WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Send it back to the seller. Do not charge it. You don’t know how long it’s stood with an empty battery.
Well now m charging it, has reached 75% of the value, max value I suppose. But that’s true I don’t know how long it’s been empty. The watch otherwise works fine all mode functional. But I don’t want a watch with a defective battery. Yes I can return the watch for any reason here. But from the vendor I bought the window is 2 days. Which ends Tom. On charging from morning till now 10 in night with a strong light. Reached from empty to 75%. Till now.

So, if the watch was made in 2018... and the battery was depleted over 18 - 24 months in deep sleep mode (inside the box), I can't imagine there being a problem. That would mean the battery may have been empty for several months. No biggie. The shelf life of a new battery is 10 years, FWIW. I'd bet this battery will charge right up and last for many years.

Charge that bad boy up and enjoy it worry-free!
It is still charging I can return it tom. That would be last. As I said earlier it has charged fine from zero to 75% till now and still charging all modes work fine.

Return policies in other countries are not as lenient as in the US. There's only a very short period of time allotted for you to return something you deem defective, and unlike in the US, you can't return the item just because you don't like it or need it anymore.

@Malay Dixit I would suggest to return the item for a watch with some charge on it. I don't know about the return policies in India, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Will definitely consider it. But as I have time I am charging it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also it is worth knowing that whilst the watch has shut down and appears completely dead, the battery isn't completely flat as a protection circuit kicks in when the battery voltage drops to around 2.5 volts, this is because rechargeable lithium batteries are ruined if they go completely flat and if charged again can explode or leak. When placed back in the sun it will appear dead for many minutes simply because the protection circuitry will not turn on the watch again until the battery has significantly recovered a good charge.

There is absolutely no need to worry the battery is damaged.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Also it is worth knowing that whilst the watch has shut down and appears completely dead, the battery isn't completely flat as a protection circuit kicks in when the battery voltage drops to around 2.5 volts, this is because rechargeable lithium batteries are ruined if they go completely flat and if charged again can explode or leak. When placed back in the sun it will appear dead for many minutes simply because the protection circuitry will not turn on the watch again until the battery has significantly recovered a good charge.

There is absolutely no need to worry the battery is damaged.
Well reading that is assuring thank you @PhilL-2020

·
Registered
Seiko auto's. Monster, Turtle, 5 Sports. Steeldive auto. G Shock. Edifice. Protrek. Casio.
773 Posts
I would trust it to be fine after charging up, Casio solar watches are well made and reliable and i have a lot of faith in them. But thats me, you have to do what you're comfortable with if you personally cant trust it after seeing it dead.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I would trust it to be fine after charging up, Casio solar watches are well made and reliable and i have a lot of faith in them. But thats me, you have to do what you're comfortable with if you personally cant trust it after seeing it dead.
Actually I really never trusted it. But reading in this forum from all about dead solar watches and reviving them through solar or light and working fine does give me some encouragement in this department.
Also I had a great deal on it, if it will all be fine, might as well keep it. But if there is a problem will return it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The batteries used in these watches can become degraded if they are discharged below a certain voltage. The extent of the damage depends how low they go and how long they are in that state.

It could be totally fine but since you have a short window you cannot evaluate it. A "bad" battery can seem healthy in the short term.

Batteries are cheap so this should be factored in your decision whether to keep or return. If I get a good deal I have no problem with a discharged battery. If I pay retail, it goes back.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
On charging from morning till now 10 in night with a strong light. Reached from empty to 75%. Till now.
As I said earlier it has charged fine from zero to 75% till now and still charging all modes work fine.
Don't be discouraged by the length of time it takes to charge to "H" or a full charge. If you search threads here, you'll see plenty that have learned the charging progress of these batteries is not linear (a straight line). It takes a long time to charge fully, especially depending on the amount / intensity of the light.

I know I've told this story (and I realize it's just one story) multiple times around this forum... My brother found an old solar Casio in a drawer and figured it had been there (dead) for about 15 years. I sent him one of the CoolFire chargers. He was able to revive the watch (with the same old battery), and it's been running ever since.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
The batteries used in these watches can become degraded if they are discharged below a certain voltage. The extent of the damage depends how low they go and how long they are in that state.

It could be totally fine but since you have a short window you cannot evaluate it. A "bad" battery can seem healthy in the short term.

Batteries are cheap so this should be factored in your decision whether to keep or return. If I get a good deal I have no problem with a discharged battery. If I pay retail, it goes back.
Now the watch is charged to full..!!
but to honestly say the watch battery condition cannot be determined. But I do had a good deal on it. And yes battery can be changed easily

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
@Malay Dixit

While writing my review of the Oceanus T200 (dropping online tomorrow morning!), I was going through the manual. I found this, which confirms what I was saying earlier about the charging of the battery not being linear. It will go from dead to M fairly quickly. But, it takes longer to get from M to H.... and longer to go from H to FULL.

And, with lower intensity light sources... a LOT longer.

I did my own measurements of various light sources for my article, Solar Watch Charging: The Debate Rages!

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
My Ecodrive watches were in the dark for months. I feared they were dead, but after a week by the window they were fine

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
see this is all what i have read in various threads too. that gives me courage to probably take the leap. but just the fact the battery might be dead for a long time and damaged is getting me to think. also i dont want to open a new watch for a battery change. this was the sole fact for which i bought a solar watch.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear S3 Frontier. Casio G-Shock DW-6900SG. Casio G-Shock GW-5000. Rado Original R12408614.
1,776 Posts
I would've exchanged it for a watch with some charge left. No idea if the battery of that charged watch is still in good condition.

And just the thought of the battery of a new watch having some problems will bug me.

·
Registered
Gravitymaster GR-B100
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I am feeling it too.. although the battery is high now. And stable there.

·
Registered
16 Posts

As I mentioned above a safety circuit kicks in and disconnects the battery when the voltage goes to about 2.5 volt, this is because if a lithium battery is discharged below that or goes completely flat, it is ruined and would struggle to take any charge or work at all, and Casio would have thousands of complaints of broken watches and dead on arrival returns and/or popping batteries because they had discharged whilst in the warehouse. The battery protection circuit in the watch has simply disconnected the battery before any damaged could happen, so whilst it appears dead, the battery was never completely discharged and was safely switch to an off state.

As you say the battery is a cheap component and designed to be replaced anyway because they do wear out, so the owner has no need to worry, and if they have had a good deal on the watch, keep it and enjoy it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
As I mentioned above a safety circuit kicks in and disconnects the battery when the voltage goes to about 2.5 volt, this is because if a lithium battery is discharged below that or goes completely flat, it is ruined and would struggle to take any charge or work at all, and Casio would have thousands of complaints of broken watches and dead on arrival returns and/or popping batteries because they had discharged whilst in the warehouse. The battery protection circuit in the watch has simply disconnected the battery before any damaged could happen, so whilst it appears dead, the battery was never completely discharged and was safely switch to an off state.
The cell will experience some (slow) self-discharge even when load is removed. And the safety circuit causes some parasitic drain also.

The result is that the cell in a stored solar watch will inevitably drop below the cut-off voltage. It may take years (from full), but it will happen, and the cell will suffer damage.

This is why "reviving" a dead solar watch is hit and miss. Sometimes a success, sometimes not. It is more of a problem with NOS watches, stored for many years. But ... once you are prepared to replace the cell, no biggie.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts