WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Parnis Pilot with a seagull STxxx movement is suddenly running extremely fast. I figure it probably got magnetized somewhere.
I’m looking for an inexpensive demagnetizer like even on Amazon (I have a gift card). Can anyone recommend one?

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
4,738 Posts
The blue buzz box you see all over amazon for $10. Only problem is, it's pretty weak and maybe will or won't demagnetize a cased movement. The ones that you pass the watch through are better but more expensive.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blue buzz box you see all over amazon for $10. Only problem is, it's pretty weak and maybe will or won't demagnetize a cased movement. The ones that you pass the watch through are better but more expensive.
thanks. Well I’d rather spend a little more for something more reliable. Let me see what’s available on Amazon. I think I saw those types too

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So this arrived from Amazon. I passed my watch 3 times over it and it worked! Running fine again yay!

Gadget Gas Automotive exterior Electric blue Electronic device

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I bought one of these for some reason even though I don’t necessarily need it right now. Is it safe to use anyway as a just in case type of service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I mean I would use it only if you suspect demagnetization? I wouldn’t pass the watch over it on regular basis if that’s what you meant?

Reactions: MonkOfSkunk

·
Premium Member
Silicone Valley, California
4,738 Posts
I bought one of these for some reason even though I don’t necessarily need it right now. Is it safe to use anyway as a just in case type of service?
It's considered standard practice to demagnetize your parts before going into the cleaning solution. You don't want any iron shavings to stick to the iron parts.

The little blue buzz-box is adequate for a stripped movement or individual parts, so long as they get close. I put mine in a plastic tray with a lid and pass them over the box.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
corded drill or soldering gun

·
Registered
381 Posts
I found some instructions for demagnetizing that I have used in the past. If you have a difficult case, they might come in handy. Some guy called the manufacturer of the machine and these were the procedures he recommended.

Pull the crown to stop the movement before degaussing.

Hold the watch just above the matte area and while activating the button...

Move the watch forward and backward and side to side, repeatedly for about 10 seconds.

If the watch is held still over the center of the active pad, it will be magnetized. Lateral movement is essential for demagnetization.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I found some instructions for demagnetizing that I have used in the past. If you have a difficult case, they might come in handy. Some guy called the manufacturer of the machine and these were the procedures he recommended.

Pull the crown to stop the movement before degaussing.

Hold the watch just above the matte area and while activating the button...

Move the watch forward and backward and side to side, repeatedly for about 10 seconds.

If the watch is held still over the center of the active pad, it will be magnetized. Lateral movement is essential for demagnetization.
And this makes me question the $10-$15 blue mystery boxes. Because everyone has a different magic watch motion to use them. Hodinkee for example:

1. Start by holding your watch slightly above the smooth pad on the demagnetizer adjacent to the on/off switch. Some guides will advise that you can start with the watch resting fully on the demagnetizer, but I have found that holding the watch just above the actual plastic (usually by resting my fingertips on the device itself) ensures the best possible performance. Your results may vary, but the important part is coming up in the following steps.
  2. With one hand holding your watch, be ready to slowly but purposefully lift the watch straight up and away from the demagnetizer while using your other hand to press and hold the button.
  3. The light should come on when you press the button. You can now start to slowly raise the watch away from the device. The distance is not an exact science, but I like to go fairly high as a compass would suggest the area of effect is around 30cm (or about one foot). I usually go until the watch is at my eye line as you want to be well outside of the magnetic field created by the demagnetization tool.
  4. As the watch progresses towards the top of its travel, release the button.
  5. Bring the watch back down but do not put it back on the demagnetizer (it is a magnet, after all). You have just completed one demagnetization cycle (look at you, you're like a watch wizard!).
  6. After each cycle, retest your watch for magnetism until the effect is as minimal as possible.
Compare with Chrono24:

Also Escapement & Watch, who at least provide some validation with a time grapher:

Others will have different steps.

Then there’s the $40-$50 magic gray tunnel…

… which BTW is what Omega uses o_O

And here, too, there is dissention - compare the above to this site, and also Marc at LIW:

DIY watch demagnetization seems to be pseudo-science IMO.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You are absolutely correct. Inexact and anecdotal. Demagnetization for + 3 min/day is easy. The +15 spd demagnetization is hit or miss and may require 10-15 passes on the blue box. I believe there’s much FUD about pulling the crown with blue-boxes. The blue box does no harm to Seiko 5’s.

Caveat: The field is pulsed on the blue boxes, hence their comparative insensitivity to procedure. However, the non-pulsed field strength of some coil demagnetizers may distort the balance spring in some situations. Also, the low-duty, thermal cut-off ones may shut off while with the watch is in the core which magnetizes same.

If you are brave and intent upon performing a trick normally performed by a trained professional idiot, you may also magnetize a slow watch to regulate it!

Sent from my Motorola StarTac 7797 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
FWIW one of the commenters on the Hodinkee article I linked before provided this same comment. He claimed it came from the Chinese manufacturer for his particular blue mystery box. He also stated it’s the approach to more stubborn cases of magnetism.

·
Registered
381 Posts
FWIW one of the commenters on the Hodinkee article I linked before provided this same comment. He claimed it came from the Chinese manufacturer for his particular blue mystery box. He also stated it’s the approach to more stubborn cases of magnetism.
That's probably where I got it. I knew it was a comment made on someone else's post. I just saved the text on a document so I would have it.

Reactions: JTK Awesome
1 - 18 of 18 Posts