WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there! Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this since this is my first post. I want to buy my first automatic but would like to hear some recommendations. My budget is 400 dollars (maybe a bit more if something truly catches my eye). I’d prefer a diver but I’m open to other styles. I’m currently looking at the Orient Triton and want to know what you guys think. Would it be way too big for my 6.75 inch wrists? I’m in high school so they are still growing. Thanks! I’m also looking at the SARB035 but I’m not sure I love it.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
This but don't pay that much.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve actually been looking at the Turtle! What do you think would be a good price? They’re 372 on Long Island Watch.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Welcome.

Look into the Seiko 5 line up. Plenty of different colours/styles to choose from

the ones pictured are 40mm which should be fine for your wrist size

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
I second a Seiko Diver. Absolutely rock solid and competitive at all price levels.

Here is a vid that talks about them:

Oh and this one too.

(I personally have an early 2000s Orange face SKX with their workhorse 7S26A auto movement and goddamn if it never ever breaks). It's a great first watch and you'll probably have it a long time.

I think they still sell them SKX011J1 is the orange face.

·
1 Posts
Agree on the Seiko. You won't go wrong and it'll be a good base to start expanding your watch collection from there.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I’ve actually been looking at the Turtle! What do you think would be a good price? They’re 372 on Long Island Watch.
I think thats a "fair" price...I paid $279 but they've gone up and I had to wait for it to come from Japan....$319 now so the extra $53 might be worth the hassle/wait.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Agree on the Seiko. You won't go wrong and it'll be a good base to start expanding your watch collection from there.
It seems that’s what most are recommending. Is Seiko quality better than a Orient? I must admit I like the Turtle and SBDC053

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think thats a "fair" price...I paid $279 but they've gone up and I had to wait for it to come from Japan....$319 now so the extra $53 might be worth the hassle/wait.

May I ask where you bought yours? On eBay they seem to be much cheaper. For under 400 I can get the King Turtle with sapphire and ceramic bezel. Not sure how I feel about the cyclops though

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
There are cheaper Seiko Divers but they may not hack, quickset or hand wind. Price is a good indicator...I use to love my 007j for example but it had its downside.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
May I ask where you bought yours? On eBay they seem to be much cheaper. For under 400 I can get the King Turtle with sapphire and ceramic bezel. Not sure how I feel about the cyclops though
Sure...Japan they've just gone up since even beginning of the year. Not sure this watch needs a ceramic bezel LOL- but that is personal preference.
I paid $237 and $269 for the "save the oceans" as I thought the blue dial looked cool.

Reactions: Accurate-soup

·
Registered
959 Posts
The Turtle is deceptive about its size. It's wide, but the short lug length means it works great with small size wrists too. I've got about 6.5....6.75 wrists myself and generally prefer much smaller watches, but that was my go to daily workhorse for a few years. I only wear it less now since I put an SNA411 Flightmaster on an Erika's Originals strap, and that's taken over that default role. The Turtle is a rock solid option and tough as nails.

Orient make good watches too, but I don't like the Triton model. Its basically an oversized SKX and that power reserve is a sin on a diver.

The SARBs are fantastic watches and I was just extolling their virtues the other day, but I think they don't match your use case. I wouldn't suggest wearing a SARB to school. If you so want to consider something more classic/clean but still a bit casual, perhaps the SRPE51 fits the bill?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Turtle is deceptive about its size. It's wide, but the short lug length means it works great with small size wrists too. I've got about 6.5....6.75 wrists myself and generally prefer much smaller watches, but that was my go to daily workhorse for a few years. I only wear it less now since I put an SNA411 Flightmaster on an Erika's Originals strap, and that's taken over that default role. The Turtle is a rock solid option and tough as nails.

Orient make good watches too, but I don't like the Triton model. Its basically an oversized SKX and that power reserve is a sin on a diver.

The SARBs are fantastic watches and I was just extolling their virtues the other day, but I think they don't match your use case. I wouldn't suggest wearing a SARB to school. If you so want to consider something more classic/clean but still a bit casual, perhaps the SRPE51 fits the bill?
Yeah I’m still not sure how I feel about the pr indicator on the Triton and wish it was smaller. I was thinking the same thing with the SARB as it doesn’t make sense buying an expensive dress watch since I dress casually all the time. I’ve looked at those new 5s but would want to wait until the hype dies down so there will be some more discounts

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
The Turtle is deceptive about its size. It's wide, but the short lug length means it works great with small size wrists too. I've got about 6.5....6.75 wrists myself and generally prefer much smaller watches, but that was my go to daily workhorse for a few years.
I would agree about how the Turtle wears...Normally I would never wear even consider a 45mm watch. I am not small but find that 40-43mm is my absolute max...my only 43mm is my Navitimer and only because Breitling forced me to wear it! LOL

All the huge watches will never end up being "classics" in my opinion and look silly but that is another post!

·
Registered
153 Posts
As mentioned, the Seiko 5 divers are a great choice, and so is the Turtle. It fits my wrist, which is 6.5", so it should likely fit your 6.75" wrist. It definitely has wrist presence. Another great option for a diver under $400 is the Orient Kamasu. Wears really well, offers 200M water resistance, has a sapphire crystal and can be found for under $250 - even around $200. I've recommended the MAEN Hudson here in the past, which you might like if you want a diver but with a little dressier look.

A final suggestion: if you can find a Christopher Ward C60 or C65 used for around $500, it would be hard to go wrong with that.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Oh, and I might add, it's great to hear that someone in high school is interested in getting an automatic watch, and not just opting for an Apple Watch. Welcome to the community! I hope your interest in watches lasts a lifetime.

·
Registered
597 Posts
-Seiko PADI Turtle or any of the other Turtles
-Glycine Combat Sub. About 400 color options

Can’t go wrong with either.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts