and stay charged.

I hope that helps! Charge that bad boy up enough to get it working, and enjoy it!

View attachment 15557415

View attachment 15557410

thanks for this info I have kept it on charge. It seems to have reached M. Prettty soon now from completely dead.
I am still charging it. And will charge it till H.

I checked forrest of operations. They seem to work just fine as of now.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It should be absolutely fine after charging. I've bought older "dead" G-Shocks and they've had no issues after I got them to high.

Of course that's not guaranteed, but a new battery isn't that expensive if you do need one.

I stand by my earlier advice of charging it for weeks and not days. Yes, strong light for a short period will get it going, but it WILL need a long period to bring it to full charge.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Thank you. It did work.
I am planning to use this as my everyday device. So I think charging won’t be an issue. My apprehension was on the battery capacity and watch functionality.
Watch works fine in all modes. But can’t say about battery capacity.
Reading from inputs given by you all it seems it should work fine after a full charge

·
Registered
7,752 Posts
you made the right choice to simply charge it yourself. wouldve been a waste of time sending it back, if you did, all they would do is put it under light or sun as well.

the battery will be fine, one off discharge isnt enough to kill it. just make sure it gets plenty of sun. even when it gets to H, leave it for an extra day or two.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Technically the battery is a capacitor, not really a battery.
Are you sure? Which solar g-shocks have caps?

I thought they all had lithium ion or titanate coin cells, and eco-drive used caps?

·
Registered
7,465 Posts
Are you sure? Which solar g-shocks have caps?

I thought they all had lithium ion or titanate coin cells, and eco-drive used caps?
All of my Eco-Drives use rechargeable batteries. I think early ones used capacitors.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't know if your model has a battery or capacitor, but it's been my experience that capacitors on recent g shocks don't seem to suffer from being discharged like a battery often does. After "dead" capacitors charge up, I haven't seen or heard of any noticeable problems.

Reactions: Malay Dixit

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Ok then I will keep the watch and see how it goes.. thank you everyone for all the advice.
To get through this with assurance. I knew the experience in this forum could be relied on for Gshocks.
Thank you

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,771 Posts
Should I try to charge it? That’s a question. I don’t know since when it’s dead and what’s the capacity. I placed it in sun for half an hour charge came written on screen.. I think it should charge and work.
Yes. If the dealer you bought it from has a warranty, you should be able to return it after trying to charge it for 3 days and it won't get a charge.

If the dealer has no warranty on it, return it immediately for a refund.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yes. If the dealer you bought it from has a warranty, you should be able to return it after trying to charge it for 3 days and it won't get a charge.

If the dealer has no warranty on it, return it immediately for a refund.
well it’s a new watch as they say.. the warranty is given by Casio for 2 yrs on it.

but have to return the watch by Tom. Else I have to keep it

·
Premium Member
64,834 Posts
Send it back to the seller. Do not charge it. You don’t know how long it’s stood with an empty battery.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Send it back to the seller. Do not charge it. You don’t know how long it’s stood with an empty battery.
So, if the watch was made in 2018... and the battery was depleted over 18 - 24 months in deep sleep mode (inside the box), I can't imagine there being a problem. That would mean the battery may have been empty for several months. No biggie. The shelf life of a new battery is 10 years, FWIW. I'd bet this battery will charge right up and last for many years.

Charge that bad boy up and enjoy it worry-free!

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,771 Posts
Return policies in other countries are not as lenient as in the US. There's only a very short period of time allotted for you to return something you deem defective, and unlike in the US, you can't return the item just because you don't like it or need it anymore.

@Malay Dixit I would suggest to return the item for a watch with some charge on it. I don't know about the return policies in India, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts