WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,
A friend and I started climbing the 9 peaks over 12,000 feet in our state. I like watches so I have decided to buy myself a watch to commemorate the accomplishment.

Watch background....Always loved them. Always had watches cheap ones. I have a few watches right now. Nothing fancy Citizen, Seiko, Timex, Original Grain, Fossil, Casio. I get them based on function and/or looks. Oh and reasonable cost. Watch future..... Would like to get some nicer pieces but don't have a burning desire to get a "grail" watch. Ready to spend a little more.

Right now the obvious choice to commemorate the accomplishment is the Seiko Alpinist. What are your suggestions? I am not in a hurry as it will still be a couple more summers before we get them all in.

Oh spending a little more than normal would be ok since we are planning on finishing the year we turn 50. So birthday gift.......
Hoping this "productive" midlife crisis. :)

Thanks your input

·
Registered
519 Posts
Are you talking about climbing as in rock climbing, or hiking/mountaineering? If it's hiking/mountaineering I'd say get a watch that you actually want to wear while you do the hikes. I think there will be a stronger connection between the accomplishment and the watch that way. I don't wear watches when rock climbing, and if you don't either then I guess the commemorative watch could be anything.

·
Registered
8,090 Posts
Watch Analog watch Clock Grey Watch accessory

·
Registered
Seiko Alpinist
90 Posts
About How long do you have until that purchase time? Maybe consider a Rolex Explorer 1, it’d be quite a piece to mark those milestones with! And your story leading up to purchase might sway the AD to sell to you (crazy times these are in buying Rolex…).

Edit: above poster beat me to it! Haha

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Christopher Ward Sealander basic or titanium..

After your finished, pass the story up to CW and I would bet they do a write up in their magazine on you.

What a great story it would make for you AND them....

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you talking about climbing as in rock climbing, or hiking/mountaineering? If it's hiking/mountaineering I'd say get a watch that you actually want to wear while you do the hikes. I think there will be a stronger connection between the accomplishment and the watch that way. I don't wear watches when rock climbing, and if you don't either then I guess the commemorative watch could be anything.
Definitely not rock climbing! Hiking, scrambling, class 3 at the most. Might have to do one in very early summer when snow covers a particularly nasty scree filled gully to make it “easier.”

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can read up on Sir Edmund Hillary and the first successful expedition to the summit of Everest - and Smiths’ role in that event.

View attachment 16121684

(Or you can always pick up a Rolex Explorer for about $10K).
That’s funny! I’m a teacher. Little out of my budget. Thank you for the Smiths suggestions. Will do some research.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Giving a price range might help. I think the Explorer is probably the most logical but that is not in the price range for everyone. The Smiths is a good lower priced option but knowing what you are willing to spend will allow for more useful advice. Also, maybe a preferred size might help avoid suggestion that won't fit your comfort zone as far as watches.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About How long do you have until that purchase time? Maybe consider a Rolex Explorer 1, it’d be quite a piece to mark those milestones with! And your story leading up to purchase might sway the AD to sell to you (crazy times these are in buying Rolex…).

Edit: above poster beat me to it! Haha
I think any Rolex is going to be above my budget.

·
Registered
8,284 Posts
Well, there's only three states that can be. Alaska, California, Colorado, or Wyoming. If it's California, get a Weiss. If it's Colorado, get a Cole or Vortic. I don't know if there's any watch brands based in Alaska or Wyoming. Though I'm pretty sure all of them have more than 9 peaks taller than 12,000 feet.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
The Seiko "Willard" re-release (SPB151) is a great adventure watch. Furthermore the original (aside from obviously being worn in Apocalypse Now) was also worn by famous Japanese adventurer and and mountain climber Naomi Uemura; who was the first man to reach the North Pole Solo, climb Delani, as well as other feats.

Watch Water Sky Plant Nature

Watch Analog watch Product Tableware Clock

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
There are few watch brands - outside of, say, a Garmin - that I would take with on something that strenuous and trust them to survive.

Sinn, Marathon, and Lum-Tec all make ridiculously over-engineered watches.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts