WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 2014 Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch which was serviced by Omega UK earlier this year. I love the watch and wear it every day, and I wind it each morning before putting it on. Yesterday when I went to wind it I noticed that it had stopped about 30 minutes earlier, around 24 hours since last wound.

One aspect of winding seems to have changed since its service. Prior to the service I would wind the watch and eventually the winder came to a hard stop and the movement could not be wound further. Subsequent to the service the winder does not come to a hard stop, there is a little resistance as winding continues but it never actually gets to a hard stop.

Any thoughts as to what may be happening here? Seems to my (inexpert) eye that something may be slipping and the movement is not being wound properly?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Hi all,

I have a 2014 Speedmaster Pro Moonwatch which was serviced by Omega UK earlier this year. I love the watch and wear it every day, and I wind it each morning before putting it on. Yesterday when I went to wind it I noticed that it had stopped about 30 minutes earlier, around 24 hours since last wound.

One aspect of winding seems to have changed since its service. Prior to the service I would wind the watch and eventually the winder came to a hard stop and the movement could not be wound further. Subsequent to the service the winder does not come to a hard stop, there is a little resistance as winding continues but it never actually gets to a hard stop.

Any thoughts as to what may be happening here? Seems to my (inexpert) eye that something may be slipping and the movement is not being wound properly?
Sounds like either the mainspring is broke or not attached to the outer barrel properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sounds like something is broken in the main spring barrel, i.e. The end that should be fixed in place has broken off or come loose so now it's grinding away inside (friction vs a hard stop). The reduction in power reserve seems to support this. Take it back and get it fixed under warranty which should be 2 years from when it was serviced.

Be cordial but disappointed and try to get them to throw in a freebie trinket of some kind to make you feel better :). I've always had some issues with my full services (and one warranty tune up) and while they shouldn't happen I always get something out of it depending how badly they've messed up.

X-33 G2 Full Service: Service was fine but it was delayed by a few weeks. I got a free Omega toiletries bag that I gave to my parents.

X-33 G2 Full Service years later: Came back with loose bezel, misaligned seconds hand and one pusher not working correctly. Second time came back with crown that collapsed as soon as I tried to use it. Wrote a letter to Omega CS with a sob story, polite but firm and asked for an upgraded movement as compensation. They apologised for the problems and agreed to the movement upgrade. While they shouldn't have made the mistakes in the first place the watch came back perfect and with a 1666C movement in it for free so was happy overall.

De Ville Chronoscope GMT: Sent in for adjustment under warranty (was gaining 10-12 sec/day). Came back with a busted crown. Second time I think the start/stoop pusher had an issue. As before I emailed Omega CS and they apologised, ensured a Senior Watchmaker would work on the watch and threw in a full service (was NOS so that was useful) as well. The head of the service centre also called me to apologise for the problems. Not ideal once again but worked out fine in the end.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Sounds like something is broken in the main spring barrel, i.e. The end that should be fixed in place has broken off or come loose so now it's grinding away inside (friction vs a hard stop). The reduction in power reserve seems to support this. Take it back and get it fixed under warranty which should be 2 years from when it was serviced.

Be cordial but disappointed and try to get them to throw in a freebie trinket of some kind to make you feel better :). I've always had some issues with my full services (and one warranty tune up) and while they shouldn't happen I always get something out of it depending how badly they've messed up.

X-33 G2 Full Service: Service was fine but it was delayed by a few weeks. I got a free Omega toiletries bag that I gave to my parents.

X-33 G2 Full Service years later: Came back with loose bezel, misaligned seconds hand and one pusher not working correctly. Second time came back with crown that collapsed as soon as I tried to use it. Wrote a letter to Omega CS with a sob story, polite but firm and asked for an upgraded movement as compensation. They apologised for the problems and agreed to the movement upgrade. While they shouldn't have made the mistakes in the first place the watch came back perfect and with a 1666C movement in it for free so was happy overall.

De Ville Chronoscope GMT: Sent in for adjustment under warranty (was gaining 10-12 sec/day). Came back with a busted crown. Second time I think the start/stoop pusher had an issue. As before I emailed Omega CS and they apologised, ensured a Senior Watchmaker would work on the watch and threw in a full service (was NOS so that was useful) as well. The head of the service centre also called me to apologise for the problems. Not ideal once again but worked out fine in the end.
OK, good to know that SG is not only incompetent in the USA but their incompetence knows no country boundary! ;-(
I've had similar issues with my SMP 300 Chrono each time I gave it in for service.
Hats off to you for putting up with that nonsense! It's unacceptable to me. I suppose everyone has different limits & expectations.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks for you insight Bugbait; something amiss in the mainspring barrel certainly makes sense as the cause of the problem.

Sorry to hear of your issues with the Service Centre. We all make the odd mistake but to have three issues might suggest all is not well with 'the system'.

I am not particularly looking forward to dealing with the UK Service Centre again. When my watch came back from service in February the hand on the minute sub-register was misaligned, as in 'tell at a quick glance' misaligned. It made me concerned about their level of quality control and that of the Omega boutique, who claimed to have examined it on its return. It was returned for the Service Centre to correct the misalignment and on return it STILL wasn't perfect, although it was much less noticeable. It was suggested on here that I get Omega to return the watch to Omega HQ in Switzerland for repair and they did give me the opportunity to do so. However by that stage I had already been without my watch for a total of 10 weeks and decided to live with the slight, but annoying misalignment. I think this time I shall ask for the watch to be sent to Switzerland for repair - TBH I do not have much faith in the UK Service Centre.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Hi all,

How many turns have you wound the crown? My first suggestion is to wind it 100 turns - if it doesn't come to stop you have an issue, but if it does, you simply have not been fully winding it.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How many turns have you wound the crown? My first suggestion is to wind it 100 turns - if it doesn't come to stop you have an issue, but if it does, you simply have not been fully winding it.

Cheers, Al
Thanks Al. It doesn't come to a stop no matter how many turns it is wound so it's back to the Omega Boutique this evening for me and my watch.

·
Registered
34 Posts
OK, good to know that SG is not only incompetent in the USA but their incompetence knows no country boundary! ;-(
I've had similar issues with my SMP 300 Chrono each time I gave it in for service.
Hats off to you for putting up with that nonsense! It's unacceptable to me. I suppose everyone has different limits & expectations.
That's probably Omega's (well Swatch's) biggest weakness at the moment in my mind They really need to step up their service centre quality if they want to bring up their brand reputation.

While I prefer their service centres to be better (of course), they have never tired to make excuses or refuse to address my concerns. Something I forgot about the X-33 G2 second service, one of the key reasons I put it in was a failure in the clasp spring. After 8 years of continual use, being worn and unworn multiple times every day it was reasonable. When it came back after service the first time the clasp felt strange, in a bad way. A bit spongy on one side and didn't confidently lock. They agreed to replace the entire clasp at no extra charge.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
An update - visited the Omega Boutique last night and had a long conversation with the store manager.

It was agreed without hassle that the watch would go to Omega HQ in Switzerland for repair, and I will probably receive a free next service for the inconvenience.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
An update - visited the Omega Boutique last night and had a long conversation with the store manager.

It was agreed without hassle that the watch would go to Omega HQ in Switzerland for repair, and I will probably receive a free next service for the inconvenience.
Sounds like they are taking care of it. What did they mean by “probably”? Something the AD is guessing?

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Thanks Al. It doesn't come to a stop no matter how many turns it is wound so it's back to the Omega Boutique this evening for me and my watch.
Well, it's unusual for a brand new mainspring (which presumably would have been replaced in the recent service) to break, but it does happen sometimes. My guess is that the welded tang may have come off from the main body of the spring. If the spring breaks out at the tang end the watch can run and run well for quite some time. If it breaks in at the barrel arbor, the watch will simply stop completely.

Anyway, sounds like Omega is taking care of you - assuming this is a warranty repair and then maybe another service free after that.

Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it's unusual for a brand new mainspring (which presumably would have been replaced in the recent service) to break, but it does happen sometimes. My guess is that the welded tang may have come off from the main body of the spring. If the spring breaks out at the tang end the watch can run and run well for quite some time. If it breaks in at the barrel arbor, the watch will simply stop completely.

Anyway, sounds like Omega is taking care of you - assuming this is a warranty repair and then maybe another service free after that.

Let us know how it turns out.

Cheers, Al
Thanks Al, the welded tang coming off the main body of the spring sounds plausible. The watch ran normally but with a reduced power reserve of 24-28 hours.

I will post again with the outcome.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Curious, my experience with ADs is that their service is rather lackluster when compared to boutiques. Personnel at two different ADs tried to dismiss my complaints about an SMPc a few years ago with excuses, instead of recognizing that a watch that had just been serviced shouldn't run plus 19 seconds a day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts