WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Stowa MO While I was away on business. I returned home late Friday night wildly excited, opened the box, and was crushed.

I originally ordered in August. I ordered the only case available at that time, the polished case. After ordering, I received an e-mail from Stowa stating that a few matte-finished cases were available on a first-come, first-served basis for an extra 50 euros. I ordered one, and was told I would receive it.

For months I have been imagining a matte finish on the MO: beautiful and satin like the Archimede—only maybe even better, since this was Stowa! I bought a 22mm Sirtoli burgundy strap for it and imagined what a great combination it would be.

Unfortunately for me, when Stowa says “matte,” they mean “brushed.” I HATE A BRUSHED FINISH. It’s just a personal preference, but the two are not even remotely similar in appearance.

I e-mailed Stowa, and received a prompt, personal reply from Jörg. But, unfortunately, the gist was that he couldn’t understand why I was unhappy because at Stowa, they always mean “brushed” when they say “matte.” And besides, brushed is “better.”

Oh, well. I will either sell it or send it back. This is just a reminder to everyone that “the natural result of communication is misunderstanding.” Words have meaning, and that meaning can be different to different people. Throw different cultures and languages into the mix, and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Man, that matte-finished MO in my imagination was sweet.

·
Registered
363 Posts
What is 'matte' for you? I know brushed and bead-blasted. The Seatime ist bead-blasted and the bracelett of the Seatime is brushed. Right?
In german there is 'satiniert' and 'perlgestrahlt'. I love both, but brushed is more elegant or smart and bead-blasted ist more sporty, i think.

Bye, Klaus

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
"Matte" is a bead blasted, satin finish, like the Archimede Pilot case, with no machining marks.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Sorry to hear that.

FWIW, I'm extremely pleased with my Marine Original in polished SS case. |>

Would you mind posting some good pictures of the watch so we can understand what you mean?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Heck, polished is the way to go in my opinion. Having said that though, brushed is quite nice as well.

I frankly wouldn't worry about it. It will grow on you anyway.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Each to his own. I have two polished Stowas, one brushed Stowa and a bead blasted Stowa. I wish they were all brushed, the nicest finish of the lot to my eyes. :) So did you sell it or withdraw it?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay. What a pitty that you dont like it. Did you ask Jörg to bead blasted your MO? How much would it be?

Klaus
No, I didn't ask specifically about bead blasting as I "ASSumed" ;-) that's what we were talking about all along. The brushed case is an extra 50 euros.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Each to his own. I have two polished Stowas, one brushed Stowa and a bead blasted Stowa. I wish they were all brushed, the nicest finish of the lot to my eyes. :) So did you sell it or withdraw it?
I have a trade working.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry to hear that.

FWIW, I'm extremely pleased with my Marine Original in polished SS case. |>

Would you mind posting some good pictures of the watch so we can understand what you mean?
My Canon PowerShot S230 can't take a picture detailed enough. I need Michael Sandler's set up :-D

The basic difference is this: brushed cases have brush marks. I'm sure that's what people who like brushed cases admire about them--it adds something they like. A matte case has no machine or brush marks. That's what I like about them.

This shouldn't be interpreted as a Stowa-bash. I still like the design of the watch. The dial and hands are beautiful. Communication from Stowa was excellent. I still think they are a good company. My only complaint is that they should change their description.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts