WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am new to Watchuseek and was trying to figure out what the next watch i should buy. I have been working for 2 years now since graduating college and i would like to buy a watch that is stylish, good value, and will last. I have been saving money but really am not able to allow myself to spend more than 1k on a watch so i might be willing to splurge but only if there are good reasons to.. and this is where I ask for your advice. Please help.

I have a small wrist so would prefer not to have an oversized watch.

I currently own a Skagen 107SSSP but the battery has recently died and which is why i am thinking of buying a new watch:

http://www.amazon.com/Skagen-Swarovski-Crystal-Ladies-107SSSP/dp/B001WAKQA6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I started looking at the Michele Deco watches because the shape caught my interest and it was recommended by a friend; since Deco is kind of too big for me, the Deco 16 is what ive been looking at. I'm interested in this Michele Deco 16 blue dial watch and i dont need all the diamonds so i've been able to calculate out what i would be spending if i got this one: (watch dial only $595; add stainless steel band ($895) or with blue leather band ($695)

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/michele...m_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-1_2_A

Are there better options i should be looking into? Are there things I should be taking into account?

Thank you.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Welcome!

To be fair, any quartz watch is going to go through batteries on a regular basis. Ladies' watches in traditional sizing (say 25mm and under) use small batteries in order to fit, and the lifespan is reduced somewhat compared to most larger watches or mens' watches. If that tradeoff's OK, realize that you'll be changing batteries every 2 years or so regardless.

The alternative would be an automatic watch, but sometimes that tradeoff requires a slight increase in thickness or eco-drive/solar. Citizen (eco-drive) makes great watches, but to my masculine tastes, their ladies' watches are frequently "old fashioned". Some are fine, but some are more for your mom or grandma. For automatics, you might look at Victorinox ladies' collection.

The other features to look for in terms of being able to "last" would be a watch that's mostly stainless steel and a sapphire crystal (glass) would be nice to have for scratch resistance. At this price point, the watches aren't made of solid gold/white gold/whatever, so any "gold" is going to be a thin layer that can scratch or wear with time. This is doubly true for the clasp or buckle, since that's going to wear against your desk.

Being a guy, I have no further specific advice on models since my role is the buyer and not the wearer ;-) I would say that Nordstrom's has a reputation of prices that are unreasonably high when alternative retailers exist. You might shop around once you find a model you like for the same thing elsewhere or something similar.

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Do you find yourself looking specifically at quartz (battery-powered) watches, or would automatics (self-winding, only gears and springs, no electronics) suit for your needs too?

·
Premium Member
7,000 Posts
Are there better options i should be looking into? Are there things I should be taking into account?

Thank you.
Hi, and welcome!

Yes, there are probably better options. :)

Things you should be taking into account?
Start with this thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/new-start-here-1059514.html

And let us know what you're interested in. Square, blue dialed watches only? That will narrow things down a lot. Square dial? Just something thing? Then we've got more options.

At your price point, there are a lot of very nice watchbrands selling very nice ladies' watches. Other posters have mentioned Christopher Ward (very cool watches in your price range), I might also suggest Victorinox (who make watches that are feminine, yet not overly "girly"), Hamilton (long history of watchmaking, very classy stuff), Mido (just because I recently bought a Mido), Tissot (Danica Patrick can't be wrong, can she?), Movado (they pretty much make one watch, but people really like it), Rado (different designs, mostly ultra-modern styling for women, but lots of small square options), Ebel (higher-end, but you can find a few models in the sub-$1K end), Edox (lots of square options for women), Baume & Mercier (another high-end brand with a few models in the sub-$1k range for women... super classy), and of course, Seiko (which has just about everything in every price range).

Yeah, that's a lot. My overarching suggestion would be not to buy a watch at a department store -- many of those watches are what are derrogatorily termed around here "fashion watches" -- meaning that the person whose name is on the watch didn't have any hand in manufacturing it, and the watches are oftentimes filled with fairly cheap parts whose price is jacked up based only on marketing. And maybe that's OK in this instance, but I think you might have fun looking at women's watches from a place that sells only watches, like Jomashop.com or Ashford.com, just to see if there's anything that piques your interest from those brands.

Reactions: sweetpotatokale

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
With a budget of $1K, yes, there are lots of better options. Do let us know what you like - looks, movement, size and so on.

Christopher Ward has some rectangular models on clearance for ~$415, including the Belisama series.

w90-swsnewest.jpg w90-sws2-6.jpg w90-sss.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hhmm that sounds right. The watch i have lasted two years and i still have to bring it somewhere to get the battery changed so im still going without the watch. So the higher priced solid gold watches have better scratch resistance? hmmm..

Thanks for the advice! I will try to shop around and compare prices.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, and welcome!

Yes, there are probably better options. :)

Things you should be taking into account?
Start with this thread: https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/new-start-here-1059514.html

And let us know what you're interested in. Square, blue dialed watches only? That will narrow things down a lot. Square dial? Just something thing? Then we've got more options.

