WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hello all. i've been looking at g shocks on the net and my girlfriend likes baby gs. she has 2, 1 pink and 1 blue. but dont ask me about the model coz i dont know anything about these watches! :roll:
please recommend a g shock for me :-!

i work in my farm and i need a good all around watch that i can wear at work and when i go out to the mall. i prefer a metal band because i have a resin watch already but different brand.

i need a watch with functions like compass, stopwatch, alarm, and thermometer. but i need a very durable one because i get my hands on a lot of dirt and biological/organic matter like crap, live vaccines, food, etc.

so the watch i prefer is one that is not a magnet for dirt and grime. and can be easily cleaned. because these tend to sneak into the small spaces in my present watch.
:thanks:thanks:thanks

p.s. how does hard water affect g shock? i have stains on the face of my current watch they look like water stains on the windows of cars when it rains and you dont wipe the water off. help!!!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
hello all. i've been looking at g shocks on the net and my girlfriend likes baby gs. she has 2, 1 pink and 1 blue. but dont ask me about the model coz i dont know anything about these watches! :roll:
please recommend a g shock for me :-!

i work in my farm and i need a good all around watch that i can wear at work and when i go out to the mall. i prefer a metal band because i have a resin watch already but different brand.

i need a watch with functions like compass, stopwatch, alarm, and thermometer. but i need a very durable one because i get my hands on a lot of dirt and biological/organic matter like crap, live vaccines, food, etc.

so the watch i prefer is one that is not a magnet for dirt and grime. and can be easily cleaned. because these tend to sneak into the small spaces in my present watch.
:thanks:thanks:thanks

p.s. how does hard water affect g shock? i have stains on the face of my current watch they look like water stains on the windows of cars when it rains and you dont wipe the water off. help!!!
Hello, the best option...THE MUDMAN.:-!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
With a compass and thermometer among your requirements, you've actually excluded all G-Shocks...

You could look at the Protrek / Pathfinder watches, but many of these might be too bulky for farm work.

I would also favour resin, because it is much easier to clean. Metal bands will inevitably accumulate dirt in the work you do.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh :( ill go to a store on sunday to look at the watches. the reason why i dont like resin too much is because it traps the sweat and dirt and doesnt allow my skin to breathe. yuck! hehe

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
One problem you may experience with your type of work and all of the "ABC" (Altimter, Barometer, Compass) watches is that they all have sensors of some sort. Sensors mean holes in the case... holes in the case mean gunk in the case if you do your kind of work. I would consider maybe two watches... I know thats not what you wnat to hear, but give your kind of work I would want a straight up 200M G Shock. Then I woudl get an ABC watch for play.

There are so many cool G's out there on metal. I dont know if you dig analog hands but I jsut got a 1210 and its freaking AWESOME! Solar, atomic, analog, with LED lights!

The MTG 9XX line may do it for you... solar, atomic, all digital...

These MRG watches would but they are pretty hard to find... a little smaller...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow! what is the exact model/series of the first one? its looks real good. atomic would be no use for me here in the rice fields in the philippines. but i do get a lot of sun...and rain...hehe

if theres a watch like that without the atomic thing, it would be great for me style-wise. having the feature means added cost and batt consumption that i cant take advantage of.

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Thats a GW1210A

Check out HB Watches... HERE IS THE LINK... I just did a simple search for Metal and Analog/Digital.

You may not buy from them... but you can see lots of different styles. I woudl jsut search around... there are SO many models out there!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks! i havent exaCTLY checked the prices at the local dealers we have here. but at least i have price for comparison. :D

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
thanks! i havent exaCTLY checked the prices at the local dealers we have here. but at least i have price for comparison. :D
Do you know of 21Jewels? His prices are good and his service excellent. Although his range isn't huge, he can get watches in for you.
http://www.21jewels.com/index.asp

Btw, we get the atomic signal from Japan here in Oz, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if you get it in the Philippines. I would also suggest you get a 200m G-shock just because of the humidity and tough working conditions.

I quite like this all digital G-shock (metal band)...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
really? from what station do you think? maybe there is one in your area?
that sounds encouraging!

i don't want to buy online though. the freight system is not so good here. and if i need service, it would be more convenient if i get from the local AD. the downside is the limited selection in the local stores.

i hope the 1210 Jeff_C posted is available here at a reasonable price.

Do you know of 21Jewels? His prices are good and his service excellent. Although his range isn't huge, he can get watches in for you.
http://www.21jewels.com/index.asp

Btw, we get the atomic signal from Japan here in Oz, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if you get it in the Philippines. I would also suggest you get a 200m G-shock just because of the humidity and tough working conditions.

I quite like this all digital G-shock (metal band)...

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
We get the signals from the Japanese atomic stations. It bounces off the ionisphere at night like old ham radios do.

21Jewels has a real shop in Singapore I think, but he has free worldwide shipping, and Freddie's back-up service is excellent. I've bought 4 watches from him and he even called me in Aus to apologise for a delay in the shipping which I didn't even know about. |>

·
Registered
503 Posts
Dude, can't help you with the compass/thermometer requirement because, like other people have said, there's no existing g-shock with those functions all included. If you're on a farm and you're getting into all kinds of dirt, sludge, crap, etc., get a G-9000 mudman. They come in all sorts of colors and styles and they're mudresistant! Casio Sales & Service has them in stock for around $70 I think. Here's a pic of the atomic one I used to have:

Oh, and here's how the non-atomic G-9000 looks like. Normal one looks all in black with red buttons btw, the one I have is a variation:

Quick list of G-9000 features: World time, two stopwatches, multi-alarm including snooze and signal, countdown timer

·
Registered
445 Posts
I'd get a dw5600 and buy a slip on analog compass. You'd have it all, a low profile G that doesn't get hung up on things, an easy to clean, few nooks and crannies watch. The band is one of the most comfortable on a G-Shock. The only thing missing would be a thermometer, but you wouldn't want an electronic one built into the watch because as others said it would let gunk in. You could probably find an analog thermometer to slip on the band as well.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
@ goldendragon,

my advise is, if you want a metal G with bracelet go for an all-digital rather then an ana-digi model. ana-digis may look nice but you sacrifice often important features and you have to make to many compromises. I tried them but they don't work for me (well my G-741D does work as a great looking dress watch but not as a serious tool watch).

also if you work on a farm, I second the recommendation of locomoco to get a mudman G-9000 or GW-9000, it might be the best watch for the job.

if you MUST have a compass, barometer, altimeter and thermometer then there will be no g-shock for you. however the PAW-1300 pathfinder (pro-trek) series fulfills all your requiements and I think they can also handle a lot of dirt even with sensors, because they were made and meant as tough outdoor watches:

regards, holger

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
What functions does one sacrifice with an analog / digital like the 12XX series?
The only down side of functionality are the smaller windows... (imho).

True some analog/digitals do sacrifice on some features but I cant imagine what on the series I have mentioned. Atomic, Solar, CDT, Stopwatch, Multiple alarms, WT, EL (LED) light.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
What functions does one sacrifice with an analog / digital like the 12XX series?
The only down side of functionality are the smaller windows... (imho).

hi jeff,

right the smaller windows are on the down side. IMO the biggest mistake is how casio illuminates ana-digi watches. this might not be a big issue for others but it is a HUGE one for me. what is a super bright blue led good for (I assume thats how your watch illuminates) if the digital part remain in darkness. on the contary side: how useful are el-backlights for the digital parts if you can't see the hands in the dark? we all know that the (so called) luminous paint casio uses, is not exactly a bright star in the sky...

watch illumination has become one of the most important features for me in the last 2-3 years somehow and thats exactly why I prefer and recommend tritium vials in analog watches - its just unrivaled. the el-backlight on an all-digital watch is next best thing, everything other I personally consider insufficient.

also an issue is, that often the digital parts are covered by the hands, mostly when you need to know the date or so. i haven't seen one ana-digi to date with an countdown timer greater than 60min (correct me if I'm wrong) and lots of them only have a 60 min stopwatch as well.

one big plus however, is that they of course always show the current time in any mode regardless which one, something that we do not see on to many all-digitals unfortunately.

regards, holger

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
You are correct on the illumination. As cool as the LEDs are, they do nothing for the digital windows. I guess its not a big issue for me. All i usually need is the time at night and even the lume on the 1210 that i have is sufficient. And of course if I need to read, I could use the LEDs LOL...

If Lume were an important issue for me I would wear my Luminox or another kind. I thought your post meant that the watch would always have to give up FUNCTIONS... meaning "module modes" I was just trying to point out that you don't always have to give up modes.

The windows in my 1500 were always too small for me, but the windows in the 12XX seem larger and more legible.

good points!

·
Registered
763 Posts
With a compass and thermometer among your requirements, you've actually excluded all G-Shocks...

You could look at the Protrek / Pathfinder watches, but many of these might be too bulky for farm work.

I would also favour resin, because it is much easier to clean. Metal bands will inevitably accumulate dirt in the work you do.
The DW-9800 Wademan is a G-Shock and has both compass and thermometer! :-!

http://www.g-peopleland.com/Wademan.htm

Rusty

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the wademan looks nice and chunky :D i hope its available here at a good price :D

cal.45. , i think the ana/digi will be more for ease of viewing the time. i have analog watch right now. is the digital easy to read in very bright sunlight? i have hard time reading my cellphone during 11am-2pm outdoors because if the sun. will it affect the view of the digital?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts