WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i normally wear a Fossil Architekt or a Citizen Eco-Drive, and i decided to get an all-digital watch. naturally i found my way to the G-Shocks looking around online, so i bought a DW-5600E:

i like it, BUT - i have to wear it on the next-to-last notch, because my wrist is nearly too large for it. several times since i bought it (brand new) it has fallen off my wrist from being stretched too far or clasped too close to the end of the strap.

are there g-shock models made for larger wrists, or do i just buy whatever watch i want and purchase longer wristbands for it? what are my options?

help me out, guys :)

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
You can put adapters on most G Shocks so you can wear them with a Zulu type resin strap should be long enough. I love my Pathfinder PRG 80 its almost G Shock strong but extra large with BIG digits and a very long strap.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Wrist size? Budget? Solar/Atomic? I'm a Atomic Frogman addict and it is perfect for large wrists but it is expensive and there are some other G's out there that are as big and cost a lot less. Check out the GX line or the 200 series of frogman. Both work for large wristed guys. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
wrist size is about 8.25"

budget is anywhere from $60 - $130. bought the 5600 because of the overwhelming reviews, i like it fine but it's too snug.

atomic/solar would be cool but not a dealbreaker either way, i would buy one with or without those features.

was looking at the GX56 earlier today, but didnt know if "biggest" meant just the watch face/casing or band and all. do g-shocks have sizes or are they all "fits all"?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
can a few of you guys do this for me: what's your wrist-size, what g-shock do you wear most, and how roomy is it? that should give me a good idea which model fits what size.

would really appreciate anyone taking the time :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
8.25, Atomic frogman, fourth notch from end. 200 series third notch from end. Not tight, not loose. Just right.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
It helps if we know your location. Some areas have sellers where you can see lots of G's in person. The King that folks refer to is just like your 5600 with atomic / solar in an oversize resin case. Big disappointment to me that they basically dropped in a module very much like the GW5525 they did not use larger digits. <| They do look cool b-)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
gotcha, sorry - haven't taken the time to update profile info too much. locale is Greenville, South Carolina. Macy's/etc aplenty here but no Casio retailers that i'm aware of that would have a very large selection.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Re: Recommend a G-Shock for bigger wrists! (8.25")

I have a G-300, my wrist is 7.75", and I still have 3 holes to spare on the strap.

Good luck,
NOM

·
Registered
191 Posts

I've been going through a digital phase myself lately. Over the past 6 months, I've bought and worn- a PRG-130y , pag-240b, paw 1100t GX-56, GWF-1000, paw-1500 and 2 suunto cores. Really couldn't say which is worn the most. The last time I measured my wrist it was 8.5, and all these watches fit comfortably. The only one in your stated price range is the 56. It may not be popular opinion here, but I'd be checking out the pathfinder/protrek range or toss in another hundred bucks and get a core.

·
Registered
902 Posts

I recommend 6900 series as it sits very comfortable on my 7,9 wrist. Just perfect fit. Will be better even on bigger wrists :)

Peace

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

tried on about 50 g-shocks today and almost all were the same size as my 5600E. no one had a King or Riseman for me to try on, which was disappointing. the one that seemed to fit the best was a current-gen Mudman, which was really comfortable.

seems like the bands that have 2 parallel tracks of clasp-holes are a bit looser fit versus the single-track bands, does anyone have one of each to see if the bands are longer on one or the other?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

so right now im down to these 4:

$115:

$72:

$70:

$68:

decisions!

·
Registered
249 Posts

With your wrist size you're definitely a candidate for a GX-56, but I can also warmly recommend the G-7900.
Very substantial but comfortable on the wrist. It also has one the best modules among the affordable line of Gs and can be had for a reasonable price.
Can't say for sure if the strap will be long enough for you, but you should take a look at it.
I have the olive-drab version and love it to bits:

1 - 20 of 43 Posts