At your price point, there are a lot of very nice watchbrands selling very nice ladies' watches. Other posters have mentioned Christopher Ward (very cool watches in your price range), I might also suggest Victorinox (who make watches that are feminine, yet not overly "girly"), Hamilton (long history of watchmaking, very classy stuff), Mido (just because I recently bought a Mido), Tissot (Danica Patrick can't be wrong, can she?), Movado (they pretty much make one watch, but people really like it), Rado (different designs, mostly ultra-modern styling for women, but lots of small square options), Ebel (higher-end, but you can find a few models in the sub-$1K end), Edox (lots of square options for women), Baume & Mercier (another high-end brand with a few models in the sub-$1k range for women... super classy), and of course, Seiko (which has just about everything in every price range).

Yeah, that's a lot. My overarching suggestion would be not to buy a watch at a department store -- many of those watches are what are derrogatorily termed around here "fashion watches" -- meaning that the person whose name is on the watch didn't have any hand in manufacturing it, and the watches are oftentimes filled with fairly cheap parts whose price is jacked up based only on marketing. And maybe that's OK in this instance, but I think you might have fun looking at women's watches from a place that sells only watches, like Jomashop.com or Ashford.com, just to see if there's anything that piques your interest from those brands.
Wow. Thanks for all the information and the link to the thread! This is what I needed. I was interested in the Michele's square blue dial and didnt know where to start looking for good/better alternatives but i will do a little more reading and window shopping as well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Definitely consider vintage options.

Ladies watches are generally not as collectable as gents, so you can probably afford an omega or something similar with your budget.

Also vintage gents watches are much smaller than what is common today, so it might fit your wrist too.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Automatics have a smoother "ticking" action and don't need a battery (powered by your motion) but you need to wear it at least every other day or the watch will wind down and stop. Quartz is slightly more accurate and either works or doesn't work (the battery going out isn't arguable.) Automatics may need to be serviced-- basically oiled-- every few years though. Neither choice is right or wrong-- they both have their upsides and downsides.

The solar watches (Citizen Eco-Drive being the main name brand) strike a compromise. They only need battery changes once a decade or so, but you need to give them some light. They don't need bright light every day and can go for a few weeks without light, but really that's all they need- occasional light to keep a charge. Under the proverbial hood, they're quartz watches, just with a solar charger for the battery.

Gold isn't necessarily more scratch resistant, but the top layer doesn't scratch *off*.

Honestly, if there's a gold layer on the dial side it's probably fine. That side doesn't get as much abuse and will probably take years to show any scratches. The buckle side is what's concerning. A gold plated buckle or clasp can start showing wear/scratches within a few months and if the scratches are deep enough, they don't buff out.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
Seiko SARB035 - might be a bit big though:
(borrowed pic)

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
I bought my wife this watch (it's a quarz, so you still need to change the battery)
cww11pink_zpsfff252ef.jpg
Swiss Made W11-SWW-Si W11 Amelia Watch from Christopher Ward
And I would take it off her any day (though with a different strap)
The good part it's quite sturdy (my wife managed to break my Seiko SKX but not this one yet), has a decent size and the crystal is just amazing.
The bad part is the lug size being 19mm and for me that it is quarz. For my wife, that is great, no setting it when she has not worn it for 2 days....

I also would recommend you to have a look at the Kemmner Tonneaue,
which is a guys watch but...
https://www.watchuseek.com/f67/kemmner-tonneau-dress-watch-review-377880.html
Don't forget to tell us once you bought a watch, we all love pictures!

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
A decent Quartz is HUGELY more accurate than a decent mechanical. Quartz would be +/- 15s per month, instead of +/- 15s per day.

Battery changes will always be an issue. Changing them yourself isn't hard, and will save you a ton of money. While you think of your next watch, I recommend getting a couple tools and changing your own battery. The tools will be less than $15, and you can get a 5-pack of the right battery for probably around $5 from Amazon. (get Energizer) The rest of your life, you'll pay yourself back for that small purchase; kind of like having a sewing kit for re-attaching buttons and maybe hemming a too-long pant leg.

In the longer term, why not consider a Seiko Solar or Citizen Eco-Drive in a style you like. Both Seiko and Citizen are accurate, high quality watches, and these solar ones won't need a battery every year, like most womens watches do. My mom has about 20 cheap womens quartzes, and I'm changing batteries in them about every other week. Solar is a great technology for womens watches, because the smaller case size means smaller batteries, and they never go more than about a year and a half. (mens analog quartz will sometimes go for 3+ years)

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
Oh, one more thing to look for, and this will raise the price about $100: get one with a sapphire glass crystal; as they are nearly IMPOSSIBLE to scratch. For a person that wears mostly just one watch, this is a worth investment.

Check Tissot watches. They're a great value in Swiss watches, and there are a LOT of nice watches for under $1k.

Do let us know what you end up with!

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Non-high accuracy quartz is inexpensive, and some fashion watches may well have quartz innards identical or similar to those in non-fashion watches. The differences, then, lie in other components. Sapphire crystal and solid casing would be my minimum requirements.

I too own the Christopher Ward W11 above. For the price, the details are very, very good. Its crystal is super-clear. Snapped one for you. (Apologies for the dust specks. The case needs a good wipe.)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts