WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just bought my first watch, a Vostok Amphibia. I ordered the watch from Meranom around two months ago and it arrived today. There seems to be a small scratch on the inside of the glass. Let's say I remove the caseback, take out the movement, apply polyWatch, rinse it off with water, let the inside dry, put back the movement and caseback. Will this corode / damage the inside of the watch if done carefully?

vostok.jpg

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hello! It may cause fogging if some moisture remains, but I never rinse after using poliwatch: I just wipe it with a clean cloth (like those that come with eyeglasses).

If residue remains I may insist with eyeglasses cleaning fluid (it evaporates really fast) but it’s super rare.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Sometimes it's best to source a local watchmaker and ask how much it would cost to polish and clean the scratch, I only say this as it appears you may not have the required skills to complete the repair, I'm sure it won't be too much expense.

It's always best to practice these sorts of things on practice watches so that you first get a feel for the procedure and build up skills before tackling newer watches.

Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd leave it alone, the plastic scratches so easily. I have 3 vostoks just received my 170 3 weeks ago and already have a scratch on it. I plan on ordering replacement glass eventually just to have they are inexpensive and videos make it look easy to replace.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
If it was me I’d contact meranom for a return and replacement. You didn’t pay for a scratched watch.

As for scratching it later I’ve developed a pathological aversion to keeping my wrist away from doorhandles etc.

Mind you now that I’ve said that I’m bound to mess up and scratch something...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yep i would contact supplier as you may render the watch useless if you try and fix it, you never know they may well just send you a new one???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts