WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Back in the 80s I had a couple old-school G-Shocks that I loved. The more features the better. Not quite two years ago I bought a new black Riseman that is fantastic: solar-powered, radio-controlled, altimeter, barometer, etc., for well under $200.

Today it's still perfect and I just gave it to my 13 year old son. So I might be on the prowl for another.

Any models out there "cooler" than the Riseman? What's the story with some of the orange-cased models I see here and there? I also like some of the models I've seen with the reverse LCD.

What modern/current G-Shocks do you like? I would definitely need one with a street price under $200.

Thanks!
Chris

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
The choices are very wide and deep in the land of G-Shocks, Chris. The Riseman is definitely a cool watch, although a bit anemic on the size of the tidegraph. But if you really like it, consider getting the MIMB (Men in Mat Black) version. There's also one with a reverse purple LCD that looks pretty wild. Otherwise... well, the new GW-9300 is pretty nice, with the compass feature.

I'd suggest taking your time and just browse through the latest "Incoming" thread. If aesthetics is just part of the equation, make a list of functions/features that you need and want, then go from there to eliminate models that don't fit. You might also want to consider getting a few interesting used models instead of just one new watch. Some CASIO models can drop rather prominently in price on resale. It's always fun to have a choice.

Also... I remember you admiring the GX-56 King Mudman. Maybe it's time to get one? ;-)

·
Registered
990 Posts
I have to agree with Xevious on this one, if you are a big fan of features the G9300 is definitely the way to go, unless you want to venture towards a Pro-Trek. The PRW5100G-4 is Black with orange accents and a ton of features.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Just basic features but definitely cool :-d:-d
orange King GX-56-4

So cool that I had to get the black one too - GX-56-1

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
935 Posts
Any models out there "cooler" than the Riseman? What's the story with some of the orange-cased models I see here and there? I also like some of the models I've seen with the reverse LCD.
''cooler'' than a Riseman......?

IMPO, only a Frogman is ''cooler'' than a Riseman - under $200 it just ain't gonna happen though!

Orange case....reverse LCD.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
Lots of cool G-Shocks, and I am a big fan of the Orange King that Sedi mentioned. I also like this blue Mudman G-9000MX. It has one of the most legible displays for an LCD.

Attachments

·
Registered
596 Posts
If more the feature, the better, have you looked into the Pathfinder/Protrek line by Casio? Not only altimeter and barometer but also a compass as well (ABC watch). Some may argue that they are not as tough as G-Shock but still tough enough for anything most of us can throw at it. Most of them are rated 100m WR but the 1500 and 2500 lines are 200m WR if that is important to you even though most diving computers are only rated down to 100m anyway. I would personally suggest a resin band model instead of the titanium since the titanium band is prone to scratches. The PAW2000 line is a thinner model and so is the PAW1300 but the 2000 is newer. Some may also argue (cal. 45) that the AB functions of the Casios are useless and certainly yes, they may not be as accurate as some other ABC watches, but they are definitely more watches than the rest, which are more ABC instruments that tell time. If you have more questions, dont hesitate to ask.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts